2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Pictures & Other Goods

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:48 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission Pictures & Other Goods

No if you remove the spacer your truck will be back down to the stock offroad height and you will be able to use stock shocks from the offroad model or if they aren't specifically for the offroad model they need to be for around a 1.5" lift. When you lift the truck with larger coil springs or spacers ontop of the coil springs you need longer shocks. The shocks don't provide any lift you just have the get them in the length that you need for your lift.

If you got ones for 5" of lift and ended up replacing the coils and spacer with just 5" lift coils later on these shocks would still work.

I probably wouldn't replace the springs unless they are bad which they may or may not be. It may or may not stiffen up your ride. It will somewhat. When I didn't have shocks at all in mine I could push down on the side and it would rock back and forth light crazy. When I put my shocks back on it doesn't do that. If your trucks shocks are that bad they probably really are cupping your front tires.

You don't have to mess with the springs as the shock just comes up out the middle of the spring.
What kind of weather do you guys have there? It's not a bad job. I could probably do it in an hour if you let me use my impact gun. Even for a first time it shouldn't take you too long.

I don't want to say for sure it will stiffen up your suspension as it may not but it sounds like your shocks are almost non existant. I don't know that it's the problem though since you said you have newer shocks on the rear and the rear does it.

Do you have the factory shock towers? Post a picture of how your shock is setup? I don't remember from your picture. You might could get a shock tower thats flat to let you use a shorter shock. I've seen some people do that but I'd just get the correct length shocks if you don't already have that setup.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:53 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I knew I had seen a picture of your shock setup in your photobucket before.
Name:  DSC00913.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  80.3 KB
You have the stock shock tower setup although I don't think those are stock shocks. Not 100% sure though but I don't think stock ones look like that.

Anyway if you keep your coil spacers and basically the setup you have now and just change the shocks you should need ones for 4.5" or so of lift. If you get rid of the spacers and keep the offroad coils you need ones for the offroad model or 1.5" of lift. With 1.5" of lift you could probably get away with running the stock shocks although it might not be a bad idea since you new ones anyway to get the correct length.

You should paint them so they don't look like that again. Those things look like they have gotten bad.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:54 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I still don't get what you mean? If I get a 5" shock, how will it fit the spacer? If I get 5" shocks, and I'm getting rid of the spacers in the front? Sorry, I'm just getting confused. Also, I thought the coil springs need to be the same size as the shocks? Kind of like what it is stock offroad height, the shock and the coil spring are both 1.5" lift, so they match. If I buy a 5" shock, won't it be much longer than the coil spring?

Old 04-04-2008, 04:02 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Your shock goes through the coil spring as you can see in that above picture. Since your coil springs are for 1.5" of lift and your spacer is for 3" of lift that basically makes it like the coil spring is 3" longer you need shocks for 4.5" of lift. Your spacers just make it like the coil spring is 3" longer than it really is. It needs to be longer than the coil spring anyway. As you can see it goes from the bottom of the coil spring through the spacer up to the top of that shock tower mount.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:04 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

The shocks do nothing as far as lifting or lowering your truck though. You need them the correct lenth to work with the lift.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:06 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Ok, so when I go to buy a new shock, I do not want to get the same sized offroad sized shock? So wait, does that stock shock go through that coil spacer? I always thought the coil spacers just sat ontop of the shock. So right now is that shock being over extended for what it is or something? Basically what I'm after is getting rid of those coil spacers if I can. In order to do this, I go to say VIP, and order a 5" Rancho shock? And this will get rid of the coil spacer right, yet still keep my 4.5-5" lift right?

Also, the shocks in the rear were for 2-3 inches. They fit, but would they fit even if they weren't the right size? Sorry, just get confused with all this coil spring, coil spacer, shocks, and overall lift business[8D]

Old 04-04-2008, 04:17 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

If you go get a shock for 5" of lift and take out your coil spacer that shock will now be too long and you won't have any more lift than a stock offroad.

On the rear are you sure yours is lifted anymore than normal? A lot of guys just stick spacers on the front. If they are the wrong size sometimes they will fit and just be extended way more than they are supposed to so they don't have as much travel. Sometimes you can compress them more than normal if they are too long.

Basically if you keep that setup get a shock for 4.5" of lift or so is what I'd do. If I got rid of the spacers I'd get a shock for 1.5" of lift or the offroad model either one.

You can put a shock for 8" of lift on there and if it fits you won't get any additional lift as you what you have now and it would be way too compressed.

The shocks go through the coil spacer and stop at the top of that shock tower mount. Look in the engine bay and you can see the top of the shock come through the shock tower. It's that shaft with a nut on it. I can post a picture in a minute of what it looks like in the engine bay.

If you want to get rid of your spacer but keep 5" of lift you need to get coil springs that are for 5" of lift and replace the spring and spacer with those spacers. Then you still need the shock for 5" of lift.

The coils springs are what give you your lift not the shocks.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:18 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

You can see the top of the shocks here.
Name:  TruckMarch2708Piantedsocksandtin-8.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  109.8 KB

Old 04-04-2008, 04:23 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

So how is that shock functioning right now if it should be for 4.5" of lift? I mean, is it worth getting rid of the spacers? They just seem kind of flimzy to me. If it's too much, I'll keep them, but how much do you think it would cost to buy some 5" coil springs and shocks??

Old 04-04-2008, 04:39 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

spring and shocks 300 easy , plus you will need a drop pitman arm and drop swaybar brackets..

Quick Reply: Transmission Pictures & Other Goods