2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Weldor
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
They can last longer that is just what the warrenty is for
Ah wasn't 100% sure on that one

Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
Can you find the law that says this? I keep looking on the internet and all I ever find is that they are not allowed on the steer axle of buses but legal on everything else.
I saw it on gears a few weeks ago. I'm trying to dig it up.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:05 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
So, you acknowledge receiving my PMs? Dated 12/3/09, this is the text from the last of two PMs I sent you asking about your tires:

"Hey man, I noticed you have BFG A/Ts on your Dodge. I had them on my Jeep CJ7 and loved them. I'm in need of new tires soon and considering a set of them, but in 33" and load range E they are soooooo expensive. My main concern is wet pavement performance. My V10 is really scary in the wet stuff and I want some improvement. How does your truck handle the wet stuff with those BFGs? Thanks!"

Regardless of how long it has been since I PMed you, you did not respond either time.

I never got that.. but they are awesome in any condition!

Old 02-17-2010, 05:10 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Weldor
Ah wasn't 100% sure on that one
nope, they deffinately last longer, as the OP stated he had 40,000 on his i believe it was, when he posted about it. and still had tread left.

the length of time they last depends on how much you drive, if you drive 60,000 miles a year youll be buying new tires everyyear regardless if they were retreads or not.

also there isnt any law to my knowledge that states retreads cant be used on the steers.

As preveiously stated only buses cant use retreaded tires on the steers.

heres a pdf file i found about tires being used on the steers.
http://www.retread.org/PDF/SteerAxle.pdf

"In most situations, retread tires can be driven under the same conditions and at the same speeds as new tires with no loss in safety or comfort. In fact, retread tires have been safely used on school buses, trucks, cars, fire engines, and other emergency vehicles for years. Retreading tires also helps conserve a valuable nonrenewable resource-oil. Every year, retreading saves more than 400 million gallons of oil in North America. Retread tires also help divert thousands of scrap tires from disposal each year." -directly from the EPA website.
http://www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/tool...tm#productinfo

Old 02-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Well, I just got a very detailed e-mail from Joel Hawkins, company owner, regarding my concerns. He has put my mind at ease as far as the safety factor goes. He said any tire that does not balance properly will be replaced free of charge. Once I got some tire dressing on one of the tires it looked a lot better. Still noticeable, but I can live with it. The mere fact that the owner of the company thought enough of my business after the sale to contact me personally tells me I made a good choice. Try and get Mr. Goodrich to do that.

I just got back from buying new wheels. I really hate taking care of the plain aluminum of my AR Bajas and wanted something different. Really wanted chrome, but not willing (or able) to spend $200+ a wheel for it. Was all set to get these from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Xt...n=PXA8179-6882

Would have been $659 out the door including mounting and balancing, but no center caps or lug nuts. Not thoroughly happy because they look too much like my current wheels. Then I went over to Flip's Tire and Wheel and decided on these instead:
http://www.ultrawheel.com/wheel_deta...brand=1&id=190

Only $548 out the door with caps and new nuts. Couldn't be happier. They have a gloss black finish that is much easier to take care of and the silver rim edge makes them not look like a big black blob on the truck. If they come in tomorrow I will have them put on, otherwise it will have to wait until Monday as I'm racing a Grand Prix this weekend. Oh, and I put my current tires and wheels on Craig's List this morning and already got a buyer for them for $500, so I basically upgraded my wheels for less than $50. Life is good.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:56 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Those Pro Comp wheels would look freaking great on your white truck! I dont know if I like the 2nd set, but it is your truck.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those new rims are sexy...

Old 02-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Those Pro Comp wheels would look freaking great on your white truck! I dont know if I like the 2nd set, but it is your truck.
Either one looks better than what I have now. Shiny wheels don't go well with my monochrome truck that has absolutely no chrome on it. I liked the ProComps, but just couldn't see spending $110 more for wheels that look too much like what I've got (and are very popular around here). The Ultras are a different look.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:25 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Well, I just got a very detailed e-mail from Joel Hawkins, company owner, regarding my concerns. He has put my mind at ease as far as the safety factor goes. He said any tire that does not balance properly will be replaced free of charge. Once I got some tire dressing on one of the tires it looked a lot better. Still noticeable, but I can live with it. The mere fact that the owner of the company thought enough of my business after the sale to contact me personally tells me I made a good choice. Try and get Mr. Goodrich to do that.

I just got back from buying new wheels. I really hate taking care of the plain aluminum of my AR Bajas and wanted something different. Really wanted chrome, but not willing (or able) to spend $200+ a wheel for it. Was all set to get these from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Xt...n=PXA8179-6882

Would have been $659 out the door including mounting and balancing, but no center caps or lug nuts. Not thoroughly happy because they look too much like my current wheels. Then I went over to Flip's Tire and Wheel and decided on these instead:
http://www.ultrawheel.com/wheel_deta...brand=1&id=190

Only $548 out the door with caps and new nuts. Couldn't be happier. They have a gloss black finish that is much easier to take care of and the silver rim edge makes them not look like a big black blob on the truck. If they come in tomorrow I will have them put on, otherwise it will have to wait until Monday as I'm racing a Grand Prix this weekend. Oh, and I put my current tires and wheels on Craig's List this morning and already got a buyer for them for $500, so I basically upgraded my wheels for less than $50. Life is good.
kick ****! I hate to say it but I told ya so! LOL I hope you enjoy thos e tires (an d kick **** rims) and hope they last you many miles!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by iwhitne
kick ****! I hate to say it but I told ya so! LOL I hope you enjoy thos e tires (an d kick **** rims) and hope they last you many miles!
Thanks! And I hope you never hit another deer.

Quick Reply: Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread