2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

header warpped

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007 | 03:02 PM
BradBeyer
|
Veteran
Default header warpped

If you look up from the bottom of the vehicle and see a little space between the header and the engine block...I have a warpped header right?

Is there a way to fix this?

Brad

Old 04-07-2007 | 07:03 PM
shott8283
Default RE: header warpped

depends on where its at.. if you notice on the header.. you got the tubes that meet up on each port from the head.. and then between each tube you have a connecter ... also called the flange... now the flange can warp out between tubes and still have a good seal.. this is VERY rare b/c usually when that section warps it will contract or expand the location of each tube..

are you expereincing any leaks right now?

fixing it.. pretty sure theres no way to fix it.. unless you can heat it up and pound it flat then re-square it with a mill or a belt sander.. alot of work for a questionable outcome.. what brand are the headers?

Old 04-08-2007 | 12:39 AM
BradBeyer
|
Veteran

I am not sure of the brand name I got them about 4 or 5 years ago. I can see the leak between the 2 middle pipes on the bottom.

Where can I get a set og headers for a good price?

Brad

Old 04-08-2007 | 11:39 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

I had purchased a set of Summit/Pacesetter headers about a year ago. Pretty inexpensive but they burnt out very quickly.Use this link to see the photo's in my album. https://dodgeforum.com/albumphoto.as...amp;sortType=6Other people have used them without issue. I replaced the Summit headers with Edelbrock ceramic shorties (twice the price) and love them. Installation was a breeze and they look awesome.
Whatever brand you go with "DO NOT" use header wrap on them. First it usually voids the warranty, 2nd it will cause your headers to rust out from trapped moisture.

Old 04-08-2007 | 10:21 PM
BradBeyer
|
Veteran

anyone else got an idea about headers and where to get them

Old 04-09-2007 | 02:16 AM
shott8283

i actually swapped from eddy to gibbys.. i love my gibbys.. the smaller primarys gave me some of my lowend back

Old 04-09-2007 | 02:44 AM
sirhannick

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962

Whatever brand you go with "DO NOT" use header wrap on them. First it usually voids the warranty, 2nd it will cause your headers to rust out from trapped moisture.
Not from my experience. I guess if you have low quality steel headers. I have, as well as most people have, stainless-steel headers.I wrapped them very tightly, then coated them in DEI silicon stuff. No rust, no noticable difference in performance, but under hood heat is way down.

Old 04-09-2007 | 03:32 AM
shott8283

^^^ thanks for the tip!

Old 04-09-2007 | 11:12 AM
BradBeyer
|
Veteran

thanks guys...I guess I am going to get them pulled off this week and take a look.

If anyone knows specific places to buy them please let me know

Old 04-09-2007 | 01:51 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

The experience you have is exactly what I was attempting to do when I wrapped my headers originally. I also used DEI products when wrapping my Summit headers and you can see the results. In speaking with Summit and Pacesetter they both stated header wrap should not be used. Summit has changed their package notices advising that if you use any non-factory protective coating/covering the warranty is void. just passing along my personal experience on this one.

Quick Reply: header warpped