2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

It happen***UPDATE FINISHED***

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:01 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: It happen

That's a real purdy TC, you call that mint? You know, they make a purple one too.

JK, you're pretty ballsy pulling a trans apart on your own. I don't think I've got the stones to dig that far in.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:05 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not just me alone doing this , I got the wisdom of my dad and my brother looking over my shoulder , should be built saturday and on the road by next friday.. depends on weather , me and what the work week has at the shop..

Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a better pic of the overdrive failure?
Usually if the overdrive fails it's from fluid starvation. Check or replace the transcooler and consider removing the cooler check valve.
The rear overdrive bearing is a common failure with OD damage too. Check it real good.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:34 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: rabbler

How about a better pic of the overdrive failure?
Usually if the overdrive fails it's from fluid starvation. Check or replace the transcooler and consider removing the cooler check valve.
The rear overdrive bearing is a common failure with OD damage too. Check it real good.
You got it , the bushing in the gear either walk its way down or who ever rebuilt it before installed the bushing wrong and thats where it got burnt up .Better opic ill tell you what the gear color is its dark , have the new gear , bushing ..So think of the new gear as a shinny silver looking , kinda tells how much heat has build up into it.. Just to give ya an idea on the garage my dad is an 30 year ASE , my brother is a 15 year ASE , me im just an inspection /emmisions guy (light duty work per say) But you are right rabbler No stone goes unturn..

Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

I'm sure your Dad and Bro know what their doing. Just thought I'd chime in. I rebuilt lots of these trannys back in the day.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:02 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: rabbler

I'm sure your Dad and Bro know what their doing. Just thought I'd chime in. I rebuilt lots of these trannys back in the day.
Thanks for doing so !!! the thing that has us stump , the bushing should of been at the top of the gear (near the top) does the bushing work it self down or would it been a human error ? the trans was rebuilt in 06 , i bought it in 07 .. I will take a better pic of the burnt gear and the shaft....

1 more thing when we drop the trans pan there was sludge on the bottom of pan so we where thinking 1 TQ coverter with the clutches inside of it burnt up and maybe the OD bushing to.. The bands showed no burnt nor did the clutches..

Old 04-09-2008, 09:28 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

If ya give me a better pic on the bushing maybe I can pose a theory.
Like I said when I see the majority of the damage the OD I immediately check the cooler and cooler lines. The torque converter generates tremendous heat and if the tranny can't dissipate the heat through the cooler the whole thing melts down. The OD is usually one of the first things to go.
I wish I had taken pics but back in '96 we had a wicked cold winter on the prairies. -40 almost the whole month. The trans fluid gelled in the coolers and the trannies literally melted. I have never seen such damage. Trans fluid blacker than diesel oil and overdrives that were turned to ash inside. Whole trannies were tossed in the junk pile because nothing could be reused except the case. You know the big spring in the overdrive you have to compress to get at the 2nd set of clutches? They got so hot all the tension was gone from the spring and you could compress it by hand.
It was quite a month!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:27 PM
pipeking
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

silver with the gun,and the million dollar questions.lol

Old 04-09-2008, 10:45 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Why would you do that when you could put in a $4000 bulletproof transmission with a 3 yr warranty. I hear that's the way to go.
Oh c'mon Reid, we all know that's the most efficient route to go!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I couldn't help but notice Indy's new signature. I feel so special that I surround this man's life I still love you sweety!