2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

1997 Ram - Headlight switch keeps burring out... losing headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 01:53 AM
Homerr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Ram - Headlight switch keeps burring out... losing headlights

Apologies if this question has been asked.. I'm new to the forum!

A friend of mine owns a 1997 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton, V-10. He has been having problems with his headlight switch burning out.
He doesn't have internet access, so I'm trying to help him out.

He says his lights would flicker, then eventually fail all together... This doesn't happen right away, but over time. He's replaced the switch 3 times over the past 3 or 4 years. At $100+ a pop... it's getting expensive!
Obviously a very dangerous situation. He replaces his light switch and all is well for a while until it happens again. The dealer of course... won't admit there is a problem.

I did some research and it would appear this is a common problem that has occurred over many models and years of Dodge.

I was examining his old switch, and the 'H' terminal of the switch is extremely discolored from heat. Obviously it has been drawing too much load or something. The truck has all OEM lighting. Nothing high-powered or aftermarket.

Does anyone know of a permanent fix for this?
I was thinking a person could put a 30 amp relay in between the 'H' terminal and direct battery. Use the OEM wire to run the relay and then the battery to run the lights. This is a standard way to run an off road light system. (Or run the dual relay system on the high and low beams)
This way you could remove any high load from the headlight switch and put it on the relay.
I was also wondering if a simple 12 volt fan mounted above the switch would help.

Thoughts?

Is there a class-action suit going on with the headlight switch failures? If so, can someone let me know who to contact?

Thanks,

H.

Old 01-11-2005, 03:03 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran
Default RE: 1997 Ram - Headlight switch keeps burring out... losing headlights

I did a quick search and couln't find a TSB on it, but I've heard a few other complaints of the same thing. I wouldn't put a fan in there, as the sound of it would get annoying real quick. I'd add a relay, like you were thinking of doing, and take all of the load off the switch and see how that holds up.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:32 PM
JLG

I am having the same problem, I have replaced the headlight switch twice. The switch and the dash get to hot to touch. My headlights will blink on and off, sometimes the radio won't work. I have had it to two wiring mechanics and they say it is ok. My atuo mechanic has also said it is not a problem. However, it is to me! I am pulling a trailer. Any suggestions?

Old 01-14-2005, 04:57 PM
dodgewhine
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a bulletin years ago to replace the switch and add power relays to the light switch. The problem is too much current went thru the switch. The relays take up the current. You can do this yourself with some wiring knowledge. The main thing is to take the headlights on one relay and the park lights on another relay. Then the headlight switch only handles low current to activate the relays.

The following users liked this post:
Kyle Small (04-04-2021)
Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 PM
excavatordude
Default flickering headlights

hi i am new here . i have a 98 dodge dakota with the same problem of flickering headlights , due to my headlight switch overheating . this is what i tryed and it proved that the headlight switch was overheating .
i took the dash panel off to get at my headlight switch .
above the switch is the air vent . in the bottom of the air vent i cut 3 sides about 2" x 2" , like this: ( l__l ). then i reached in the hole where the headlight switch goes , and pushed up on the tab so that some of the air comming through the vent would be directed downward to keep the headlight switch cool and from overheating. i then put it back together, and started the truck , and turned on the lights and waited for them to start flickering again , witch they did . then i turned on the blower fan and about 15 seconds later , the lights stoped blinking , and worked normal again. its been one week now and no flickering or loosing my lights.
so this proves to me that the switch is overheating , but what i dont know yet is what is causing it to overheat . if you got the answer , please let me know . thank you. ben.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Flue
Veteran

Originally Posted by excavatordude
hi i am new here . i have a 98 dodge dakota with the same problem of flickering headlights , due to my headlight switch overheating . this is what i tryed and it proved that the headlight switch was overheating .
i took the dash panel off to get at my headlight switch .
above the switch is the air vent . in the bottom of the air vent i cut 3 sides about 2" x 2" , like this: ( l__l ). then i reached in the hole where the headlight switch goes , and pushed up on the tab so that some of the air comming through the vent would be directed downward to keep the headlight switch cool and from overheating. i then put it back together, and started the truck , and turned on the lights and waited for them to start flickering again , witch they did . then i turned on the blower fan and about 15 seconds later , the lights stoped blinking , and worked normal again. its been one week now and no flickering or loosing my lights.
so this proves to me that the switch is overheating , but what i dont know yet is what is causing it to overheat . if you got the answer , please let me know . thank you. ben.
But when it gets cold out and you crank the heat (if you 'have' heat) then you overheat the switch prematurely. Best bet, put in a relay suitable for the amount of amps being drawn. Granted you now have two points for failure, but the $7 relay is cheaper and easier to replace than the switch would be.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 AM
excavatordude
Smile i agree

Originally Posted by Flue
But when it gets cold out and you crank the heat (if you 'have' heat) then you overheat the switch prematurely. Best bet, put in a relay suitable for the amount of amps being drawn. Granted you now have two points for failure, but the $7 relay is cheaper and easier to replace than the switch would be.
yes, you are right . i do nave to keep the air flow slightly cooler , to keep the headlight switch from overheating . but like i said , this was just a test to prove to myself that the headlight switch was indeed over heating . now i will take your advice and install the relay .

thank you very much.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

ANy particular reason we are resurrecting a FIVE YEAR OLD topic?? Pushing Six??????

Old 12-07-2010, 06:34 PM
crazykilla

@HeyYou, possibly because some of us actually still are having this problem.. and all the links to wiring diagrams are dead... Thus the reason we look for new ones... Just sayin..

Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 PM
excavatordude
Thumbs up yes your right

i talked to a guy at canadian tire tonight about my overheated heated headlight switch , and he told me to reverse the wires on my day time running light module and my problem would be solved . so tomorrow i will try this . he said the dtrl module has 4 relays in it .
i am just trying to find or solve this problem and hopefully help others with this problem . lately i am seeing lots of cars going with blinking headlights.

Quick Reply: 1997 Ram - Headlight switch keeps burring out... losing headlights