2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cooling Problem Diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 PM
MrMiracle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Problem Diagnostics

This problem began this morning. As I was driving into work, I noticed that I wasn't getting any heat at all from my vents, even though the engine was warmed up. As I arrived at work, I noticed that the engine was running very hot on the temp gauge.

The ride to work is short, so there wasn't that much risk. I figured maybe there was some ice in the radiator or that the coolant level was low. I topped off the coolant with some 50/50 I keep handy and checked the radiator. Sure enough, there was a bit of coolant-ice on the driver's side of it.

I drove home and encountered the exact same problem. Engine getting hot, no heat from the vents.

Arriving home, I checked the radiator again. There was still ice on it, and there was a small drip coming from where the ice had formed. I concluded that no warm fluid was running to the radiator (otherwise it would have melted).

Based on these events, my first and worst conclusion is that it is the water pump. I'm not getting any flow to the radiator or the heating core, both of which are provided by the pump. The radiator will need to be replaced eventually anyway (its leaking after all), but the pump is going to keep the truck from being usable for the immediate future.

Does this seem like the correct conclusion?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:27 PM
busaguy05
Professional

Your mixture should never freeze. If it does freeze it's a sign that you have added to much water to the system. 50/50 is not always the proper mixture for all climates.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:52 PM
MrMiracle

Originally Posted by busaguy05
Your mixture should never freeze. If it does freeze it's a sign that you have added to much water to the system. 50/50 is not always the proper mixture for all climates.
That's true about the mixture. I'm in the process of moving to a colder climate, so these things will start coming up more often. I'll try running the engine once the day gets warmer, but that hasn't quite answered the flow problem.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:26 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the stock Magnum engine thermostat is a
Robertshaw/Seib made 'standard grade'
195 degree unit that has a steel upper section and brass under-arms

sadly,
the brass under-arms have a bad tendency to crack
which leaves the thermostat not able to operate right

Old 11-21-2008, 07:19 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HankL
the stock Magnum engine thermostat is a
Robertshaw/Seib made 'standard grade'
195 degree unit that has a steel upper section and brass under-arms

sadly,
the brass under-arms have a bad tendency to crack
which leaves the thermostat not able to operate right
Ok , so what is the best one to get? Or is it just pot luck to get a good one?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:44 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the Stant superstat.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you compare the $10 stant with the $5 cheapo you'll see that the stant has more material. since it takes an hour or more to change it and you don't want to be stranded on the side of the road, get the best one.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:42 PM
guitarking135
Professional

I live in indiana and I run a 60 40 or maybe even as much as 70 30 because it can get pretty cold around here. I would suggest running a little more coolant and less water.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:06 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Stant is what I have used for years in all my vehicles . Have had a couple bad ones. And almost every time in the past I installed a cheapo that someone bought themselves, I had to do it over for them. Now I make them get a Stant or I don't do the work for them.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:31 PM
wingnut71

quick question not sure if this is the right place for it but here it goes .. why does everyone say they have a 180 degree thermostat and what benefits are there if any by changing from a 195 to a 180 stat. thanks

Quick Reply: Cooling Problem Diagnostics