2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Stumbling on acceleration PLS HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Gremmin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Stumbling on acceleration PLS HELP

Heyall this is my first post and i think this web page is awesome. Ok i have a 98 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 5.9 and my problem is happenig when i accelerate on the gas. It is cutting out and stubling real bad. I have changed spark plugs, wires, Dist. Cap, rotor, ignition coil, and pickup coil and none have helped. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Truck Stumbling on acceleration PLS HELP

Welcome!
Throttle Position Sensor comes to mind 1st off. But do a search on here on various combinations of your symptoms and see if any results fit your situation. Did you have this problem BEFORE you changed out all the stuff mentioned in your post? Or, did this happen after a tune up?
WC

Old 09-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Gremmin

this happend after i changed plugs and wires. I bought bosch 2 plugs and bosch wires then it started acting up about a month later and so i put OEM plugs in and still didnt help.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Bucky
Rookie

Make sure you put the new plug wires in the correct order. The same thing happened to me a few years ago. Sounded ok at idle, but when I gassed it, it ran so rough. I only had two wires flip-flopped.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ TSB on wire routing. (do a search for "plug wire routing") Basically, make sure #4&8 and 5&7 are not running close to each other as they will crossfire and give you the misfire/crappy running. They have to CROSS each other NOT run Parallel.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Gremmin

Another thing to note that i forgot about is my abs, brake, and CEL are on and my spedometer dosen't work untill 55 or so, im pretty sure this is the rear speed sensor, but this wouldn't cause the cutting out too would it?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:55 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no it wouldn't cause your cutting out problem, and yes its the rear sensor. easy to fix. do a search about the speedometer and the break light on and you will find a few posts about it and how to change the sensor.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:55 PM
morrgriff
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First to my mind is the cat. converter.Soundslikea less severesymptom that I had and a new cat fixed 'er up! I'd gas 'er up and she would just bog down. The more I pushed, the more it'd sputter and backfire. Your cat may not be to the point mine was where it backfires though. It was clogged completly.

A few ways to check it - Remove the front (pre-cat) O2 sensor, drive it around a bit,and see if it runs better. May not run "perfect" but a noticableimprovement will tell you it's the cat.

Hit the cat with a mallet/2x4/hand or such and listen for a rattle. Rattling means the inside has broken up and clogged.

Last suggestion -Take it to a muffler shop and let them check it out.

Good luck with your ride!

Old 09-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Dodge4x4810
Veteran

how many miles are on your truck...i would say that it is a fuel problem, like the fuel pump. Although like said above, could also be your cat, but that is usually noticeble when it causes problems like that, it will rattle.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Gremmin

i have 181,000 miles on it and i had to get a new convertor about 3 months ago it was clogged and making a bad rattling sound. So im pretty sure its not my convertor... And thanks for all the post they are very helpfull. Im putting on a new tps tommorow to see if thats the problem. Crossing my fingers.

Quick Reply: Truck Stumbling on acceleration PLS HELP