2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking to buy my first Ram.... need a price check please

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:33 AM
agreen_112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy my first Ram.... need a price check please

Hello everyone, found this site today, can't wait to get into some reading... Anyway, I'm looking at a '97 Ram 1500 Extended Cab 4x2 Auto 5.2L V8with 160K. It's listed at $3,500 and the owner said that he would consider taking $3,OOO. I was just wondering if this is a good price, great price, or don't waste your money. I've only talked to the owner over the phone, I haven't seen the truck personally yet, but I know this is what the truck looks like (I found this image on google, it looks exactly like the trucks photo on craigslist). The paint, the rims, the body are all the same.

I really do not have the need for a 4x4, I do not plan on pulling much. This would be my 3rd vehicle, I also own a Honda and a Toyota (fiance's)which save me gas $.Everyone needs a truck, especially me. I always have to borrow a family members, lol.

I'm going to take a look at this baby today. What should I be looking for specifically?

Thanks for any help.

Austin

Old 11-08-2007, 10:35 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: Looking to buy my first Ram.... need a price check please

that is basically my old truck lol.... mine was blue and a 96 and sold for 5200 at an auction the dealer brought it too... how many miles are on it??? loooks great but pics only say soo much...

Old 11-08-2007, 10:52 AM
agreen_112

That's what I'm saying, It has 160,000 miles. I need to know what to look for when I test drive it...One thing I plan on doing ispulling over and taking a look at the trans fluid and giving it a good smell. I also plan on taking it over some bumps at a good speed tosee how the steeringwheel/column feels... Anything else to look for?

Old 11-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

For a truck that is going to be strictly utilitrain, I've always found long beds more useful, and here in CO 4x4 is a must.

But if you have no need for 4x4, and don't haul stuff that requires an 8' bed, the price is right. Looks like a clean truck to me, and 160k is nothing for a 318.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:59 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

PM sent.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Lambethcp

I bought a 97 Sport Ext Cab 5.2. Had 98,000 on it. Love it! Only paid 2K for it. Done a couple of easy mods: K&N CAI, gutted cat, TPS adjustment, and electric fan. Planning on the crankshaft position sensor mod later. Had it two years this Feb. and nomajor problems. Just altenator, battery, brakes, etc....

Old 11-08-2007, 02:49 PM
agreen_112

Where'd you find a deal like that? Is 3 grand too much for this truck with 160,000 miles on it?

Old 11-08-2007, 03:50 PM
jperkins812
Professional

I paid $5,400 for my 97 Ram 1500 4x4 last summer. I am the second owner of this truck and I have all the maintiance records since the truck has left the dealers lot in 1997. The truck has 130,000 miles on the 318 v8 and runs like a top, the only thing wrong with the truck is that the paint is fading on the hood and roof and the dash is cracked (which is normal from what I have read). I have the window sticker showing the truck was orderd with all the bells and whistles.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:23 AM
agreen_112

^^nice!

I took it for a spin yesterday and it rides very smooth. The paint was fading on the front right part of the hood, he touched it up with some paint. The interior was a little rough, but not too bad. Overall I really like this truck, it's got a lot of style.

I did notice that it shifted pretty hard (auto-tran). Is this normal with Dodge trucks? My buddy said they all shift hard, not to worry about that. Another thing I noticed, and its hard to describe, was a noise coming from under the cab towards the engine but not in the engine itself. The engine sounded great!When you put the truck in gear and gave it a little gas, it would make kind of like a dry raspy noise and then when the rpm's got up it went away imediately. The truck only made this sound the second you started to move forward, once it rolled 5 feet it was gone. Could it be in the tranny or the gears?

Old 11-09-2007, 10:31 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

No that raspy noise is common at least on my truck wich is an 01. It's the air hat not being connected tightly to the throttle body. It's also made qorse by putting in a K&N filter. It's not really anything to worry about.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first Ram.... need a price check please