2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Camshaft Position Sensor Location

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 01:31 PM
bearl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Camshaft Position Sensor Location

Hey all, My grandma gave me my grandpa's old truck, it's a '96 Dodge Ram V6. Since it's been sitting behind her barn for the past two years it won't start. The first thing I did was replace the battery, and I've got it to the point where it will turn over when I turn the key, but it still won't fire. I spent a good hour or so underneath it looking for loose wires or anything that might be out of place, and as far as I can see there isn't anything wrong. After doing some reading for why I might not be getting any spark, I've heard about the possibility of my ASD relay being bad, my fuses being blown, and my camshaft position sensor being bad. I've checked my ASD relay with an ohm meter and it checks out, I'm going to pull the fuses to see if any of them are blown, but I have no idea where on the engine block the Camshaft sensor is... I've read the service manual and the picture they give doesn't really help me. Do any of you guys have a picture or something that can show me exactly what and where I'm looking for? Or even a detailed description would be much appreciated. If I can't find it before too long I'm just going to have it towed and have an auto shop work on it, but I'd like to rule out any of the cheep fixes first.

oh, and the plugs are getting fuel, compression, but no spark. that is the underlying problem.

your replies are much appreciated!

Old 11-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Satellite

The camshaft position sensor is inside the distributor.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:55 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You might also want to check the cap and rotor itself.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:04 PM
bearl

Thanks guys, I see where it is... in the most difficult to reach place they could have put it I'm going to have someone tow it and just let them do the work. With it being 30° out and all, I don't care that much. I did check the fuses and they all were o.k, so I'm pretty sure it has to do with the distributor/sensor assembly.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Satellite

By the way, when my cam position sensor went out it threw the P0340 code.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:23 PM
bert57
Rookie

Let me know what it turns out to be. I may have the same problem too. Only when it's 30 or colder. Space heater pointed at engine warms it up enough to start. I get no spark or fuel pressure when I tested the cold engine. But once I warmed it up I got plenty of spark and fuel pressure. It was suggested it may also be my ASD, cam sensor or crank sensor.

Thanks

Old 11-24-2008, 05:12 AM
bearl

ok, yeah I'll post what it ends up being. I'll ask the guy what kind of a code it's throwing out too.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
bearl

Problem fixed! The guy said it was a bad camshaft position sensor, but he also said there were damaged wires from mice chewing on them. The whole thing cost about $175 to get it running.

Now it has a new issue though... when I went to put gas in it and started to pump the gas, it all poured out on the ground. luckily I was able to drive home with the two year old gas in the tank... it's pretty much on "E" though.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:22 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

175$ for a new to you truck.nice!

if it has been setting that long, you should change all the fluids,check the hoses and belts and stuff. if you donnt you are just asking for more troubles.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:12 AM
bearl

yeah, and in my opinion, $175 was worth just not having my fingers freeze off. I got the chilton repair manual for my truck last night, and I'm going to try to fix the leak in my fuel system today... I suspect the rubber hose that goes from the tank to the fill pipe is busted.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Sensor Location