2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

another new guy question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:45 PM
dodge@1997
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another new guy question

Looking for some adjvice! I inherated a 1997 dodge ram 2500 4x4. This is my first dodge. The truck onlyhas 60,000 miles on it, but it has sat a lot and it has some issues I have been trying to work out.
1.4x4 light on dasestays on most of the time, but truck not in 4x4.
2.A growling sound from the transfer case sometimes (only in reverse)
3.Large oil comsumption when driving on highway with no external leak found. (9 quarts from PA to WI)
4. Doesn't seam to have the power a 360 should have
5. Only 7 MPG

Work I have done is New oil pan and tranny pan.(they were rotted out)
Changed air filter,plugs,wires,cap, and rotor
New rims and tires 305/70R16

Any help or sugestions would be great!!!! Was wondering if the 4x4 light would make computer think it was in 4x4

Old 02-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional
Default RE: another new guy question

Well the 4x4 light could jus be a bad switch.As far as the gas mileage and oil consumption.. A little techtip take a flash light and peer down the throttlebody and if u see oil on the pan you have a pluenem leak.. Not that bad of a fix and it pretty common they make good kits to stop the problem.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:11 PM
zique
Captain

1 and 2: Check your actuator for vacuum and the rearmost snapring on the t-case
3-5: Plenum

Being a new guy, I'll go a little easier on you...but next time, just use the search button for common questions like this...

Old 02-05-2008, 03:47 PM
akyne
Rookie

Nine quarts from PA to WI seems like a heck of a lot, even for a blown plenum. I'd be checking all the basic spots, valve covers, timing chain cover, main seals. If there is excessive sweating, that may be indicitave of a slow leak while under load. Definately check the manifold plenum because it seems to be a question of when, not if it will blow. Additionally, these motors are notorious for not liking certain brands of oil filters. Your filter may have backed off enough to blow-off oil when under a driving load. Climb under your truck and see if there is any oil staining aft of the motor that might indicate a slow leak under load. Last, but not least, what SAE are you using for oil? You might want to try something a bit heavier. You could be getting a bit of blow-by in your cylinders, or if the truck has been sitting for a long time, possibly a couple of valve seals have dried and cracked. A numerically higher rated oil can reduce internal consumption.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:17 PM
dodge@1997
Rookie

Using a fram oil filter and 10w30. When traveling from Pa to WI i was dumping 15w40 in it, but that didn't work out so well in WI temps so went back to 10w30. what brand of oil filters do they like.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:24 PM
akyne
Rookie

Yeah, I guess if you were dumping in 15W40 it can't be a viscosity problem! I run 10-30 almost year round and it works pretty well. A lot of guys have reported troubles with the fram filters but personally I've found them to be ok. Guaranteed your plenum is part of the problem so check that first. A blown manifold plenum gasket will also contribute to horrible fuel mileage. Use the search page of the forum to look into that further, there's no shortage of info about it. As I suggested though, I'd slide underneath the truck and see if there is any visual indication of leaking anywhere (oil staining etc). It's tough to get these motors buttoned up perfectly. I usually go through about 1 - 2 quarts per oil change interval depending on the kind of driving i'm doing and I've replaced my plenum gasket. I'm not dripping anything on the driveway, but I can see a bit of sweat on my main seals and timing cover. The fact that your 4wd light is on may be indication that you're partially engaged in 4hi which will also be detrimental to your fuel mileage.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to DF !
in spite of your current problems, congratulations on a great truck !!
the 2500 has the heavy duty dana 60 axles, which will offer you tons of upgrade options that are not available to the 1500's.

1.4x4 light on dash stays on most of the time, but truck not in 4x4.
light switch on the end of the cad is gunked up, stuck, or shorted out.
easy fix. might be able to clean, or just replace for $10-20.
http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/repair/..._engagment.htm

2.A growling sound from the transfer case sometimes (only in reverse)
be aware that these dodge transmissions produce a groaning sound in reverse when cold.
if it goes away when warmed up, its probably the trans, and its normal.
if it does it all the time, investigate more. snap ring is common.
after you get the major problems ironed out, you'll want to service the tranny.

3.Large oil comsumption when driving on highway with no external leak found. (9 quarts from PA to WI)
plenum

4. Doesn't seam to have the power a 360 should have
plenum. also see TPS, throttle position sensor.

5. Only 7 MPG
don't expect more than about 12-14 tops.
see 02 sensors, plenum, probably need full tuneup.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 AM
dodge@1997
Rookie

I found the parts list for the plenum repair. Is there a good place to get the plenum kit itself? I looked for a link on the forum, but I coul not fing one.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
jstnumber73
Rookie

I just bought mine from Hughes. www.hughesengines.com came to 140 with new pan gaskets and bolts. Actaully 160 with ups 2nd day. Figured faster i get it faster i can stop getting ****ty MPG's lol

Old 02-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: zique

1 and 2: Check your actuator for vacuum and the rearmost snapring on the t-case
3-5: Plenum

Being a new guy, I'll go a little easier on you...but next time, just use the search button for common questions like this...
Searching first is always good, but i doubt he knew in advance that it was a common question before he asked it.

As for the plenum repair kit, check out APS Precision. $84 for the kit plus $12 shipping. Inludes all the bolts and all the gaskets you need, plus good instructions. You might have to call them to order it, i've heard there link to order online isn't working right now. Thats who I got my kit from.
http://www.apsprecision.com/billetplenum.html

Quick Reply: another new guy question