2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:53 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel loss of torque..wtf?

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

Ok, the truck is going back to the exhaust shop on Tuesday to fix some issues. Here is the list, and then I'll discuss them.

PROBLEMS:

1.) Exhaust Leak coming from headers, or the y-pipe
2.) Cat put after the passenger header collector...Needs to be repositioned AFTER the y-pipe.
3.) Strange watery girgly noise circulating through the dash, VERY noticable when windows are up.
4.) Truck wants to shut off on first start in the morning, but won't completely shut off.
5.) Truck running poorly on the roads at time, and has a lot of hesitation..

The point of Tuesday is to fix the position of the cat. I also am going to make him address some of the exhaust leaks coming from the engine, it's very annoying. Now for that weird water gurgling noise coming through the dash, what is this sound I am suddenly hearing since the headers were put in? Should I be concerned? Also, the truck keeps wanting to shut off on me in the morning, it will idle down to 200 rpms and then blast back up to 700rpms (normal idle point). Also, sometimes the truck rides great, and then other times, like tonight...the truck just kept hesitating and I really had to put the pedal down to make it get its act together...Why is all of this happening since the headers were put in? And are these normal symptoms? I just want to make sure I have a complete list to hit him up with come Tuesday because I am not dealing with this bull**** and the noises etc.

Also, on a big detour, I have to ask you guys something about the Thuren trackbar. Firstly, it's squeeking like a mother****er on every bump and turn, very annoying! Also, I dont feel one differance with that trackbar. I used to be able to lock the wheels full left, but now I can lock them full right but now it grinds on a full left turn. Also, my allignment is still the same as it used to be except it pulls to the right...WTF. Should I have gone with the 5"+ trackbar? He was convinced the 0-3" was the right one for me because the stock one was in there, but I dont feel one differance at all so far. Everything still sucks (allignment, and full turns are limited still). I know this was a lot, but your help to break all this down for me regarding the headers and trackbar would be a big big help, thank you guys.
I' m sorry you are having all this trouble with those headers and trackbar.

Gurgling is probably air in the coolant system. It is possible (though I don't know why) that the mechanic removed the return hose when installing the headers and didn't burp the cooling system properly.

At this point, I would be having a serious conversation with that mechanic. I suggest strongly that you take that video camera and make a tape of the exhaust setup as well as the other problems and keep a copy, just in case it gets to the litigation stage. Make sure you record with the date and time on the video and that it's set correctly. I would also take it to another reputable shop, or dealership if you can't find one and video tape that mechanic telling you what a crap job the other guy did, and make sure you get him to say stuff like, won't pass emissions with one cat, multiple leaks, etc. It would be best to do this while the truck is on the lift and have the mechanic point to the problems while you record it. Then go back to your original mech and sit down with him and if he isn't willing to fix it, use the tape and the legal threat as leverage.

It might be good for you to ask the sloppy mechanic who he recommends for things like tranny repair and major engine work, and then avoid anyone he mentions. By what you've been describing, it sounds like your mechanic is nothing more than a shadetree wrencher that happens to own a shop. It sounds like the things you want done are a little out of his league.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:04 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: heybuddy1901

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

Dude I've been randomly under my truck for 4 days now because of exhaust leaks in my y-pipe. PACESETTER Y-PIPE IS A PIECE OF SH**. I have two joints band clamped and three joints double clamped with standard clamps. Its driving me nuts and if it keeps up I'm going to pay my mechanic to make me a better one, shotgun the pacesetter unit, and send it back to them in pieces. Also keep in mind that the long tubes have their own destictive sound and it actually sounds like a leak but its not. I've had the system clamped tight with no leaks and on the way into town I thought I heard a leak breaking though again to I pulled over (angry mind you). Checked the joints, had no leaks, and realized it was just the sound of the headers.

I'm wondering if your idle problem is just something else rearing its ugly head. It may just be a coincidence.
just weld the bitch!
Not about to weld the y-pipe to the armor cote headers! thanks. And if I can't keep the exhaust sealed to the headers I'm not about to weld the rest.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

It's pretty sad, he is considered a pretty reputable guy. I went with him because he did my brothers true dual system when everyone else said it was "impossible". When I asked him about the headers he seemed to be very confident, and said 3-4 hours. I knew the minute he didn't call me the first day it meant trouble. The fact he didn't finish the first day meant he was having difficulty and that concerned me. Then he just hackjobbed it the next morning and had it finished by 1 oclock....and it shows. I got weird noises going on, cat in a retarded *** place, and the truck is running very poorly. I will shoot a video today as well. I expect him to fix the glitches in the truck for free as well, I paid him in full for a complete job, and it's not nearly half that. $390 for pure labor is A LOT of money, and I expect him to fix the issues the truck has right now as part of that money I already paid...Not to mention I was charge 6.5 hours instead of 3-4 hours...that was quite devastating to my wallet (I'm 18 years old going to college, so any bump in price is dentrimental[8D]). I don't like to, but tomorrow I'm not going to be friendly with him anymore, I have to be firm with him, and not beet around the bush. His work has got me nervous, and I can no longer afford to be a nice guy, and it sucks, because I liked him and did some good work for us in the past, but this, this was just a disgrace. I should be able to enjoy these headers, and all I've done is hate them besides the great noise.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:58 AM
DodgeFreak525

Yeah that does suck what you’re going thru. With everything that seems to always go so well for you it’s surprising you’re having troubles with your new headers, but **** does happen and the best thing to do is not let it get to you. Keep your composure and just be respectful with the mechanic, but at the same time, be firm and succinct like you mentioned. You have to realize that he didn’t offer to put your headers in, you asked him, so try and put yourself in his shoes, that job pretty much sucks, and a screw up is very probable, the good thing is, is he's willing to take the truck back to take another look at it. There’s a chance too that all that hesitation could be a plug wire, that would do a lot of that if it wasn't reattached firmly, or some sort starting solenoid not grounding properly when he was in there moving everything around. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I seriously doubt the hesitation is anything but the exhaust leak coming out of the motor because the mechanic didn't feel like it would be necessary to use all the bolts.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:20 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

That guy diserves a punch in the face.

+1 to aim4squirls

Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is sad to see how all this has gone.

In the 'School of Hard Knocks'
they make you take the test
before they give you the lesson.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Do not get to down about it. The headers themselves are phenomenal, as well as the gains. I just had some annoying personal things that went wrong with my job (exhaust leaks, air in the coolant system, cat in the wrong place) that kind of sapped the whole fun out of the headers etc. But today it's going back to the shop to get fixed up which will be exciting. These headers are nice though, and they really louden a truck up. It makes your truck go from average dodge to "that crazy dodge". Once I get the tb and intake, any torque I lost will be back and then some up, and then my middle and upper end will be even better than it is now. These headers are nice, so I hope I didn't scare anyone off with the product themselves, I just ran into some other problems that kind of took the initial fun away that's all.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Just to give you an idea of how scared off this mechanic has gotten from the whole header ideal, this story will help further captivate what is going on. Today, I dropped my truck back off to have all the things going wrong with the headers readdressed. I of course lost my voice from a cold, so I had my brother tell him everything I wanted done lol. He kind of looked pissed and gave me a look like ,"Hey man, this was your product and idea, I can't control the symptoms". But anyway, we asked him if he'd take a look at my brother's f-350 and his headers to see if he would put them in too. He went outside and looked at the headers for a minute, and then said, "You said you can get somebody else to put these in right?" We said yes, and then he said, "Ok, well have someone put them in, and then I will do all the bending to get your existing exhaust to fit right with the long tube headers. I'm pretty confident my job spooked him so much, he will never accept another header job. Obviously something went terribly wrong that he's not telling me, because he used to always say yes to the toughest jobs. I'm hoping whatever happened was fixed. Also guys, I noticed something.... When I was looking at the bolts on the headers, all of the bolts are in with the locket nuts, EXCEPT, one of them. One has a screw with a nut on it and doesn't look like any of the other bolts. Does this signify that there is a bolt stuck in the head on that socket or what? Anyway, he'll be done with it by tomorrow afternoon. He's going to fix any of the exhaust leaks, take a look at the weird watery girgly noise coming from the dashboard, why the truck is running poorly and shutting off sometimes, and putting the cat after the y-pipe. I'm hoping he addresses all of this.

Also, do you know anyone that can reprogram the stock computer on our dodges to help signify that there are mods done? I feel like my computer, even after disconnecting the battery, still hasn't acknowledged my headers and I think it's why shes still kind of running poorly. IT hesitates alot, doesn't idle as good anymore etc. Sometimes it does run good, others very sluggish, and it's concerning me. I also am getting 8.5mpg now, so it's gotten worse since the headers, gay..

Old 01-22-2008, 09:27 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

you dont need a pcm after headers lol. bolt ons in general dont require pcm updates. hope all goes well on the northern front

Quick Reply: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?