2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:34 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel loss of torque..wtf?

OK...I am getting really pissed of right now. I went to go take the truck out again tonight. Let it warm up about 10 minutes, everything is fine. I get out on the road for about 5 minutes and then it starts doing it again...idleing really low. So I pull off to the side of the street and let it warm up...usually it will pull itself out of it. Well this time, nope. I tried several times letting it gather its bearings and then I would try to get back out onto the street and give it moderate gas and it just wouldn't respond. The engine was all over the place, just hesitating, the exhaust backfiring and popping, the truck just running like real ****. When I'd stop at a light trying to get it home I'd have to put it in neutral and rev it so it wouldn't shut off on me. Then I'd hit the gas and it was just barely moving and popping all over the place. I don't know wtf it is. It cant be the battery terminals though, I just took those off and retightened the other day. And besides, it's been doing this since I've gotten the truck back with the headers, but now it's getting really bad. I don't know if it's a fuel issue? When I'd hold the gas down in neurtral with my foot still as hell, the rpms were just going all over the place. Usually if you hold your foot down in neutral it will sustain a certain rpm, but it just kept dropping and going back up dropping and going back up. I'm getting really fed up with this, and I don't need to give my parents any reasons to give me **** for doing something stupid like headers. So I don't know what to do, the truck continues to run really bad and continues to shut off on me and idle very lowly at times. This time it didn't get out of it no matter what I did...What is going on guys?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:43 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mite be a sensor problem : tps , map .. with the truck running tap with a screw driver the tps and if the engine revs while taping it there is your problem.. mite have a vac leak somewhere and hope with all your playing you didnt burn a valve...

Old 01-25-2008, 06:58 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

IAC! 99% definately iac.

I dont remember if the stock throttle body has an idle screw on it, but if you cant afford a new iac try taking a torx to the idle screw and setting the idle to where you want it without the iac being plugged in.

To verify iac problem....does it make a hissing sound like a vacume leak at any time? even for just an instant?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:28 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I cant say that I've heard a hissing sound, but those symptoms sound relavnt to an IAC? Also, where does the IAC plug in/out? Just deactivate the IAC, and then adjust the idle to the position I desire until I buy a new IAC? What would cause this sudden disfunction of the IAC, any ideas? And thank you

Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

The iac is the back "sensor" on the throttle body. Unplug that and turn the screw tighter. Im not saying its gonna work, but it worked for me. You will have to help it idle untill it gets warm, but if its warm it should idle just fine if you have the idle set. To know you have the screw in turn it like 5 or 6 half turns. That should set you arround 1500rpm idle, and then adjust it down from there once its running. Use the 1500 rpm idle for warming up, and then adjust it once its to temp. <--exactly how I was running my truck for a few days untill I decided the noise the iac was making was worth the pain.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:10 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Alrite I'm hoping that'll do the trick, I need this ****er for tomorrow for work otherwise Im not getting a paycheck. Luckily for me I get to pick my date up lata 2nite in a ****ing van...ohhhhh yeahhh, my coolness just went up 5 points

Old 01-25-2008, 08:47 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

HAHA, at least you can pork her in a van comfortably , I have done it in a single cab it gets a little akward

Old 01-25-2008, 09:41 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Alright, so just to verify what I'm going to do in the morning, I'm going to go back over the steps how I interpreted it, and maybe you guys can give me some extra details..

The IAC sensor is behind the throttle body, just unplug it? Is this easy to spot and is it relatively easy to reach and what not? Also, the idler screw, that is somewhere in the throttle body? Will it take a flathead screwdriver and just turn it to the right a little bit once the IAC is unplugged? Does that sound about right? Any other inputs will be nice. I absolutely need this truck for tomororw morning, so I'll be out there in the freezing cold tomorrow morning trying to do this little job before I head down to work. Hope it does the trick. And for later on, how much am I looking at for a new IAT sensor? Where can I get one etc. etc...thanks guys!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IAC sensor is behind the TB , not hard to get at ..on the pass side is the idle screw cant miss it... rember this : front of the TB is map sensor driver side of the TB is TPS behind the TB is IAC....and yes its easy to spot , only sensor there on the TB

Old 01-26-2008, 02:30 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

Alright, so just to verify what I'm going to do in the morning, I'm going to go back over the steps how I interpreted it, and maybe you guys can give me some extra details..

The IAC sensor is behind the throttle body, just unplug it? Is this easy to spot and is it relatively easy to reach and what not? Also, the idler screw, that is somewhere in the throttle body? Will it take a flathead screwdriver and just turn it to the right a little bit once the IAC is unplugged? Does that sound about right? Any other inputs will be nice. I absolutely need this truck for tomororw morning, so I'll be out there in the freezing cold tomorrow morning trying to do this little job before I head down to work. Hope it does the trick. And for later on, how much am I looking at for a new IAT sensor? Where can I get one etc. etc...thanks guys!

IAC not IAT (Idle air control vs intake air temp) Its on the back of the throttle body (the metal thing under the air cleaner) The plug points twards the drivers side, so thats the side you want to be on to take it off. The idle screw is on the passenger side on the top outside of the throttle body. It is located in the area where the throttle stop is, cant miss it. You need a torx, can not use a flathead or phillips. I believe its a torx 15. Set it 5-6 half turns before trying to start, that way it idles high (1200-1500)and allows you to warm up, which you will have to do by the pedal without the iac plugged in. When your truck warms up set the idle back down to about 7-800. Whilethe truck is warm you shouldnt have a problem with idleing....if you turn it off and let it cool much below 130 your gonna wanna try and warm it up again, otherwise it will want to stall. Basicly the IAC is a choke, and your bypassing the "choke" so you have to take action one way or another to prevent it from stalling.

Quick Reply: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?