2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if I had seen that in the photo on their website I would not have ordered them. It looks like crap to me. I just hope that it won't be an issue when I go to have them balanced because of the varying thickness of the rubber in that area.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:22 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you guys checked out laws on re-cap tires?

I know on big rigs the steer tires CAN'T be re-treads they must be new. The rears on the other hand can be re-treads.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Have you guys checked out laws on re-cap tires?

I know on big rigs the steer tires CAN'T be re-treads they must be new. The rears on the other hand can be re-treads.
Can you find the law that says this? I keep looking on the internet and all I ever find is that they are not allowed on the steer axle of buses but legal on everything else.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:29 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
No, I simply expected them to look like the tire in the pictures on their website.

And I find it interesting that you took the time to post this rant, but couldn't be bothered to reply to my 2 PMs to you on the subject before I bought them.
I have not recieved an PM's from you in a very long time.. fyi

Old 02-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Federally, the use of retreads on the Steer axle is only prohibited on Buses and Farm Labor Vehicles (what ever THAT means). Even in Cali you can put retreads on the steer axle, unless it's on your bus. I would wager to guess that most states are going to defer to the federal guidelines when it comes to most motor vehicle idiosyncrasies. Could you imagine the debacle if every state had their their own DOT rules? Every state seems to have their own "little" differences.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Farm Labor Vehicles are the buses and vans used to transport workers to/from the fields.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by iwhitne
I have not recieved an PM's from you in a very long time.. fyi
So, you acknowledge receiving my PMs? Dated 12/3/09, this is the text from the last of two PMs I sent you asking about your tires:

"Hey man, I noticed you have BFG A/Ts on your Dodge. I had them on my Jeep CJ7 and loved them. I'm in need of new tires soon and considering a set of them, but in 33" and load range E they are soooooo expensive. My main concern is wet pavement performance. My V10 is really scary in the wet stuff and I want some improvement. How does your truck handle the wet stuff with those BFGs? Thanks!"

Regardless of how long it has been since I PMed you, you did not respond either time.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:56 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

i have about 5-6/32's left to my 35" procomps and after reading this thread from page 1 all the way through to 15, and looking their website over and over again, i feel as i may be purchasing a set of 305/70/16 backbone MT. although it is a step down in tire size, we all know how much 35-37" tires are new. i think i will wait for spring and give them a shot if i dont see any other negative feedback.

Miami_son...... i put my truck in truck shows ALL the time. how noticeable are those waves in the sidewall at a few foot distance? although it may also bug me abit, i think i can look passed it for the amount of money that will be saved. ill just have to keep some mud on the tires

Old 02-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Weldor
Veteran

So the retreads only last two years and cost half the price, but I've had my BFG all terrians for 4 years and I've heard of lots lasting to 6 with tread left. Why bother with the retreads at all? Sure BFG all terrians cost twice as much new but last 3 times as long, I'd rather stick with new tires. And no offence even the picture off their site looks like ****. Just my opinion.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:21 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can last longer that is just what the warrenty is for

Quick Reply: Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread