2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:14 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel loss of torque..wtf?

Well you guys have to break it down a little more in regards to the true dual.. IndyRam can absolutely run a true dual...he needs it. That truck is packing over 300+ h/p, it's strictly for speeding. Even my truck, running a si/do system with the headers lost a little bit of torque...just imagine if I had been running a true dual, it'd be even worse. True duals are meant for trucks with serious horsepower, that have some engine work done to them....putting a true dual on an essentially stock truck just seems self defeating to me. True duals work on trucks with big engines or fast high powered trucks like indys..

Old 01-20-2008, 07:18 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Ok, the truck is going back to the exhaust shop on Tuesday to fix some issues. Here is the list, and then I'll discuss them.

PROBLEMS:

1.) Exhaust Leak coming from headers, or the y-pipe
2.) Cat put after the passenger header collector...Needs to be repositioned AFTER the y-pipe.
3.) Strange watery girgly noise circulating through the dash, VERY noticable when windows are up.
4.) Truck wants to shut off on first start in the morning, but won't completely shut off.
5.) Truck running poorly on the roads at time, and has a lot of hesitation..

The point of Tuesday is to fix the position of the cat. I also am going to make him address some of the exhaust leaks coming from the engine, it's very annoying. Now for that weird water gurgling noise coming through the dash, what is this sound I am suddenly hearing since the headers were put in? Should I be concerned? Also, the truck keeps wanting to shut off on me in the morning, it will idle down to 200 rpms and then blast back up to 700rpms (normal idle point). Also, sometimes the truck rides great, and then other times, like tonight...the truck just kept hesitating and I really had to put the pedal down to make it get its act together...Why is all of this happening since the headers were put in? And are these normal symptoms? I just want to make sure I have a complete list to hit him up with come Tuesday because I am not dealing with this bull**** and the noises etc.

Also, on a big detour, I have to ask you guys something about the Thuren trackbar. Firstly, it's squeeking like a mother****er on every bump and turn, very annoying! Also, I dont feel one differance with that trackbar. I used to be able to lock the wheels full left, but now I can lock them full right but now it grinds on a full left turn. Also, my allignment is still the same as it used to be except it pulls to the right...WTF. Should I have gone with the 5"+ trackbar? He was convinced the 0-3" was the right one for me because the stock one was in there, but I dont feel one differance at all so far. Everything still sucks (allignment, and full turns are limited still). I know this was a lot, but your help to break all this down for me regarding the headers and trackbar would be a big big help, thank you guys.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:38 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Dude I've been randomly under my truck for 4 days now because of exhaust leaks in my y-pipe. PACESETTER Y-PIPE IS A PIECE OF SH**. I have two joints band clamped and three joints double clamped with standard clamps. Its driving me nuts and if it keeps up I'm going to pay my mechanic to make me a better one, shotgun the pacesetter unit, and send it back to them in pieces. Also keep in mind that the long tubes have their own destictive sound and it actually sounds like a leak but its not. I've had the system clamped tight with no leaks and on the way into town I thought I heard a leak breaking though again to I pulled over (angry mind you). Checked the joints, had no leaks, and realized it was just the sound of the headers.

I'm wondering if your idle problem is just something else rearing its ugly head. It may just be a coincidence.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The idling problem is most likley the exhaust leak due to the fact that his headers aren't actually bolted into the motor the whole way because his mechanic broke bolts off taking the exhaust manifold off and didn't feel like it would be important to drill them out and put the header bolts in there.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:08 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

The idling problem is most likley the exhaust leak due to the fact that his headers aren't actually bolted into the motor the whole way because his mechanic broke bolts off taking the exhaust manifold off and didn't feel like it would be important to drill them out and put the header bolts in there.
I guess I missed that part. Its really too bad he's having such a bad experience, I remember how much he wanted these headers.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I feel ya... I hate that feeling when you dump money into your truck and its not worth it, made things worse...

Ive already came to the conclusion that headers arent worth the hassle unless you need EVERY last hp that engine can make.

dont give up on the truck, its not the trucks fault... you have an incredible truck, it just has some flaws that can be worked out.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:36 PM
heybuddy1901
Professional

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

Dude I've been randomly under my truck for 4 days now because of exhaust leaks in my y-pipe. PACESETTER Y-PIPE IS A PIECE OF SH**. I have two joints band clamped and three joints double clamped with standard clamps. Its driving me nuts and if it keeps up I'm going to pay my mechanic to make me a better one, shotgun the pacesetter unit, and send it back to them in pieces. Also keep in mind that the long tubes have their own destictive sound and it actually sounds like a leak but its not. I've had the system clamped tight with no leaks and on the way into town I thought I heard a leak breaking though again to I pulled over (angry mind you). Checked the joints, had no leaks, and realized it was just the sound of the headers.

I'm wondering if your idle problem is just something else rearing its ugly head. It may just be a coincidence.
just weld the bitch!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:39 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: Sirhilton17

Haha... I do that all the time when Im pissed... Just punch it waaa waaa waaa waaa waaa... shoove it in drive real hard floor it and burnout half the street.
AHAHAHAHA, saying that ought 2 help you sell that abused lock-rite. jk jk... LMAO.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pcfixerpro

ORIGINAL: Sirhilton17

Haha... I do that all the time when Im pissed... Just punch it waaa waaa waaa waaa waaa... shoove it in drive real hard floor it and burnout half the street.
AHAHAHAHA, saying that ought 2 help you sell that abused lock-rite. jk jk... LMAO.
lol ya, i wasent planning on anyone buying it anyway...

Now im having actual problems with it so richmond should take care of it anyway.
IMO if the open can take that abuse for 90+ miles a LOCKER should be able to take a little abuse (honestly I dident put it through anything that a true offroader would have put it through) and if my "horrible" dodge tranny has tooken the abuse ive givven it this simple, solid steel locker should be able to take it.

I like to beat on things, then when somthing breaks (so far ive been REALLY lucky, nothing has) just replace it with something better... then you have a really tough truck.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:15 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

20DodgeNeon

I just talked to my brother inlaw who is a mechanic and here is what he said. If the mechnaic didn't put those bolts back in then there is a ton of air leakin into the exhaust system. The oxygen is getting to the O2 sensor wich is making the PCM think your running lean. Because it thinks it's running lean it's dumping a ton of gas into the cylinder and running rich. This is killing your MPG, Low End Tourque and cuasing you problems with it running correctly. I think it happens at differnt times dependin on the pressure in the exhaust pipe. Anyways good luck to you and let me know how it goes after he fixes it. I'm counting down the days until I do my install.

Quick Reply: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?