2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diagnosing Engine Sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:30 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing Engine Sound

Since I have first owned this truck, I noticed it made an awkward "swooshing" sound when it drove. When it idles, there is this type writer of a sound that is just always looming coming from the dashboard (the engine). As you accelerate with the truck, that type writer sound becomes more intense and sounds like a very annoying swooshing sound. I can mute it out with loud music, but trying to enjoy a peaceful ride with low music is out of the question. This sound just never goes a way,and really infiltrates the cab when the truck is accelerating. I've had it checked several times, but nobody fixes it. I had the belt replaced, and the idler pulley replaced as well, but it did not make a difference. It bothers me a lot though. I made a couple of videos of the noise. One at idle from the engine compartment, and then another inside the cab with various amounts of throttle. Any ideas would be helpful, thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZwBCAjWilw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg8SrRwOg_w

Old 12-05-2008, 12:30 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i couldnt hear it on the inside video, but the underhood one sounded like you had a leak on your cold air intake.......get a good length of vacuum hose and put one end up to your ear and probe around with the other and see if you can pinpoint the area its comin from

Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Neon, I have that intake, and it does not make that sound at all. When you installed the Volant, did you use the seal (or get a different one) to put between the TB and the main tube that goes to the filter housing? Should have been just a small, thin, round rubber circle piece. I agree with dakotas, thats not right, sounds like an air leak.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:03 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

or between the tb and intake....

Old 12-05-2008, 07:53 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Problem is, some people see "intake" and they think "intake manifold". I guess I could have said "CAI and TB", but oh well. My explanation works, there was no need for a correction.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:29 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this noise has been prevalent since I first owned this truck. It has done this regardless with the stock airbox, K&N FIPK, airhat, and volant. There is defiantly some kind of sucking noise it makes as well, but the fluttering noise it makes is what really bothers me. One might think it was a leak off the block, but even after the headers and new gaskets it still made the noise. I just wish I could explain it better.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:11 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine does it when it cold and when it warms up it fine might be a belt

Old 12-05-2008, 02:30 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking exhaust leak. I would still check everything the collecters are a pain to get sealed sometime. Only other thing I can think of is maybe your ps pump or ac thing is going bad hell could be anything the belt spins

Old 12-05-2008, 02:41 PM
APA228
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the fan belt off the engine and run it.
See if the noise is still there.
If it is there is proobably a vacuum leak.
If it isn't look into your clutch fan. I see it is spinning in the video and if the clutch is bad on the fan it will give you a noise similar to what you describe.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:46 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

did you ever try listening with the hose?

Quick Reply: Diagnosing Engine Sound