2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems with new transmission stuff, REALLY NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 PM
theviper90210
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with new transmission stuff, REALLY NEED HELP!

Long post I know, but im worried and wont drive the truck until I get this figured out. THANKS in advance!!!

Heres the story guys, bought the truck, 2000 dodge ram 5.9l, and changed the tranny fluid and filter, drove for a couple of week with no problems even down to the beach. few weeks later it overheated twice but both times near my house so i was able to get home quick, and the truck did fine. So after alot of reading on this forum. I have just added these things:

- Tranny drain plug (same place as hometheaterman https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthr...ion+drain+plug)
- Autometer tranny gauge (with 3/8 probe in the front servo like Silver), probe screwed all the way into the front servo
- New tranny lines - pressure and return,
- Remote tranny cooler
- Removed the factory tranny cooler to add the flexalite 4232 tranny cooler (same as Silver)
- New tranny oil and filter
- Check valve removed
- Tranny radiator portion drained and blown out.
- Also when I drained the fluid I emptied the pan, installed the new filter, and temporally bolted the pan back, and had to go out of town of a week, so it got to drain more into the pan, since i had the lines and check valve disconnected at the front, So I emptied the rest of the oil before finally installing the pan.

Now with all this new stuff, I filled the tranny up with about 4 qts, and started the engine. I followed the correct procedure for filling the tranny with oil (as per people on the forum and the FSM), I noticed my autometer gauge barely getting about 100 after a good while of idling, also the longer it idled, I noticed I needed more fluid (since the whole system was new, made since), so now I am at 7 and 1/2 qts of fluid. I started noticing like "buzzing" not really grinding noise, coming from the tranny, it would come and go, while idling, this was before and after getting up too 7 1/2 qts. I shifted the truck in drive and reverse in the driveway (never giving it gas, barley moved back and forth) and sometimes it would engage and move and then I would try again and it would not. So its like the torque converter doesnt have enough fluid, and the buzzing noise it the pump making noise because it doesnt have enough fluid. What do you guys think. Any help would be great as I dont want to hurt the tranny or have to have it towed to a tranny shop.

Last edited by theviper90210; 09-10-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You only put in 3 quarts before you started it up? How long did you let it run before you added more fluid?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:27 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thought it was at least 4qts?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 PM
theviper90210
Professional

it was 4 qts that I started with (edited the post), not long anyways, I was checking it quickly and alot.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:27 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you 100% positive that you did not mix up a line connection somewhere?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:57 PM
theviper90210
Professional

mine is hooked up just like this (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/95322-transmission-cooler-and-remote-filter-added.html),

Pressure line > Remote filter IN > Remote filter OUT > Radiator IN (bottom of rad) > Radiator OUT (top of rad) > New Tranny cooler IN > New Tranny cooler OUT > Return line

Also the tranny cooler did NOT show a IN and OUT, neither did the directions, so I figured it did not matter.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:21 PM
theviper90210
Professional

btt, what do you guys think, I know somebody should have a idea

Old 09-10-2008, 08:52 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what I have read when googling your issue, the sound might be coming from your front pump.

people here with a whirrling/buzzing sound http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum.../t-619814.html
resolved it by adding more fluid. one person found they let the transmission get too hot when checking the fluid levels. (underfilled).

Another site that explains possible issues. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/Tr...Noise_Help.htm

The transmission person on this site says the buzzing is from over filling or underfilling and the aeration of the fluid.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Chrysler-...aravan-3-1.htm

Found some more information here:
http://www.dodgeram.info/tsb/1999/21-08-99.htm
Some vehicles may exhibit an intermittent noise from the transmission when reverse gear is selected. This noise has been described as a "buzz", whining", or "moaning" like noise. The noise is most noticeable when transmission fluid temperature is below 38° C. (100° F.). The condition is caused by a resonance of the transmission regulator valve system. Other items may cause regulator valve resonance, including air ingestion into the valve body or out of specification parts. These two items may be the result a possible cracked pump housing, a torn pump gasket, an under filled transmission, a restricted fluid filter or cooler flow, or an out of specification valve and/or valve body. You should remember these additional items / components when you perform your diagnosis.
from what I can find, its an over/under filled issue, but then again, it could be anything.
hope this helps a little.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:14 PM
cars01010

I would look at the torque converter or the valve body or the front pump housing. the TSB noted above does not apply to your vehicle, they had already replaced the valve in question on almost all the 99`s it was more the early models involved in that TSB

Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 PM
theviper90210
Professional

98DodgeRam1500 - Thanks for your research!!!

THANKS alot guys, yea to me it seems like a underfill (not enough fluid) just because It drained for about a week or 2, and that the whole cooling system was replaced and drained. anymore help and info for anybody would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Problems with new transmission stuff, REALLY NEED HELP!