2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

automatic transmission not shifting rpms redline

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:44 PM
bumpndanight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic transmission not shifting rpms redline

hey all first time posting here ... just bought a 94 dodge 1500 automatic with the 5.9... had the transmission rebuilt and just got it back... was driving fine till this morning i changed my plugs and wires... now it takes off like a bat out of hell but it just redlines without shifting... i looked under the transmission and there seems to be a rubber hose attached to a metal line that broke off somewhere and is dangling down... i cannot seem to find where the line broke at its up by my manafold area... is this a vacuum problem? what do i need to do....? i dont upshift or down shift ..... reverse park everything works fine except for it will not shift

Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it back to the place that worked on it last.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:21 PM
itsdaveonline

Originally Posted by MonteC
Take it back to the place that worked on it last.
That will be a fun 20mph cruise at 5000rpm to the tranny shop haha. You'd only need about 90 gallons of fuel to make it there if you dont get run over in the process. Of course he could have another truck and trailer, but i imagine he doesent. Thats probably why he's asking though.

But who knows, it was kinda funny, sorry i wasn't trying to be a dick. It just made me chuckle for a second.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 PM
bumpndanight

they have no problem guaranteeing there work... its just im 400 miles from home for the holidays... i just need to limp back but not at 20 miles an hour.... just for my own curiosity does the transmission use a vacuum line to shift? i can rig something if i just knew if it could be something simple like that... it ran perfect then i took the aircleaner off and swapped out sparkplug wires.... f@cking annoying... i miss my civic

Old 12-31-2008, 09:05 PM
bumpndanight

also since i got it back my drive indicator doesnt line up anymore... when im in park it says in in reverse when im in neutral says drive and so on and so forth...

Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bumpndanight
also since i got it back my drive indicator doesnt line up anymore... when im in park it says in in reverse when im in neutral says drive and so on and so forth...

The linkage is not adjusted properly, but there is also a cable under the steering column with a small white thumb screw you can adjust. But they should have made sure it was right. I guess they didn't notice that when they test drove it.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
That will be a fun 20mph cruise at 5000rpm to the tranny shop haha. You'd only need about 90 gallons of fuel to make it there if you dont get run over in the process. Of course he could have another truck and trailer, but i imagine he doesent. Thats probably why he's asking though.

But who knows, it was kinda funny, sorry i wasn't trying to be a dick. It just made me chuckle for a second.
Dave. Its 2008, tow trucks have been invented for some time now. Not trying to be a dick, i just dont see what was so funny.

Last edited by MonteC; 12-31-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:18 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

they have no problem guaranteeing there work... its just im 400 miles from home for the holidays... i just need to limp back but not at 20 miles an hour.... just for my own curiosity does the transmission use a vacuum line to shift? i can rig something if i just knew if it could be something simple like that... it ran perfect then i took the aircleaner off and swapped out sparkplug wires.... f@cking annoying... i miss my civic

No the transmission does not use a vacuum. There is more than likely something wrong with the governor. Youre going to have to get it back to whoever worked on it last to get this resolved.

You can try adjusting the cable, but i doubt it will help the problem.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i looked under the transmission and there seems to be a rubber hose attached to a metal line that broke off somewhere and is dangling down... i cannot seem to find where the line broke at its up by my manafold area... is this a vacuum problem?
First, do you have a 4WD or 2WD?
Second, is that line closer to the front of back of the transmission?
Reason: when I replaced the transmission and transfer case on my 1996 Dakota 4x4, there was a hose that connected to the top part of the transfer case (which mounts directly behind the transmission) and the other end of the hose connected to a braket near the top of the transmission bellhousing at the back of the engine compartment. This hose's doesn't have a "function" really, and didn't connect to the vacuum system, it's merly a vent line for the transfer case.
I think if you have a 4WD, you might have a transfer case that does have vacuum lines attached to it (in addition to the vent line). However, this shouldn't have an effect on transmission shifting.

Try disonnecting the battery and letting it sit for a little bit (5 minutes, at least). This should reset the computer.
While waiting, crawl under the truck and check the electrical connectors on the transmission and make sure they are tight and secure.
You may also have a transmisison control relay (or some name along those lines), which will be in the power distribution center (the black box under the hood). Try switching that relay with another known-good relay while waiting, as well. I think that only actually controls the overdrive and lock-up torque convertor, but it's worth a shot I guess.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:51 PM
ophidia
Captain

If the "kickdown" cable broke or became disconnected, wouldn't this be what would happen? A long time ago I had an '81 Buick Skylark. It was a total piece of ****, and the kickdown cable broke when I was about 100 miles away from home. It would go to redline in every gear before it would shift. What I did was pull the cable out so it shifted like it were under light throttle, and taped it in place with a ****load of black tape. I'm not sure if this applies in this case, but it was a good story, anyway.

Quick Reply: automatic transmission not shifting rpms redline