2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My rear is screwed

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My rear is screwed

Had itin the garage today to get the pinion seal replaced. Went over to talk to the guy and he tells me the bad news. Seems theres a half inch of play in my rear and needs rebuilt. He said he don't do it anymore used to years ago but not anymore. So what are my options? I need this done fast and not too expensive if possible.

I'm gonna call around to a few places at least 1 place that I had work done at before on my Toyota andsee what it would cost but I need ideas guys!

Thanks

Old 04-08-2008, 01:37 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: My rear is screwed

well after making that phone call the guy tells me if its just bearings its 6-700 bucks if it needs the ring and pinion and all that double it. ****ing wonderful

Old 04-08-2008, 01:59 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, just give me a call later. Theres a guy upabove walmart that's decent. A bearing doesn't cost 6-700 dollars btw.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:40 PM
556fmj
Professional

yeah, if you have slop, it's probably the ring and pinion, and you'll want to do the bearings at the same time, in that case, but they are WAY cheaper than 600 bucks.
here's a few options:

Just for selections sake, i chose a dana 70 with 3.55 gears and drum brakes on this check... Yours may vary slightly, but there is one here for a grand at a yard (almost no down time, a pretty simple swap, and it has a locker <apparantly&gt

A. Malinish USA-PA(Ligonier) E-mail 1-866-238-4080http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

or rebuild your current one. here's a link for good rear end parts, etc. They have tons of different rears listed for 3/4 ton dodges, so you'll have to know what you have, but it shouldn't be that difficult with an ID guide. I chose a dana 70 again for this one (the d70U to be specific)

http://www.ringpinion.com/PartCats.a...Spicer%20D70-U

4wheelparts lists yours as a dana 60, so there is a little discrepancy there, but here's their link

http://www.4wheelparts.com/partLists...ptID=5092&

your rear is a dana, thats for certain, and there are countless books on how to set up stuff, but if you are still scared away, any good rear end guy should be able to build it. you might even check out four wheel parts wholesalers www.4wheelparts.com and places like that, they do stuff like this every day. Oh, and when i chose locations, I just used generic philly or pittsburgh stuff, because i don't know exaclty where you are.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:06 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

Retrating my statements.. didn't realize it was a 3/4 ton.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

LMAO, the subject on this thread just made my day.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

LMAO, the subject on this thread just made my day.
I was ready with a few smart comments of my own, but then I saw how much trouble the guy was going to have to go through (and possibly spend) and decided to hold my tongue.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:43 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid $450 labor to have my LSD replaced and bearings put in. I don't remember how much the bearings cost me. This one one of the better if not the best guys in this area imo and many others opinion. This wasn't doing the Ring and pinion though. They told me the kits to do that were another $2-300 if I needed it. Turns out mine was in great shape once they got it apart. It's an expensive thing.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can get a master install kit for $120 or so and a new ring and pinion for $200. Add in the labor for $250-$350 and you're well under $1200. Take your business elsewhere.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

You can get a master install kit for $120 or so and a new ring and pinion for $200. Add in the labor for $250-$350 and you're well under $1200. Take your business elsewhere.
LMAO.. he must have called to maine for that quote. im jk. Give Dan's Driveline a call like i told ya earlier. He's a backwoods guy that doesnt seem like he's out to get ya. I talked to him about a LSD install and he then started on drinkin story's. Lol...Wish ya luck! Btw, since no one else will take the initiative to bust your *****... I'll take this oportunity buddy.

Had itin the garage today to get the pinion seal replaced. Went over to talk to the guy and he tells me the bad news. Seems theres a half inch of play in my rear and needs rebuilt. He said he don't do it anymore used to years ago but not anymore. So what are my options? I need this done fast and not too expensive if possible.
Sounds like he took care of ya without even buying anything yet.

Quick Reply: My rear is screwed