2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:53 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel loss of torque..wtf?

OK, maybe I'm missing something... doesnt he have the stock plumbing between his y-pipe & muffler & cats???

I just looked at his signature and with the mods he listed... he's not going to see gains until the motor is built to make good use of the long tubes. You can call BS if you like, your opinion, but my comments come from the overall experience with my truck (also a 5.9) and always trying something new to see how it'll perform. Keep in mind, that when I was done with the last mod before getting the '05, I had a **** load of power and was getting upper 13's & low 14's for mileage while driving normal.

on the bubble example... imagine a plastic bottle with straws fastened at both ends (top & bottom), then blow thru it. you'd have to fill the bottle before getting much out of the other end.

edit: another thing to add on my trucks setup... when I had the stock K&N filter that came with the kit I made more low end torque than with the larger 6x9" filter (or maybe it was 7x9... I forget). driving in the mtns was much easier with the 6x9 since I would be in 3rd gear most of the time, power would be shifted up the rpm range with the bigger filter.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:59 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

OK, maybe I'm missing something... doesnt he have the stock plumbing between his y-pipe & muffler & cats???

I just looked at his signature and with the mods he listed... he's not going to see gains until the motor is built to make good use of the long tubes. You can call BS if you like, your opinion, but my comments come from the overall experience with my truck (also a 5.9) and always trying something new to see how it'll perform. Keep in mind, that when I was done with the last mod before getting the '05, I had a **** load of power and was getting upper 13's & low 14's for mileage while driving normal.

on the bubble example... imagine a plastic bottle with straws fastened at both ends (top & bottom), then blow thru it. you'd have to fill the bottle before getting much out of the other end.

edit: another thing to add on my trucks setup... when I had the stock K&N filter that came with the kit I made more low end torque than with the larger 6x9" filter (or maybe it was 7x9... I forget). driving in the mtns was much easier with the 6x9 since I would be in 3rd gear most of the time, power would be shifted up the rpm range with the bigger filter.
I certainly hope he dosn't that wouldn'tmake sense at all. If the exhaust guy knew what he was doing then he would have put in a 3" pipe for him. I understand the bubble analagy I just don't understand what you are appling it to.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:04 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

hey post # 666 for you Chris..

some guys just know how to weld in mufflers... but you'd hope for the best.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:04 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

ORIGINAL: ICEMAN_CH

I’m calling BS. You guys have been around a long time and I respect your opinions but, to many people have said 3” was the perfect size. I’ve also been told by several people that 2.25” was the right size for true duals because they add up to 3”. Those LT should have added low end. There is something else causing the loss that maybe the new headers have exasperated. I think is cat is the problem. IT’s slowing down the exhaust because it’s basically a 5” pipe. I think if he puts a pipe in place of the cat most of his power will come back. Not to mention his plenum is probably screwed since he can’t run low grade gas without pinging.
Why do you think I went to 3"? Same reason you just stated, because everyone says it is the perfect size. So I did it, and the result was not what I expected. I think most of the people who say 3" is ideal have never actually tried it and are just repeating what they read in some other thread. That's BS. I've tired it, and am telling you my honest results. No BS.

grrrr I hope you are not right. I'll be finishing my exhaust work in a couple of weeks. I'm going to go ahead and do it since I've already bought all of the parts. I'm also going to be doing work on the engine down the road. I'm looking at a nice set of 1.7 rr

I just blew the 666 post. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut

Now if I could just learn to spell.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ICEMAN_CH

...I understand the bubble analagy I just don't understand what you are appling it to.
I think he is saying that the intake is the first straw, the one you blow in. Then the engine is the bubble (because of the extra volume space of the cylinders), and lastly the exhaust from the engine out is the other straw. Steve, is that what your analogy is supposed to represent?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:13 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Silver I just noticed that you have the 318. When you had the 3" exhaust was it on the 318? Isn't 3"waaayyyy to big for a 318.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a good point. I don't think the 360 is so much bigger then the 318 that it would make that much difference, but still a valid point. I'll shut up now.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:40 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comes down to it neon cross that line.. all bark no bite.. Now put some bite into it. talking about piping depends on what that person is after theres allways a trade off .. me i run 3" back to dual 2.5" out with shorties headers which i like best and trust me i tried alot of combos..

Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

That is a good point. I don't think the 360 is so much bigger then the 318 that it would make that much difference, but still a valid point. I'll shut up now.
No
No no no you misunderstand. I’m not trying to get you to shut up or diss on you. I wasn’t trying to be an a-hole. Here is what I gather from all of the research. 3” is a good size for the 360 but, your correct that it is definitely pushing it. For an engine that is 220ci-350 you should use 2.5” So 3” will give the 360 a ton of room but, the 318 lands solidly in the 2.5 range. Here is the table that I’m looking at. You can also size it by the HP produced but, I don’t have a table to illustrate how. I think somewhere I read that for every 60Hp on the Flywheel you need 1 cubic inch of surface area for the exhaust.

• 100ci - 150ci motors = 2 inch exhaust tubing
• 150ci - 220ci motors- 2.25 inch exhaust tubing
• 220ci - 350ci motors- 2.5 inch exhaust tubing

Old 01-16-2008, 06:51 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I agree with that PA. Also Iceman I think you are right, for a 360, i think 3" is a suitable size for a truck with future modifcation plans and a lifted truck with big tires. I mean stock piping on this truck is 2.5". I thought 3" was the perfect size for essentially a "monster truck". This truck is big, and I think a 360 can handle it. And you guys are right, I'll need some more work before I can get the full affect of these. I don't think 3" is overkill though, I think it will come into play more once I get to the intake, tb, cam etc. It's just going to take some time, I'm out a lot with these headers, the products themselves weren't cheap[8D].

On another note though guys, today after I was leaving class me and my brother jumped into the truck. I was just riding casually, and then the truck began to stutter and stutter, and then finally...shut off in the middle of the road and I had to roll of the side of the road with a locked wheel. So I started it back up, and revved it up so it wouldn't shut off, then once it idled again, I took off and hit it pretty good to get her going, it didn't respond well. Then it shut off again about a 1/2 mile down the road, and once again, had to restart it (this time in the middle of a busy road). Finally, I made it to a parking lot, and just let it idle for about 10 minutes, then everything seemed to be ok. Is this normal guys? Also, I'm hearing this very weird watery swashy sound coming through the dashboard...Is that normal after headers are put in? Also, I feel like I can hear the exhaust right underneath my floorboards, is this normal? Or is that sound like an exhaust leak? I'm still very confused right now...the truck is just reacting somewhat funky to the headers right now, and I think it has a lot to do with why it was acting so strange when I was flooring it. She is running good again though. I'm going to unplug the battery terminals, and see if the pcm will reload and acknowledge the headers. Any ideas what could be going on? Are these symptoms normal?

LOL and sorry guys for not getting some good videos of the exhaust, the fun has been somewhat sapped with this weird **** going on. Once I can figure out what's going on, and why there are weird noises coming through the dash, I will make some fun vids..probably in the next couple days or so when I cna be left the **** alone from school and work.

Quick Reply: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?