2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel loss of torque..wtf?

wow....that setup is like **** on a bull. Why in Gods good name do you have a Y pipe if you are running fake dual exhaust after that? The cat is in the stupidest spot, the welder is obviously mildly mentally challanged, and o2 wires can be extended just like any other wire.....this is rediculiousness.....[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 01-17-2008, 11:13 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

You don't like the y-pipe going into a fake dual set-up? Or did you mean the cat being in the retarded place?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:14 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did he fix the broken header bolts ?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:16 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

He said he shaved some of them down that he couldn't get out, and some that broke he was still able to get out. I don't know, he didn't make me feel good about the project. He just bitched that it was a hard job, and how tough it was to get the manifolds out. I left the place feeling like ****, and it wasn't something I should have felt like after working so hard to get these headers and to pay for those to be put in...I want him to fix the cat positioning ASAP.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

....and o2 wires can be extended just like any other wire.....this is rediculiousness.....[sm=bangbang.gif]
Not necessarily. An o2 sensor works by creating a chemical reaction that generates a voltage. The PCM looks at that voltage reading to determine if the mixture is rich or lean. It adjusts the mixture based on these readings. Splicing and extending wires (even a good soder and heat shrink splice) will introduce resistance, which could change the final voltage reading the PCM is seeing. This means the PCM is making it's mixture adjustment based on a reading that is not accurate. For example, the output voltage of a narrow band o2 sensor when the a/f is perfect (14.7:1) is about .45V. Changing the voltage by as little as +/- .4v puts you into a pretty good rich condition (.85v = a/f around 13:1) or lean condition (.05v=a/f around 17:1).

Old 01-17-2008, 12:07 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

You paid for a job to get done properly, he didnt do the job right, make him fix it and do not pay a cent.

I dont like the fake dual when you have the ability to run true, the cat is also in a bad spot too.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
johnjokela
Veteran

i worked at a muffler shop once and never seen any shady work like that done before, plus the fact that he broke the bolts off and shaved them down??? wtf????woooof!!!!! if i saw that i would of told him to stop what he was doing and took it somewhere else, sorry

Old 01-17-2008, 12:20 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

....and o2 wires can be extended just like any other wire.....this is rediculiousness.....[sm=bangbang.gif]
Not necessarily. An o2 sensor works by creating a chemical reaction that generates a voltage. The PCM looks at that voltage reading to determine if the mixture is rich or lean. It adjusts the mixture based on these readings. Splicing and extending wires (even a good soder and heat shrink splice) will introduce resistance, which could change the final voltage reading the PCM is seeing. This means the PCM is making it's mixture adjustment based on a reading that is not accurate. For example, the output voltage of a narrow band o2 sensor when the a/f is perfect (14.7:1) is about .45V. Changing the voltage by as little as +/- .4v puts you into a pretty good rich condition (.85v = a/f around 13:1) or lean condition (.05v=a/f around 17:1).

your really cutting hairs at that point. extending the wires by 6" or a foot isnt going to make that big of a diffrence in resistance, though putting the cat in the proper place will.

EDIT:: I dont mean putting the cat in the proper place will make a diff in resistance, i mean in the proper reading. What Im saying is its the lesser of two evils.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:21 PM
johnjokela
Veteran

if you could take more pics i can take them to my friend who's been in the business for 28 years doing the same thing over and over (exhaust that is) and see what he would of done, just a thought and a different opinion might help when you go to call the guy who did your exhaust

Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So if he just shaved the bolts off, that must mean he didn't use all the bolts to connect those headers to the head. That will probably lead to a leak since they are not as tight to the surface as they would/should normally be.

Quick Reply: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?