2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel loss of torque..wtf?

well.. when I go install my duel 40MM flowmaster bendy straws, ill remember to remove my gutted coke bottle!

Old 01-16-2008, 07:13 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

I agree with that PA. Also Iceman I think you are right, for a 360, i think 3" is a suitable size for a truck with future modifcation plans and a lifted truck with big tires. I mean stock piping on this truck is 2.5". I thought 3" was the perfect size for essentially a "monster truck". This truck is big, and I think a 360 can handle it. And you guys are right, I'll need some more work before I can get the full affect of these. I don't think 3" is overkill though, I think it will come into play more once I get to the intake, tb, cam etc. It's just going to take some time, I'm out a lot with these headers, the products themselves weren't cheap[8D].

On another note though guys, today after I was leaving class me and my brother jumped into the truck. I was just riding casually, and then the truck began to stutter and stutter, and then finally...shut off in the middle of the road and I had to roll of the side of the road with a locked wheel. So I started it back up, and revved it up so it wouldn't shut off, then once it idled again, I took off and hit it pretty good to get her going, it didn't respond well. Then it shut off again about a 1/2 mile down the road, and once again, had to restart it (this time in the middle of a busy road). Finally, I made it to a parking lot, and just let it idle for about 10 minutes, then everything seemed to be ok. Is this normal guys? Also, I'm hearing this very weird watery swashy sound coming through the dashboard...Is that normal after headers are put in? Also, I feel like I can hear the exhaust right underneath my floorboards, is this normal? Or is that sound like an exhaust leak? I'm still very confused right now...the truck is just reacting somewhat funky to the headers right now, and I think it has a lot to do with why it was acting so strange when I was flooring it. She is running good again though. I'm going to unplug the battery terminals, and see if the pcm will reload and acknowledge the headers. Any ideas what could be going on? Are these symptoms normal?

LOL and sorry guys for not getting some good videos of the exhaust, the fun has been somewhat sapped with this weird **** going on. Once I can figure out what's going on, and why there are weird noises coming through the dash, I will make some fun vids..probably in the next couple days or so when I cna be left the **** alone from school and work.
Uhhhh that’s not good. That water sound is air in your cooling system. I have no idea why you would have air in your cooling system. You need to put coolant into the over flow bottle and let the air work its way out. The only thing that I can think of is maybe one of the bolts for the headers go into the water jacket and so when your header was change and that bolt was removed coolant came out. Maybe that’s why he was having a bad day. Your truck peed on him. I had the same thing happen to me when I was replacing the timing chain. I removed a bolt that extended into the water jacket and then it peed. Check your oil for white foam and check your coolant for oil just incase it’s leaking into something else. Also is your truck overheating??

Old 01-16-2008, 07:14 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

ORIGINAL: Silver_Power

well.. when I go install my duel 40MM flowmaster bendy straws, ill remember to remove my gutted coke bottle!

Naw, you should definetly move up to the 42MM

Old 01-16-2008, 07:17 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yikes. Yeah he said he had a very hard time getting the manifolds off. He said 6 bolts snapped off on him when he was taking them out. He siad everytime he does one of those headers job, he tells himself he is never gonna do another one again. So I should fill more coolant into the reservoir? Also, the truck doesn't appear to be overheating, the gauge looks to be where it always is..hmm. What would cause the truck to completey shut off twice though?

Old 01-16-2008, 08:24 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Now, couldsomebody please explain to me how my '01's first mod was cutting out the 2.5" knuckles on the Cat and Muffler and installing 3" magnaflow parts straight thru and my throttle responce increased? Are the stock manifolds and y pipe still enough of a restriction that I could lose torque when I install the Gibson shorties? 318 with the mods in the sig.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:41 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

Now, couldsomebody please explain to me how my '01's first mod was cutting out the 2.5" knuckles on the Cat and Muffler and installing 3" magnaflow parts straight thru and my throttle responce increased? Are the stock manifolds and y pipe still enough of a restriction that I could lose torque when I install the Gibson shorties? 318 with the mods in the sig.
with stock y pipe and cat you still be alright with shorties headers , another issue with neon GUTTED CAT....

Old 01-16-2008, 08:53 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

PA...have any ideas why my truck would completely shut off on me? Doesn't that seem a little intense just because of headers?

Old 01-16-2008, 08:54 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

the stock cat is a huge restriction. If you remove the stock cat you'll gain alot. The stock muffler isn't that bad it's basically a really big glass pack so you probably didn't gain much from that.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Bluebone
Rookie

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

PA...have any ideas why my truck would completely shut off on me? Doesn't that seem a little intense just because of headers?
Not PA, but after two days of dealing with an F450 SuperDuty with similar symptoms I'll tell you it turned out to be a bad crank sensor which I have read these Dodges have a problem with. Just a thought.

Edit: Sorry, what I was getting at was it may be unrelated to your header install, directly.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:15 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

throwing no codes have no idea..but its not headers , oh wait it is your headers take em off and ill test em..

Quick Reply: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?