2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

For anyone interested "Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix"

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:38 PM
dillonjm
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For anyone interested "Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix"

I haven't seen a lot of people on here that have tried this product yet, so I figured I'd post up for anyone interested:
http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

I decided to give it a try since I was havinging some clunking in my steering wheel going over bumps. Its essentially just a bushing and retaining washer that goes in place of the factory lower column bearing (which for some reason I was unable to find anyone making a replacement). For as easy as the lower bearing is to remove, I would think there would be an OEM replacement part available, however, only the entire column is available.

Install was simple and the busing looked to be of good quality. My only concern is that there is no way to really grease where the bushing and shaft contact besides a spray lubricant. I suppose only time will tell how well it will hold up.

As for my thoughts after install, the clunking seems to be nearly completely gone. I noticed my slip joint has a little play in my intermediate shaft as well so that was probaby part of the problem. I'll have to get around to replacing that soon also. Steering is also noticeibly tighter.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the good straightforward write up.
I ought to try that bushing too.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:39 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

dillonjm ? I saw this product a few months ago but didn't order it because I thought the play I had was in the top end (by the wheel).So I tried to find an upper bearing or bushing! (of course none available) Turns out that I grabbed the intermediate shaft where it connects before going into the firewall under the brake booster, and it's loose as hell(not the ujoint, but the column bushing). Anyway, my ? is, did you have play, as in the steering wheel would move up and down ? And did the lower bushing correct this also?

Old 09-06-2008, 05:07 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

I didn't really have any play in the wheel itself, you could just feel it on bumpy roads a little knocking in the wheel. A big part of my problem was in the slip joint on the shaft itself, although the bushing did help considerably.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:51 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Thanks for the reply. U-joint is fine, so it certainly is the bottom bushing. But I don't see it tightening up the top by the wheel. Since there is no replacement for the upper one(looks like I'll be needing a column) Unless the lower one screws on and pulls the shaft towards the engine tightening it up. How does the bushing mount? Does it look like it can be reused?

Thanks again.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:41 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

It just slides up the shaft and seats where the lower bearing was in the column itself. It's held in by a retainer ring that is tapped up the shaft with a piece of PVC (which is supplied).

You could re-use the bushing, I'm sure. But you'd probably have to cut the retainer off to remove it (requiring a new retainer if you were to install into a different column).

As I said in my first post, I really don't know why there isn't a replacement bearing available, the thing is pretty easy to remove and is a sealed part which really would be easily replaceable. (that's neither here nor there though)

Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Well I'm hoping when the retainer is installed it pulls the shaft to tighten the top end also. I took the truck out a while ago and noticed I could pull the wheel in and out as well as up and down. When I push the wheel in it doesn't go up and down. So I'll hope for the best. Besides I have a company called Eastern Bearing down the "rud a piece" lol from me. If the bushing doesn't work I'll pull the top end bearing and match it up. They pretty much can get or have anything. At least they have in the past for me.

Thanks again for your time , John

Old 02-09-2010, 08:08 AM
ITTTom
Amateur

I was wondering how this was holding up?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:25 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

My truck got totaled in November, but it(the bushing) was fine. I'm actually going too remove it and install it on the new truck.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That "fix" shouldn't cost more than $29.95.

Quick Reply: For anyone interested "Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix"