2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hockey pucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:35 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hockey pucks

doing a body lift adds stress to the body mounts, and most people who do body lifts dont by all the modifications necessary, and what happens is that skipping the suspension upgrade to get high up adds the effect of more twisting that the actual frame cant handle without the upgrades to suspension

Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh?

If your suggesting a body lift is not areplacement for a proper suspension system, I agree.

But incorporating a body lift into your truck as part of the total package doesn't make it non offroadable. (is that a real word?)

My opinion.

I don't care for body lifts but I don't have anything against anyone who has one.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

oh i never implied that it made it incapable of off roading, I just implied that it does nothing to improve performance and does slightly take away from performane, where is the gain other than larger tires??

Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I don't like body lifts I don't know that they are that bad as long as they are done right. Afterall DJ Gaston had a body lift on his truck and it was one of the best built trucks I've seen and it was very capable offroad.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:23 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

but be honest, how many body lifts have you seen done right?? All my friends rigs who have had body lifts have ended up regretting it in the end... but most of them also drive yotas and jeeps so thats regrettable itself.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:15 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey now. Jeeps aren't bad.

Toyotas... now thats debatable.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:47 AM
froesen
Professional

I'm still a little confused on the issue of reducing offroadability (i like it, rabbler...). I have a body lift on my truck, a proper kit, and part of the reason I went with a combo of body and suspension lift was to keep the frame slightly lower, which is a large portion of the weight of the vehicle, and helps keep the center of gravity down....and that's good, on or off-road. Of course, a body lift doesn't do much of anything for yourlikelyhood of high centerability or approach angularity, but everything's a trade-off. I'm still not crazy about body lifts, but they have their place. And as far as doing it right, as was said, how many times have you seen stacked blocks or square tubing for suspension mods? I'd rather see a cab shift than an axle fall off....

Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A body lit would help you cram a bigger air filter in your round air cleaner.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 AM
mstephen89
Captain

thats right, bigger air filters are good for 20hp, lol. Seriously though when someone purchases a good 300 dollar body lift, the bumper brackets to go with it, and the pieces of metal to cover all of the gaps, i think the trucks look good, and for the most part larger tires=better offroad. As long as you regear and things like that. I hate body lifts unless they are done right. I'm still undecided as to whether I want one or not, probably not though. I can run 35's and thats all I need for now, maybe 37's one day but then I need 8lug 3/4ton axles.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:24 AM
shaneballance

well i lived in ga and the only body lifts i see is that all the bro out there in there hoopty,with metal pvc pipes on there town car so thay can put some 20 on......im not being racest....just stating a fact............funny how that both come togather........i guess to be trutfull you have to be racest...huuu you figger it out........my truck is hight enough.im not gready

Quick Reply: hockey pucks