2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sagging front bumper fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 06:18 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sagging front bumper fix

Hi all,
I have a '99 ram 1500 with the sport package. I noticed a few weeks ago that my front bumper was sagging a little bit but it wasn't too noticeable so I let it go. Now after an interesting off road incident (I framed the truck in a swamp and when I was pulled out the bottom of the bumper was dragged over the ground) the ends of the bumper are hanging 2-3" from the fenders and it looks horrible. I haven't actaully crawled under the truck to see what I'm up against, but is there some kind of adjustment for this? Do I need to get new brackets or something to bring the bumper back up to where it should be? Any help is appreceated. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:25 PM
ophidia
Captain

Mine was doing the same. I paid a body shop 52 bucks to adjust it when it was in there getting repaired from getting rear-ended :P.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:56 PM
vmann
Veteran

I have the same problem. Ive tried fixing it but have had absolutely no luck. (sig)

Old 12-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Viper37
Banned

It takes 2 people, and a lot of patience. My pops and I did it one night and it took us about an hour. We started on the left side, got it squared, then tied in the left outrigger. Then we did the right bracket and the right outrigger while pushing on it. Pushing REALLY hard.

It got it into place but I would put some kind of compound or something between the brackets to get them sort of "glued" into place, as they have a tend to sag again since the brackets are just sandwiched in there.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:12 PM
vmann
Veteran

i tried duck tape. no luck.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:09 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the bumper is easily adjustable. spray all the bolts with lots of pb-blaster and use a deep well 18mm and loosen them all up very loose. there's a bunch of them. slide things around and get it straight. i used a floor jack on each side to hold it where i wanted, then snug up all the bolts, then tighten them all back up. i repaired some of the plastic clips with jb weld. silicon caulk can also be used to glue the plastic.

same process with the rear.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:40 PM
vmann
Veteran

my rear bumper isnt hanging... it just has some annoying dings in it

Old 12-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional

The bumber bolts up to several diff areas. You have your 2 side brackets but neither of those are really going to hold up your bumber. There are bolts that go thru the actual bumber into the brackets (4 bolts). These bolt holes are all slotted. Then, where the brackets actually bolt to the inside of the frame rail (6 bolts), you can get adjustment from these also in both directions. Up and down and in and out. My advice is to loosen the side brackets, and the bolts from the bumper to bracket and do your adjustment from there. If you dont get any results then move on to the bracket bolts. I just built the bumper on my truck and used the factory brackets to mount it. Hope this helps you guys out.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:32 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Thanks for the help guys. I'll start playing around with it sometime this week and let you know what I find.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:10 PM
vmann
Veteran

ive tried messing with it and its a major pain.

Quick Reply: Sagging front bumper fix