2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hi-flow cat install

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:10 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi-flow cat install

Hi all,
Some of you wanted to know more about installing a hi-flow cat so here ya go. The stock catalytic converter on my '99 5.9l was shot so I decided to go with a Hi-flow. I ordered Magnaflow part #23285 off of ebay for $206 including shipping. This kit included 2 new downpipes, one of which still needed to be clamped to the cat. For this you need a 2" exhaust clamp. A few days later I got the parts and I set to work. Here's a pic of what I started with.

Name:  DSCN2343.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  66.6 KB

First I needed to remove the stock cat and downpipes. To do this you need to remove the 02 sensors, remove the 4 bolts on the manifolds, and then cut the exhaust pipe somewhere behind the cat. It is easier to remove the 02 sensors after the cat is out so I just unplugged the wires and left them alone. (this would also be a good time to replace the sensors) The only hard part about this entire project was removing the 4 bolts on the manifolds. I ended up cutting all 4 of the bolts in between the down pipes and the manifolds because they were so rusty. After 6 hours I finally got all the bolts out using a combination of cut off wheels, hacksaws and impact wrenches. What a pain in the a**. (I'm sure using the proper tools would have helped but I like challenges) With the bolts removed the cat literally fell out. Next I transferred the 2 oxygen sensors to the new cat.
After a trip to the hardware store for 4 new 3/8" bolts I slid the new cat in and bolted it in. I had no fitment issues at all and I'm very happy with the way everything went together. I also installed a Flowmaster 50 series muffler at the same time and I'm very happy with the results. Very nice sound and according to the butt dyno I gained a few more horses. I can post some more pics of it installed if anyone wants. Just let me know if you have any questions.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice...and if you can stay out of it(which is hard when it sounds good),youre mpg's might go up a little.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:27 AM
PartsChaser
Professional

Good deal, I actually saw that same setup on ebay, wanted to know if anyone had tried it, and it sounds like you had good luck.

Excellent!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Bam24609

post pics after install, ive been lookin at one, just wondering how it will sound

Old 11-20-2008, 01:17 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand you get slightly more pipe that is stainless but I don't really see the advantage to this unless it's that you get to do it yourself. I got a 3" in/out universal Magnaflow cat from Summit and then had a local shop put it on they charged $90 to put it on. So I'm guessing I have around $180 or so into it which comes out quite a bit cheaper than the one you got and I didn't even have to get under the truck at all.

I guess if that piece of your pipe is rusted out this is a better option but otherwise the universal cat is usually cheaper and that's with someone putting it on. Not me having to do it.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Looks like I paid $84.70 from summit for the cat and the shipping and handling charges and all. I just went back and looked. Then $90 for the reducer and to have it welded all on at the shop. So I paid $174.70 for it all and didn't have to work on the truck at all. However, I don't mind working on my truck. I just am saying this is a cheaper option but does not have all that extra piping that gets replaced.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:34 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Be careful. Some 99-01 Dodge Rams don't have the dual in/single out catalytic converter setup, but a y-pipe before the converter and the converter is single in/single out. Make sure and do a visual check before you buy any parts, as most dealerships and mechanics computer software won't know about this change.

They will swear by their computer until they get it up in the air and say "Oh..."

The kit in question may still fit these Rams, but if you have a shop do it all instead, make sure they take a look underneath before grabbing parts.

Last edited by jasonw; 11-20-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:33 PM
CSXfan
All Star

hometheaterman, the local dealer wanted over 900 bucks for a parts and labor for an aftermarket cat of their choosing. I asked if they would install a magnaflow but they said they wouldn't because of emission issues and legal stuff. A few other shops said the same thing. I thought about just getting the dual in single out universal cat but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get a good seal where the down pipe turned into the cat so I just got the direct fit. The entire project cost me about $350 including the muffler.

Bam24609, I'll try to post a few more tonight.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Viper37
Banned

Originally Posted by jason.w
Be careful. Some 99-01 Dodge Rams don't have the dual in/single out catalytic converter setup, but a y-pipe before the converter and the converter is single in/single out. Make sure and do a visual check before you buy any parts, as most dealerships and mechanics computer software won't know about this change.

They will swear by their computer until they get it up in the air and say "Oh..."

The kit in question may still fit these Rams, but if you have a shop do it all instead, make sure they take a look underneath before grabbing parts.
QFT.

I think I might have 3 cats on mine. One coming from each manifold, into a y, and into another.

Fking California.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:47 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by CSXfan
hometheaterman, the local dealer wanted over 900 bucks for a parts and labor for an aftermarket cat of their choosing. I asked if they would install a magnaflow but they said they wouldn't because of emission issues and legal stuff. A few other shops said the same thing. I thought about just getting the dual in single out universal cat but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get a good seal where the down pipe turned into the cat so I just got the direct fit. The entire project cost me about $350 including the muffler.

Bam24609, I'll try to post a few more tonight.
Wow. That actually sounds like something a dealer would quote. Did you call any local small mom and pop exhaust shops and ask if they would install one? Or even Mieneke. I think someone on here got theirs installed there.

Quick Reply: Hi-flow cat install