2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:14 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel loss of torque..wtf?

my truck has trouble starting when it cold. i think the cold robs my battery of power.and then later in the day when its like or if it gets past 40 it will start fine.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:46 PM
zddp8868
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

Even my truck, running a si/do system with the headers lost a little bit of torque...just imagine if I had been running a true dual, it'd be even worse. True duals are meant for trucks with serious horsepower, that have some engine work done to them....putting a true dual on an essentially stock truck just seems self defeating to me. True duals work on trucks with big engines or fast high powered trucks like indys..
that is probably one of themisinformedstatements i have ever heard.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:13 PM
zddp8868
Professional

ORIGINAL: lastrights

my truck has trouble starting when it cold. i think the cold robs my battery of power.and then later in the day when its like or if it gets past 40 it will start fine.
battery with more CCA

Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: zddp8868

Even my truck, running a si/do system with the headers lost a little bit of torque...just imagine if I had been running a true dual, it'd be even worse. True duals are meant for trucks with serious horsepower, that have some engine work done to them....putting a true dual on an essentially stock truck just seems self defeating to me. True duals work on trucks with big engines or fast high powered trucks like indys..

If it's misinformed, you forgot to explain yourself. That couldn't be further from the truth either. Running a true dual is not needed if you don't need it. Why else would an average person run a true dual if they didn't plan to really open their engine up. You aren't going to see much gains from a true dual set-up over a si/do set-up. And like I said, in most cases, you loose torque from a true dual. My brother has an F-350 with a 460ci big block, that's one massive engine. He runs a true dual with 2.5" piping. Runs hi-flow cats and dynomax bullets. Also has a K&N intake system on it. His truck lost torque, but it gained a ton of mid range and high end power. You can tell when the true dual kicks in when he is for example getting onto the freeway, the truck really just gets up to speed with ease. Other than that, his truck experiences no gains off the line from that set-up. So sure, you can run a true dual on a relatively stock truck and spend more money on the set-up, but besides the cool name, you aren't getting anything over people with a si/do system. And in most cases, anyone who owns a truck is looking for torque, because trucks aren't meant for high speeds, they are meant for torque in a straight line..

Old 01-28-2008, 11:44 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

If it's misinformed, you forgot to explain yourself. That couldn't be further from the truth either. Running a true dual is not needed if you don't need it. Why else would an average person run a true dual if they didn't plan to really open their engine up. You aren't going to see much gains from a true dual set-up over a si/do set-up. And like I said, in most cases, you loose torque from a true dual. My brother has an F-350 with a 460ci big block, that's one massive engine. He runs a true dual with 2.5" piping. Runs hi-flow cats and dynomax bullets. Also has a K&N intake system on it. His truck lost torque, but it gained a ton of mid range and high end power. You can tell when the true dual kicks in when he is for example getting onto the freeway, the truck really just gets up to speed with ease. Other than that, his truck experiences no gains off the line from that set-up. So sure, you can run a true dual on a relatively stock truck and spend more money on the set-up, but besides the cool name, you aren't getting anything over people with a si/do system. And in most cases, anyone who owns a truck is looking for torque, because trucks aren't meant for high speeds, they are meant for torque in a straight line..
still running that choker factory ford intake on that 460? Dont say that its not this or that please, because true duals will bring more low end torque. You just have to make sure the rest of the system (meaning intake/heads) flow appropriately for what you are trying to accomplish. Now, it is possible that he is losing some low end with that, yes. In which case you would be correct in saying that he doesnt want to open it up like that, but try not to make a generalization about all trucks based off of one or two trucks. Just my $.02 on that......

NOW....WHERE IS THE 0-60? [:-]

Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

LOL oh c'mon INDY, I set a fair line between where a true dual is and isn't appropriate. I think for trucks that aren't planned to be opened up like the heads, cams, etc. don't NEED a true dual. I just think a lot of ppl think true duals means better. In your case, yeah, you'd be stupid not to have a true dual because your truck is just gutted inside and out. But for a truck with average mods (headers, intake, maybe chip) then I think a si/do system is perfect. In my case, my system is just right. I dont plan to go any further than an intake, fastman, and a chip. It's a rock crawler, it's not meant for top speeds. But most ppl dont get crazy with their trucks, so I think a true dual is just a waste of cash unless you bring it the next level past headers like you said.

But 0-60'swill have to wait. Truck ran like **** so bad again today even after I did the IAC thing. Truck just wouldnt move going down the road, so I had it towed to my mechanics. So I'm waiting to hear what the darn scoop is, I hate seeing my babe going up on a towe truck, looked so dman pretty though lmao. Anyway, once it's fixed, defiantly a 0-60 vid guys. The truck has just ran like **** since the headers, hopefully it will finally run good after its fixed..

Old 01-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you were rock crawling you'd probably be spending enough time in your powerband for true duals to be useful to you. Remember 4 low? There's plenty of times i've been going 5-10 mph at 4000+ rpms. Just something to think about.

If you don't plan on doing alot of engine work then you just get smaller pipes...
The reason people think they lose torque on true dual setups is because they open their exhaust up too much. You said your brothers 460 has dual 2.5 pipes. I bet you your truck would't lose any torque if you got dual 2" pipes.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:41 PM
zddp8868
Professional

LOL oh c'mon INDY, I set a fair line between where a true dual is and isn't appropriate. I think for trucks that aren't planned to be opened up like the heads, cams, etc. don't NEED a true dual. I just think a lot of ppl think true duals means better. In your case, yeah, you'd be stupid not to have a true dual because your truck is just gutted inside and out. But for a truck with average mods (headers, intake, maybe chip) then I think a si/do system is perfect. In my case, my system is just right. I dont plan to go any further than an intake, fastman, and a chip. It's a rock crawler, it's not meant for top speeds. But most ppl dont get crazy with their trucks, so I think a true dual is just a waste of cash unless you bring it the next level past headers like you said.

But 0-60'swill have to wait. Truck ran like **** so bad again today even after I did the IAC thing. Truck just wouldnt move going down the road, so I had it towed to my mechanics. So I'm waiting to hear what the darn scoop is, I hate seeing my babe going up on a towe truck, looked so dman pretty though lmao. Anyway, once it's fixed, defiantly a 0-60 vid guys. The truck has just ran like **** since the headers, hopefully it will finally run good after its fixed..
YOU set a fair line. hmm. that's cute but in the real world, there is grey area. most times a situation isnt black or white.

on the other hand, there is a formula for what works in the real world. dual exhaust will always benefit an engine like yours. stock or not, a dual configuration will not hurt torque or any of that nonsense. thats an old wives tale. period. an aftermarket camshaft changes how a motor behaves, not HOW IT WORKS. a properly sized dual exhaust system doesn't work great on one motor, then become **** on another. you are taking this decrease in low end position on what grounds? you heard it from another kid? have you performed an unbiased dyno test yourself? and if u dont have access to a dyno, have you taken the same vehicle down the track with both different setups? i think you are spending too much time on fantasy island.

the truth of the matter is that dual exhaust alone will never hurt power if it is properly sized. for small displacement engines, yes putting 3-3.5 inch diameter pipes will lower your low end output, but a properly sized set of pipes does nothing but good for your setup. 2.5 inch pipes are good for most small blocks and some big blocks... although with 460 ci, 3 inch would be better. so again its not that dual exhaust hurts your output, but its the diameter of the piping that if its too small will choke your engine and too large will lower your low-end grunta bit. that's where i think you are getting confused.

lol indy's truck isnt considered a "high horsepower motor." his setup is considered mild in the REAL WORLD. but that's not the reason why his exhaust is the way it is. his exhaust is like that because of its proven design and individual preference. he didnt build his engine around his exhaust, it works vice versa.

PS: 460 ci isnt a rediculous sized engine. thats an intermediate sized big block. try a 572 or 600+ ci motor on for size.
and "true duals kicking in" lol that's a new one on me.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:44 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

let us know whats going on with your truck man, hope your dodge is ight.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PS: 460 ci isnt a rediculous sized engine. thats an intermediate sized big block. try a 572 or 600+ ci motor on for size.
and "true duals kicking in" lol that's a new one on me.
Man it would be great if they still put motors like that into cars and trucks.
Everyone's jumpinon the "I want better mpg" *** wagon

Quick Reply: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?