2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Roller Rockers installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008 | 02:39 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional
Default RE: Roller Rockers came today, any tips?

By the way.. went looking for them...found them at Harland Sharp, part # S-70037 5/16" pedistal mount...guess I need to see if these are right for 5.9L....I'll dig alittle more.Not quite sure what the right application is for bolt on 1.7's for my '97 5.9L. Again.. great pics and write up.. I'll be using this!!

Old 02-25-2008 | 08:21 PM
aim4squirrels
|
Legend

the rockers are the same for the 5.2 and 5.9, as are everything in the cylinder heads. That is the correct part number for the bolt on non adjustable RR's.

Old 02-26-2008 | 04:25 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

Thanks, yeah.. I got in touch with Harland Sharp and ordered them...now.. being new to Mopar.. a question... since this all started with getting ready to do my plenum gasket, (on its wayfrom Hughes ..) and I'm going to have the intake off anyway.... can the lifters be changed easily at this point? forgive my ignorance..but if I can do them easily, ( pushrods as well) I just might... with the intake off, can I just slip them out and slip the new ones in? or it there alot more to this then I realize. And.. does the 5.9L use hydraulic? I'll search to see if anyones recommending a brand... like the rockers.. I'm just looking for reasonable replacements. Napa maybe? Thanks again.

Hughes Plenum, Mopar Valve covers, Harland Sharp rockers, 180 Tstat, on the way!! Yippeeee!! ( thank goodness for tax refunds checks!)

Mike

Old 02-26-2008 | 07:09 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

Have been doing alot of searching on lifters and pushrods....went to the Rhoads site did some reading.. I was wondering... with the bolt on 1.7 RR's, and maybe a good replacement set of lifters, does anyone know if a stock set of pushrods will work? Rhoads has some nice lifters.. not exactly sure which would be what I need, but the more I look at lifters..I'm starting to get alittle confused as to what I need to compliment the 1.7 HS RR's, ...stock cam. Anyone might be able to help me out? I know alot of people here have switched to the 1.7 RR's, so I was wondering how many did lifter and rods too. All the sites I have been looking at have a different length listed when I look for 1997 5.9L magnum stats...most list chrysler SB or B block etc..... and different lengths... since I'm not running a bigger cam..staying stock... I should just get some good replacement lifters and rods?? Napa? Mopar performance?Thanks any help!

Old 02-26-2008 | 09:39 PM
aim4squirrels
|
Legend

Unless your running you engine really hard, you probably dont need to replace the pushrods with hardened ones.

It's easy to test them. When you pull them out, clean them with soem carb or brake parts cleaner and roll them on a piece of glass, (you need glass or at least a very flat, hard surface) if they wobble at all, they're bent and need to be replaced. It's kind of like checking a pool cue for warping by rolling it across the table.

I've not read many posts of folks changing lifters. I did read that Crower recommended replacing valve springs if they were older as the increased ratio will compress them more.

Old 02-27-2008 | 07:42 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with how to check them.. I was just wondering since the trucks got 92,000 on it, and have had a very light tic every once and awhile, ( can actually hear it every once in a while better in the cab thanI can standing with the hood open..)that maybe since the intake was going to be off anyway..I'd think about replacing them. I've been reading the threads on lifters here.... most look like they are about performance lifters.. where adjustable rockers are being used. I was looking for info if I was going to do a replacement lifter and rod. The 1.7's arent adjustable so I wasnt sure if while the intake was off and no cam being done if I could get good quality direct replacement lifters and rods, ( Brand??) and pull the old ones and just replace with new ones...then install the HS1.7's and torque them down. I think all lifters need to be "filled" prior to install.. ( submerge them in oil and pump the rod seat so the lifter fills with oil?? ) Anyway.. was hoping someone could tell me if a basically stock, direct replacement lifter and rod swap was pretty much a pull and install job. Or would I have to crank it to TDC on every cylinder to drop in the new lifters..etc..If its non adjustable rockers.. with stock size rods and direct replacement lifters.. I was assuming I could just install and torque to spec. Let me know if anyones done it.. A good quality direct replacement brand too if anyones heard of any.. thanks all....
Mike

Old 02-27-2008 | 07:49 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

It won't matter where the motor is if you doing just the lifters, pushrods, and RR's.....................If your swapping out the cam you better put her on TDC

You could actually roll the motor over if you wanted too and it shouldn't make a difference

Old 02-27-2008 | 08:07 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

Thanks for the info.... I might go ahead and replace them.. just need to find a good quality set...I need to find out more about the install... the one thing I dont know much about..lifters.. filling them.. since its a non adjustable valve train...do I need to worry about how much the lifter pushrod seat sets in when its torqued down..etc... Thanks for the reply!!

Quick Reply: Roller Rockers installed