2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

For anyone interested "Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix"

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adobedude
HA HA....That's how I took my old retainer off, a dremel...BOING!
Wear safety glasses...

BTW. The difference was like night and day.
Lol, I didnt have a dremel, so I took some robo grip pliers lol, and fought with it for about an hour, and finally broke it. But yes, the difference with the new one was very noticable and worth it.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EndIsNear
Lol, I didnt have a dremel, so I took some robo grip pliers lol, and fought with it for about an hour, and finally broke it. But yes, the difference with the new one was very noticable and worth it.
Dremel = 5 seconds....

Old 02-25-2011, 06:29 PM
RamSteeringFix Guy
Thumbs up Several ways to skin that cat....thanks David

Originally Posted by EndIsNear

EndisNear:

The way you removed the stock column lower bearing tension spring is perfectly valid, however there is a simplified way to deal with this:

Just cut across several of the spring links, using the Dremel cutting wheel, they kind of collapse & the whole spring loosens, which should allow for easier removal as the tension releases and the end retainer (which tends to 'hide' as it's the same diameter as the spring itself) is more obvious, and if a slight gap appears, the edge of said retainer can then be grasped by pliers & twisted off. Then remove the spring & OEM bearing cup & bearing.

David Alan / RamSteeringFix Guy

Old 10-30-2011, 02:43 PM
david7w5

I just found your information searching sites for my steering issues today and i was about to spend lots of money to try to fix my issues. I was reading every ones replies and crawled under my truck and had my wife turn the steering wheel with and without engine running and didn't see any play that would cause the steering to wonder as bad as it does, so i grabbed the column and my bearing at firewall is completely gone, so i guess i will be ordering one shortly

Old 10-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one sitting in my garage that I plan to install if I ever get time.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 AM
shak
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Column Parts?

Originally Posted by dillonjm
As I said in my first post, I really don't know why there isn't a replacement bearing available, the thing is pretty easy to remove and is a sealed part which really would be easily replaceable.

Product liability is the most likely reason Dodge won't sell individual steering column repair parts. In the event of an accident...the ambulance chasers would be all over the truck owner and the Dodge boys if it was discovered that a field/DIY repair was done to a steering column...and loss of steering control was even remotely connected/implicated in the accident.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,358 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Three year old thread there shak.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:04 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's a newbie. Atleast he used the search box.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Whilst we're at it, to further answer the question; The column likely comes in as a non-serviceable sub assembly, so Dodge never see parts there of.
It's just like many other items... you just want this little bit, but have to buy the whole thing.

Old 09-06-2024, 06:51 PM
1994Ram540K1Owner
Default Steering Wheel has Play at (up and down 3/4") like steering wheel will come off.

My steering wheel seems lose just behind the airbag. Anyone else experience this? Not one shop out here in the Portland area have ever seen this.

I replaced the steering colunm, steering gear box, power steering unit and tie rods. zero improvement. Truck is in excellent shape. Truck has 540,000 on it. Very tight still since I bought it new in May 1994.

James in Oregon

Quick Reply: For anyone interested "Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix"