2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust: short vs. long

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:40 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust: short vs. long

I've got some longtubes, y-pipe, and magnaflow cat on the way. I'd like to finish off the exhaust at some point and I'm thinking about making it exit before the axle. I've already decided to go with single 3". I know that dual exhaust and pipe diameter after the mufflercan eacheffect the powerband. My questions are; Does exhaust length after the muffler effect the powerband? if so, how?

Old 12-08-2007, 05:01 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Default RE: Exhaust: short vs. long

Lucky little bastard[8D]! I so bad want those longtubes with the y-pipe!! Uhhh I cannot wait!! Be the first to tell how installation goes, and how long they come down, I'm wicked anxtious bro!

Old 12-08-2007, 05:03 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

I've got some longtubes, y-pipe, and magnaflow cat on the way. I'd like to finish off the exhaust at some point and I'm thinking about making it exit before the axle. I've already decided to go with single 3". I know that dual exhaust and pipe diameter after the mufflercan eacheffect the powerband. My questions are; Does exhaust length after the muffler effect the powerband? if so, how?
Length after the muffler doesnt really effect much except for sound.

Take a look at my photo album for an idea on a side exit (before rear axle). If you want dumps, thats cool, but if you live in a state where they do tailpipe sniffing they will fail you because they cant "get" to it.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:42 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

Lucky little bastard[8D]! I so bad want those longtubes with the y-pipe!! Uhhh I cannot wait!! Be the first to tell how installation goes, and how long they come down, I'm wicked anxtious bro!
LOL! Yeah its pretty sweet. I will do pictures of the install when I get to it. Only problem I forsee is that my uncles lift won't be open for me to use until the end of the month, so it might be a couple weeks until I can post.

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan
Take a look at my photo album for an idea on a side exit (before rear axle). If you want dumps, thats cool, but if you live in a state where they do tailpipe sniffing they will fail you because they cant "get" to it.
Thanks I will take a look at your photos. By dumps do you mean the exhaust exits directly out the back of the muffler under the truck? I haven't put much thought into doing that, but thanks for the heads up about the sniff test.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:50 PM
99Ram1500sport
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my exhaust exits before the axle and sounds great. its weird though because it runs single up to the muffler and then dual till it gets to the axle where it stops. like my sig says i dont know what the previous owner did to the exhause, but it aint stock.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:54 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

uh oh!! Don't let me beat you to the chase on the headers pictures!! I'm getting them for x-mas and the minute I get them I'm going down to my exhaust gay to have them slapped in lol!!! The race to the pictures!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:35 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

uh oh!! Don't let me beat you to the chase on the headers pictures!! I'm getting them for x-mas and the minute I get them I'm going down to my exhaust gay to have them slapped in lol!!! The race to the pictures!!!
IT HAS BEGUN! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 12-08-2007, 08:32 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

the minute I get them I'm going down to my exhaust gay to have them slapped in lol!!!
Usually they get offended when you call them that.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:35 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

LMAO I meant guy hahah!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:38 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

the minute I get them I'm going down to my exhaust gay to have them slapped in lol!!!
Usually they get offended when you call them that.

pipes , gay , slapped [sm=confused06.gif][sm=escape.gif]

Quick Reply: Exhaust: short vs. long