2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CB Install Image

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 PM
TimSully88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good antenna to use?

I am looking for an alternative to the magnet mount or drilling through the cab. I am in the process of building a custom rack/bracket to mount lights and an antenna above my fiberglass tonneau. In the mean time, I need an antenna.

The through the glass for the CB seems to be junk. Has anyone used the AM/FM antenna spliter for a CB?? I think I am going to use a under the hood lip mount with a steel or fiberglass. I am just going for the most undercover look.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2010, 02:04 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Never have heard anything good about glass mounts. I have heard the spliter things don't work because a am/fm antenna is made for receiving not transmitting. If it's temporary I'd go with a mag mount. Then you can just pop it off when your rack is ready

Old 09-16-2010, 01:32 AM
Andrew2500
Professional

Wow beast! That is a really nice setup! I've always wanted a lightbar just like yours. It'd be red for my state, but unfortunately my department only allows lights for officers. Someday...

Back on topic, I've had great experience with my glass mounts. Like I said, I could receive my FD frequency about 20-25 miles away and the terrain is VERY hilly around here. However, scanner antennas and CB antennas are VERY different. Like beast said, they have to be able to transmit as well as receive. They also need to be tuned. So a window mount scanner antenna could be great, but a window mount CB could be crap. I'd advise against magnet mounts. They'll scratch up your paint.

Hey Beast, what kind of antenna do you have on there? I wanted to do a hood mount just like what you have. How's the reception?

Last edited by Andrew2500; 09-16-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:12 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

Not sure what brand it is. It was one we had laying around or something. Had a twin to it on my old truck hooked to a low band 2way. Seems to pick up great my problem is the scanner I got is retarded. If I had to do it over I would have gotten one that's programmable with all the numbers on it. Mine you have to like search for what freq. you want, then it limits how many can go in each bank

Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Andrew2500
Professional

That's really lame. I have the RadioShack PRO-160 and I totally recommend it. It can hold like 2,000 channels (even though I only use five or six, lol) with ten banks. The cool thing about it is you can add your own Alpha-Numeric tags to your channels so not only will it display the frequency number but it'll say "Boston Fire" or "County Mutual Aid" or whatever. It's really cool. You can probably find one on Ebay. I got mine on clearance for $150. I'd go with the PRO-160 rather than the PRO-163 which is what they are selling in the stores now.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:34 AM
joshsbetterhalf
Professional

I'm kinda surprised, I spent the last 45 minutes reading this entire thread, and no one has posted pictures of the same mounting spot that I have.

Mine is on the passenger's side of the "center hump" on the floor. And my mic holder is screwed in next to the passenger airbag turn off location. It works, it's mounted, but it's a PITA to change anything on the CB. I'll post pictures later. I'm about to build a wooden bracket like a lot of people have and put it right up next to the center seat. My only concern is that on the rare occasion I have someone sitting there I don't want it getting kicked.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:30 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joshsbetterhalf
I'm kinda surprised, I spent the last 45 minutes reading this entire thread, and no one has posted pictures of the same mounting spot that I have.

Mine is on the passenger's side of the "center hump" on the floor. And my mic holder is screwed in next to the passenger airbag turn off location. It works, it's mounted, but it's a PITA to change anything on the CB. I'll post pictures later. I'm about to build a wooden bracket like a lot of people have and put it right up next to the center seat. My only concern is that on the rare occasion I have someone sitting there I don't want it getting kicked.

got a pic of it?

but ive decided im goin with teh firestik hood mount for the antenna, and if im not mistaken i think its the same that bluebeast has.

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-mk...kit-p-315.html

and ive decided on this braket to mount my radio to the center hump
http://www.walcottcb.com/workman-b20...ket-p-136.html

im also gonna get an external speaker for the cb part so that ill be able to hear someone talkin to me.

http://www.walcottcb.com/uniden-esp-...aker-p-96.html

and ive decided im gonna stick with firestik and get their 4' fiberglass tunable tip ant.

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-fs...nna-p-902.html

could i find them cheaper somewhere else, probly, but ive delt with walcott before and i liked the way my order was handled, and i also liked their customer service dept.

Last edited by 004x41500; 09-19-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:07 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

You would be wrong......my bracket is home made.

Andrew my ant is a Maxrad or Radmax or something like that. I pick up **** that I have no idea where it's at. I have been listening more to it since you asked how the reception is and today i was hearing dispatches and have no clue where they are from. I did a few years back put in freqs for NC when I went down there so maybe I'm picking up stuff from afar lol. I hear more of what I don't want then the channels I need to hear lol.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:21 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBeast2
You would be wrong......my bracket is home made.

Andrew my ant is a Maxrad or Radmax or something like that. I pick up **** that I have no idea where it's at. I have been listening more to it since you asked how the reception is and today i was hearing dispatches and have no clue where they are from. I did a few years back put in freqs for NC when I went down there so maybe I'm picking up stuff from afar lol. I hear more of what I don't want then the channels I need to hear lol.

damn, well its essentially the same thing/concept.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:23 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

yup just bustin your stones a little

BTW does that company charge shipping?

Quick Reply: CB Install Image