2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED tailgate bars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Make sure your neutral safety switch is adjusted correctly. (assuming auto trans.) That's what turn the backup lights on as well.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:50 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't have the "Line of Fire" lights, never was really interested in them, but about every guy in my hunting club with a kid with a truck whose in that 16-20 year old age group seems to have them.
The consensus is most of them don't last worth a crap without LEDs going out or the whole thing basically burning out, especially the ebay ones. From what I'm hearing the Recon ones seem to hold up better than about anything else out there.

I think we still get a 20% discount with Recon directly, enter DODGEFORUM under the coupon code.

As far as rear lighting goes, I made a set of lights to slip in my rear receiver and wired up a switch to them. With the switch set to "off" they act as backup lights and when I flip the switch to "on" they stay on, so's I can see to do things behind the truck.
Only downfall to this one is I can't have it in when I've got the boat or a trailer hooked up. I think I'm gonna get my hands on an oversized piece of square pipe and make one that will slip over the receiver and line up the pin holes, thisaway I will be able to use lights with a trailer hooked up. I've seen the cheesy plastic versions of this out there, but can make one out of steel for a fraction of what those cost...

Name:  0608000918.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  0528000856a.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  61.7 KB

Old 07-23-2011, 01:32 PM
shorty24v
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
As far as rear lighting goes, I made a set of lights to slip in my rear receiver and wired up a switch to them. With the switch set to "off" they act as backup lights and when I flip the switch to "on" they stay on, so's I can see to do things behind the truck.
Only downfall to this one is I can't have it in when I've got the boat or a trailer hooked up. I think I'm gonna get my hands on an oversized piece of square pipe and make one that will slip over the receiver and line up the pin holes, thisaway I will be able to use lights with a trailer hooked up. I've seen the cheesy plastic versions of this out there, but can make one out of steel for a fraction of what those cost...
Do you have any other pics of that? I'm interested in doing something like that. I like the idea. Or even better maybe a quick DIY rundown? Also did u even get a hold of BadStratRT?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:30 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is not a thing on Hammer's truck that doesn't impress the hell out of me. That is a pure genius idea there my friend.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:25 AM
pduffey8709
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Make sure your neutral safety switch is adjusted correctly. (assuming auto trans.) That's what turn the backup lights on as well.

i messed with it and the lights go on only its not in proper reverse if that make any sense..truck will be in reverse and the shift indicator lines up with the r but ill have to move the shifter a llitte bit towards park to get the back up lights to cut on. is there anything else i can do? i already messed with the shift indicator and now they all line up correctly but no reverse lights trying to think i unplugged the led lights and still no reverse lights.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:05 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by hiusmell
Do you have any other pics of that? I'm interested in doing something like that. I like the idea. Or even better maybe a quick DIY rundown? Also did u even get a hold of BadStratRT?
Only pics I got right now. The wiring took a little trial and error, the best I could do with the switch coming off the 4 pin trailer pig tail was having reverse lights or the lights stay on constant with the driving lights. Didn't want to have to turn ALL my lights on just to have these come on so I had to run a wire from a source that was constantly hot and I couldn't find one at the rear of the truck, so that was a long run. It's tough to see in the pic, but you'll notice the 4 pin pig tail extension and an inline fuse (didn't want this thing to short out and take my trailer lights out with it). So it runs off the constant hot when the switch is "on" and the 4 pin when "off". I only connected the ground, reverse and brake light lines from the 4 pin, didn't want them flashing with the blinkers.
I'll try to snap some close up pics when I get a chance and maybe do a short DIY.

I ain't heard a damn thing outta BadStratRT since before I left to spend a week up at the farm planting for dove season. Even left a post in a section just for moderators about you. About three or four other mods commented about knowing guys who want decals too, but so far, the man with the stickers has been AWOL. Somebody said he just started a new job, maybe that's what's going on.

Originally Posted by LegendKiller89
There is not a thing on Hammer's truck that doesn't impress the hell out of me. That is a pure genius idea there my friend.
Well, that's a hell of a compliment and it's very much appreciated. I just like to tinker. It's funny but all my other trucks I never did much more than a body lift and some exhaust work, whether it be a simple cat-back or true duals. But my step dad had a severe stroke and my mom got very sick around the same time and they both required round the clock care. I had no choice but to sell my business and move to their place to care for them. Not being able to go too far from the house or stay away for very long, you can imagine the boredome, so I started tinkering with the truck in the driveway and one thing led to another.

I'm not too bright either, I think the license plate holder mounted to the winch fairlead was an original idea (at least if one was out there at the time, I was not aware of it). Just happened to be looking at a Mag-Lite holder one day and thought they looked just about right to clamp onto a fairlead roller. Came out good, put a couple DIYs out there on some sites and about a year later someone who knew I made these linked me to a site selling them. Now they are in most truck/jeep accessory stores.

I need to start a thread in 3rd Gen that's just the things I've made myself like that, I've got quite a few between my truck and my Jeep. Won an award for my idea of using the programmable HomeLink buttons to turn off-road lights on & off on one site. I think I invented that one too, LOL.

Working on a fishing rod holder to slide in the front receiver on my Jeep right now for surf fishing or fishing the sandbars on the south Georgia rivers for catfish. Will hold a couple of rods, have a small tackle tray, 12v outlet for light or aerator and the all important holder for my beverage of choice. I've got it drawn up on paper the way I kinda want it and have almost all the materials for it, just a matter of getting the time to weld it up...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-24-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:02 PM
deerehunter
Amateur

I agree with LedgendKiller89. Lmao

Old 07-24-2011, 04:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Well, now that we've just completely jacked this thread away from poor old 05DodgeRamHemi...

For any of y'all who are interested, I just made a thread in the 3rd Gen Discussion section of the mods I've hand-made:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ml#post2556560

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-24-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: LED tailgate bars?