2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

EMERGENCY - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:23 PM
MagnumVP
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EMERGENCY - HELP

I disasmbled my door latch in an attempt to fix the door locking issue (electriicy & polarity reversal along with grounding was good, but wasn't engaging the actual lock). Took it apart and put it back together. Reattached it to the door along with the manual door lock, external lock, internal door handle and externla door handle. When I closed the door it will not open from either outside or inside. I was able to pull the panel off the door enough to see that the handles are engaging the door latch but it will not allow the door to open. Obviosly did something wrong.

Could even the dealership or repair shop do anything about this without ruining the door?
Is there ANYWAY to get this door open without the Jaws of Life?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help

Thank You

Magnum

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
V8, 5.9L 4x4

Old 12-08-2007, 07:50 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: EMERGENCY - HELP

you should be able to reach in there and open the latch manually... if you havent already downloaded the manual, do it and have a look at what it says. the manual is an '01 but should be the same for the door components back in '99.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:51 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A body shop would be your best bet. They have to deal with this stuff more than most dealerships. Without having been there to see what you've done, it's going to be hard to help you over the net.

Try searching through this:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_340929/tm.htm

Old 12-08-2007, 07:52 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

dang, Steve beat me!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:58 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

I'll give it a try. Here is a thought. Obviously I have put the latch togther incorrectly. If that is the case, can I still open it manually?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:55 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likely one of the rods wasn't connected to the handle, or connected in the wrong spot, if you can get the panel off you should be able to pull on them manually and unlatch the door
to get the panel off and gain a little more room to work you could take the seat out, only 4 bolts, and poss 1 electrical connection under the seat then you could get right in there

body shop would prob be best place to take it too get it looked as well

Old 12-08-2007, 08:57 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

I think I may have a "work around" to the issue. Assuming that the passenger side is similar to the driver side. I can take off the left front fender and take the 4 bolts that attach the door to the hinges. I then should be able to manuver the door to get it off the hinge. Once I do that I can replace the door latch with a new one (that works).

This sounds feasible right?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:59 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

I can access the actualy door latch through the interiorand I can tug and pull on all of them but still nothing. I'm just going to chalk this one up as a stupid manuever and forget about manual opening th edoor the "normal" way.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:18 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may have disconnected the rod from the latch its self, try going right to the latch and prying on it with a screw driver, even if you get the hinges off its still going to be latched and stuck there

one other thing make sure the lock isent jamed some how

Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

Perhaps I am confused. I can only get to the latch from the interior (side the door with the panel off). I can pull and manuver the latch howeveR I want, but nothing seems to work. The manual lock moves up and down, the al the levers on the door latch seem to fully move. I'm guessing that when I put the lactch back together that I forgot a spring or put it in incorrectly.

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY - HELP