2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel loss of torque..wtf?

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

your really cutting hairs at that point. extending the wires by 6" or a foot isnt going to make that big of a diffrence in resistance....
No I don't think I am. This is the same reason you have to be careful of where and how you splice in an air/fuel gauge. The one I installed, for example, was very clear about how to make the splice so as not to impact the resistance. They have you remove the jacket on the wire your going to splice into, and solder the a/f connection to the wire, making sure to never cut the o2 wire to make your splice. In addition, my meter also features what they call differential inputs that are designed to preserve the accuracy of the signal coming from the o2 sensor. I doubt they would go through this trouble if it made no difference.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 PM
MIKE82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: kenji226

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

Hot damn i got the answer.... muffler bearing is not spinning as fast as the exhaust replace ASAP...
Don't need to replace the muffler bearing, it just needs to be greased. First get a big handful of grease, then just reach up in the muffler till you find it.
The connuter valve might be bad. try checking the jittlin pins, these trucks are notoriously hard on those

Old 01-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya dude, that exhaust is ****ed up... I know how you feel about taking it back, but it looks to me that he got so pissed off about the header install taking a while that he just threw the other stuff together.

I would take it back bitch like hell , and unless hes really nice about it and cool (i doubt) never stick your face in their again after its fixed.

Thats why I like to do all the work myself.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:45 PM
MIKE82

let this be a lesson. never,EVER, go back to that guy again. i just read the entire thread . he actually broke header bolts into your heads and didn't tell you right off the rip? that's f'n rediculous. do you realize how much work it is to get broken bolts out of a head? he just cost you a lot more money. headersor manifolds will never seal correctly now unless the busted bolts are removed and new ones put in. theengine designers put all tose bolts there for a reason.i would demand ALL of my money back. he f***ed your truck up and then charged you more than he quoted. you know why he said it was so hard for him? HE'S A MORON!!!
however, you should have looked it over before you ever took the truck back. i can't believe how crappy of a job he did. this thread is pissing me off and it's not even my truck.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:59 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I know man, I too am very pissed off. I am would be doing myself injustice not to make him fix his mistakes though. I want him to put the cat after the y-pipe like it used to before. I want to confirm if ther are bolts still sitting inside the head, which could explain a lot of noise coming directly from underneath the floorboards. I did not like the way the job was left. I am calling him back and making him look at it next week.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:59 PM
johnjokela
Veteran

+ 1

Old 01-17-2008, 02:10 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I just called him back. He seemed very nervous when I picked the phone up. I told him that I wanted the cat after the y-pipe. He said he put it there because the o2 sensor wires wouldn't reach, which shows me he just was lazy and didn't want to mess with splicing some wire and extending the cat further. I told him that I'd like him to extend the wire and the cat past the y-pipe, otherwise it just screams that the cat is useless. I don't know why he'd put a cat on one side of a y-pipe, that seems obsurd to me lol. All anyone would have to do is look under the truck and be like, "ahh bud you have a cat on one bank of your truck??". So he tuesday he'll put the cat where it's supposed to be. I also told him there appears to be a substantial exhaust leak coming from the engine when I have the windows closed, and I wanted him to address that too. I paid $390 to have those headers put in, that's a lot of fricken money, and the least I expect is to have professional results when you pay that much. I'm dissapointed he gave such bad press on this job, he's very popular around here for his clean exhaust systems, but he let me down on this one. He did not demonstrate the confidence he usually shows, that's why I went to him....he just made me feel like **** about it all. The fact he didn't finish it the first day screamed to me trouble. Anyways, tuesday I'm bringing it down there to get **** settled with this, and hopefully he won't charge me, I cannot afford to pay anything more..

Old 01-17-2008, 02:11 PM
ron333
Captain

Did you pay by credit card? If so, you can dispute the charges if the guy doesn't want to fix it the right way first. By disputing this charge with the credit card company, you would just tell them that the work done that you paid for was not done correctly, that they have actually broken bolts off in the engine on your truck while doing the work and they have failed &/or refused to fix it, all of which after charging considerably more than what was quoted. The credit card company should then investigate the shop and the charges. You would need to do this before your next billing statement period. By doing this, the credit company will withhold payment to the shop and you won't get charged. This is a somewhat drastic measure, but I firmly believe that if someone is trying to screw me over, and I have recourse, I will use it. If the shop was acting legit, they wouldn't have forced you into having to do this.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

if I remember right there doesnt even HAVE to be a 02 sensor in the cat... the 02 sensor bung that is in the cat is BEFORE the cat, so he could always of just put a bung somewhere else as long as its before the cat, as far as I know it shouldent matter if the cat is 2 inches from the muffler way back there... but I may be wrong... in your case I know it doesnt matter as your cat isent a cat.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:49 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

depends on the year like on a 96 is not a single in cat so the 02 will be in the cat , since its a dual in .. Now lets talk alittle about broken bolts , this guys does not gotta do **** about replacing the broken bolts , but again if he was smart and said , NEON , you know there will be a 50/50 chance that these bolts will break if that happens then what would you like me to do ?? ...what ever it takes 2.. he knows neon knows.... shady deal , shady work , .

Quick Reply: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?