2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

to the v-10 owners.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008 | 09:55 AM
Dtruck96
|
Professional
Default to the v-10 owners.

I am always interested in making an unusual sleeper. I owna 95 2500 4x4 w/v10. I bought it originally to make into a mud truck. It had some front cosmetic damage that could be fixed no problem. But before I put the money into it I had also kicked around the idea of making a sleeper street truck also. Possibly transplanting the motor, tranny, and rear axle into a 1st or 2nd gen two wheel drive truck. So my questions are, would this be worth while? Do any of the viper v10 parts swap over? Also I found a supercharger kit for the truck v10s from paxton automotive. Anyone out there have this or know someone who does? Thanks in advance. Any input is appreciated.

Old 01-14-2008 | 04:25 PM
wotansmopar
Rookie
Default RE: to the v-10 owners.

nvm

Old 01-15-2008 | 09:19 AM
Dtruck96
|
Professional

wow nothing. Not even a thats dumb or anything. What is nvm?

Old 01-15-2008 | 01:38 PM
V10
Professional

Viper parts do not interchange. Other than that, go for it. I wouldn't use a D70 or 80 if all you're gonna do is haul ***, use a Chrysler 8 3/4 or 9" you'll save a lot ofweight and not have mismatched 5 and 8 lug wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWnWOIn76yM

Old 01-15-2008 | 02:28 PM
wotansmopar
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Dtruck96

wow nothing. Not even a thats dumb or anything. What is nvm?
nevermind, I typed a paragraph then tried to reference another forum but was blocked. But anyways, you want it ok, I think your idea is dumb UNLESS you have the 6-7k to buy a paxton otherwise it is a pointless expedition since the amount of aftermarket parts for the V10 are next to nill, cant even get a ****ing intake manifold for the thing, if you want to spend the money, build a 360 motor, just because its a V10 doesnt mean its fast as hell. Its 488cc yes, but for that big of a motor I would expect screaming fast performance even put into a lighter truck. The amount of money you would spend to swap in a v10, add the limited selection of aftermarket parts, and get the ENTIRE wiring on the new truck replaced would amount to less hp than a 360, already in the truck, with the same amount of money spent building it. Although an interesting concept and it would be kick ***, youd still be slower then most built engines. But hey, if you have the money, do whatever you want regardless of what people say, whatever makes you happy.
my .02

Old 01-15-2008 | 03:24 PM
Dtruck96
|
Professional

Well here is my train of thought on this. I believe I read somewhere that the v10 makes something like 450 ft/lbs of torque stock. So I figure with minor mods like throttle body, cam, headers, cpu reflash and such I can push 500 no problem on regular87 or 89 pump gas.Try getting that out of a 360 for under 7 grand. I was no way implying that it would run like a viper. I was doing some research on the subject and came up with some interesting stuff. There is a guy on dodgetalk.com that put a truck v10 into a lil red express. He shot some videos of it and it looked pretty impressive. Plus onpavementsucks.com there is a guy who claims krc has a stroker kit for the v10s and will little modification can fit a pair of gen 3 viper heads onto the truck v10s. So while wotansmopar was partially correct the aftermarket is almost nill, I feel it is out there you just have to look for it.

Old 01-15-2008 | 09:02 PM
wotansmopar
Rookie

well then this thread is worthless, you know all that you need to know.

Old 01-16-2008 | 07:52 PM
Dtruck96
|
Professional

Well I started the thread for one, trying to get info on the paxton supercharger kit. but that turned up nill.and two just throwing an idea around. SoI guess this was as almost as useless as a 3 page thread about some guy who runs a 9.5 sec 1/4 mileram with a 318.

Old 01-18-2008 | 06:59 PM
rockr

ORIGINAL: wotansmopar

Its 488cc yes
CI right?[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

hell, i'd just be happy if my junk ran good STOCK[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 01-20-2008 | 11:42 PM
murfman
Amateur

I don't know where you are located, but if you search for a V-10 Engine from a 99 Ram on CAR-PART DOT COM, and read the comments section of the listings, there is a yard in SoCal with a V-10 equipped with a Paxton, I called and was told it was in a front end collision, and they were not sure if the Paxton was ok or not, but quoted me 650.00 for it. If you are close, you could go check it out. I know Paxton will rebuild the unit for a fee if needed. It might be a way to get a cheap one, but I'm in Chicago, and no way for me to go check it out. Beyond that BGChrysler has a flash for it that really wakes up the sleeping giant, and Comp Cams can grind you a cam. With a cam, some head work, Headers, a CAI, TB, and a flash I'm sure you can get over 450 HP pretty easily normally aspirated. If you go with the paxton, they claim 140 HP bolt on, so that is 450 also, combine the 2 and 525 HP should be pretty attainable with a mild torque monster engine.

Quick Reply: to the v-10 owners.