2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing Chain replacment

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 12:20 PM
fun4vern
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain replacment

OK be gentle with me. This is my first time posting here. 1999 ram 1500 4x4 auto 5.9 gaser. Getting ready to do the timing chain and plenum fix here in a couple days. Got a couple Questions for the people in the know here.
1. Is there a timing chain tensioner on our engine?
2. Would it be a good idea to change harmonic balancer while have it apart?
3. The double chain is the best. Correct? Or does it matter?
Do not have an unlimited budget so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Have done the plenum on another 2nd gen 5.9 so not worried about that. Been years since I did a timing chain and that was on a Chevy. I just want to make sure I have everything I need so don't have to do a few runs to the auto parts store.
This has probubly been addressed before but I just can't find straight forward answers.
Want to thank ya all in advance for your input.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:36 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fun4vern
1. Is there a timing chain tensioner on our engine?
2. Would it be a good idea to change harmonic balancer while have it apart?
3. The double chain is the best. Correct? Or does it matter?
Welcome to DF.
1- Stock, there isn't one, but they are available if you feel the need.

2- Look at the rubber. If it looks rotted or like it's slipped out of place at all then it needs replacing. Otherwise it's just a question of preventive maintenance.

3- Yes, a double roller is the best choice for replacement. I think Cloyes is the preferred brand, but any reputable offering will work well.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Yeah, the chain tensioner really isn't necessary.

If you current balancer is in decent condition, and the surface the seal rides on isn't grooved, just reinstall it.

Yep, double roller, .25 chain pitch (if they give you a choice....)

Old 12-25-2017, 01:48 PM
fun4vern
Amateur

Thanks guys. Didn't know for sure about the tensioner but if not needed will not use one. Rubber on the balancer doesn't look all that great so will replace.
Also will see about the .25 pitch on the chain.
Again thanks

Old 12-25-2017, 07:32 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

NO
YES
YES

It's a big job. There's lots of tutorials and write-ups that helped me. I replaced all the parts I removed as well as coolant, hoses, pumps, etc. There was some contradictory info about the chain install like how to line it up. I lined up the old chain, then put the new one exactly the same. There's two dots. You want the small one.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:55 PM
fun4vern
Amateur

Thanks ram man. Didn't get parts in yet so guess will be a next weekend job. That will give me more time to watch videos. LOL
Got steering gear box though so will tackle that tomorrow.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:39 PM
Ramman18
Champion

When I did it, I had to hit up Advance, Napa, and Autozone to get everything. It was a big job for me. Never torn open an engine before. Don't forget sealers, gasket makers, cleaners, towels, coolant, pullers (jaw for 5.9), and instructions. I also made a template for all the cover bolts since they're different and I still got confused putting them back on.

Pro tip: get Cloyes double roller with no tensioner
Pro tip: good time to flush the heater core/replace hoses and pump
Pro tip: when installing the pump heater tube, set the tube in and hook it on the bolt first, then tighten. If inserted before the bolt, it won't be tight.
Pro tip: don't remove the AC; just turn it upside down on the fender with hoses connected
Pro tip: have cheaters, crow bars, long wrenches, odd tools, etc. handy. My Dad had lots of semi tools to borrow that were a definite need.
Pro tip: after you drain oil, remove the first couple pan bolts and loosen the rest. It will help get the cover in above the pan gasket.
Pro tip: hope you know some tricks or can ask someone. My Dad (old trucker and mechanic) had several good hacks to get me through. Nothing like old school real knowledge that videos or instructions never have.

It's been a year and a half so I don't remember everything. This job may have given more life to my engine (228k) but the reports of newly found power or mileage are folly. It did quiet down the engine. And the videos that show all the "slack" in the old chain are selling snake oil. Once the new chain was on, it had the same slack. It's normal. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2017, 07:42 PM
Ramman18
Champion

And I had to do my Redhead gear swap twice so if you need any help, hit me up.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:58 AM
fun4vern
Amateur

Raman
Appreciate all the tips. Unfortunately, LOL, been turning wrenchs for round 40 years. everything form diesel to jets. But after a few years of not doing timing chain or such and on different make vehicle and the abundence of knowledge on this site I figured I would toss the question out there. AND quess what!! Even this old dog learned some new stuff. LOL
Thanks all for the ideas and tricks, greatly appreciated.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:33 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by fun4vern
Raman
Appreciate all the tips. FORTUNATELY, LOL, been turning wrenchs for round 40 years. everything form diesel to jets. But after a few years of not doing timing chain or such and on different make vehicle and the abundence of knowledge on this site I figured I would toss the question out there. AND quess what!! Even this old dog learned some new stuff. LOL
Thanks all for the ideas and tricks, greatly appreciated.
Fixed it for ya! Let us know what you think of the job.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain replacment