2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel loss of torque..wtf?

Yes very odd indeed the y should go into the cat not just part of the y ... you take that truck anywhere else for emissions u be screwed....

Old 01-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya that seems weird. If you had a functional cat, the flow on one side would be slowed by the cat, and the flow on the otherside would be unrestricted. That makes for a very unbalanced system and would probably means weird pulses and turbulence once the sides come together.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:21 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

better stick another highflow gutted cat on it...LOL... Your guy likes to make alot of work just to install a y pipe.. Thank god we custom bend every thing expect headers...

Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya see that really bugs me with the cat. Say it hadn't been gutted, it'd only be filtering one bank of the engine. Also, the point of the gutted cat is to make the illusion that it is still functioning, it being one on side completely throws that theory away. Should I bring it back to him and make him put it after the y-pipe. Is there a reason you think he would have done that? Would the cat not be able to reach that far down the exhaust sincethe y-pipe pushed it down more or something? That just seems awfully sketchy to me...

Old 01-17-2008, 10:37 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

I bet he did it because the O2 connector wouldn't reach

Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Would there be a way to make that 02 sensor reach? Or was he just rushing or something? Even if the cat was gutted and he felt it wouldn't make a differance, that still defies his logic, just because it when he saw that it was hollowed, doesn't mean it didn't need to be in the right spot. If I didn't care about looking like I had a cat, then I would have just had it taken off...Hmm...is it worth calling him back on that, and see what I can do to get it put after the y-pipe, because this is messing with me. One it screams illegal, and two...psychologically, I don't like know the system is "uneven"..

Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Yes the O2 can be made to reach. All you have to do is butt is cut the wires, add some more wire, butt splice them, and then tape them with electrical tape. Very Easy to do. I don’t think that an exhaust guy will lengthen the wires for you. If you have him fix it tell him to leave the rear O2 sensor disconnected. Then after he fixes it you’ll need to lengthen the connector and reconnect the O2. You have to reconnect the O2 if you want to pass emissions. You’ll have a cel light if you don’t reconnect it.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Damn. I didn't really want to have to deal with this after I paid him all that money just to put headers in. I don't even feel like calling him, but I'll call him next week or something, I don't want to get up in his grille so quickly

Old 01-17-2008, 11:05 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

tell us how much you pay ???

Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

LMAO, no seriouslly...you do not want to know. Lets just say he quoted me 3-4 hours, and he wound up charging me 6 1/2 hours. He said he spent 7 1/2 hours on the project itself...he charges $60 an hour...do the math, save me the ridiculing

Quick Reply: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?