2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

408 stroker ram project

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:26 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think those eddie heads are overkill for 408, but that cam spec doesn't make any sense.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:49 PM
szarin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my bad... the lobe seperation is 112

Old 06-10-2009, 01:07 AM
jbomb
Veteran

Talk about a thread Jack!!! LOL Hey you want less lobe seperation the better and the biggest thing for a stroker motor is DURATION. Lots! The stock tranny if rebuild correctly and will adequete cooling will handle twicke that hp.

Hey so I tried using a slightly used ring and pinion- cant get a wear pattern that is consistant enough to make me confident leaving it in my truck. So I bought a new set frome motive. I also bought some flowtech raptor turabo mufflers. Yes I want it quiet. And I bought an x pipe kit. So here are some pics of the porgress(or lack of) We had to file fit our non-file fit top rings because of the hypertectic piston. Oh well.

Oil ring can be a pain in the butt.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 PM
szarin
Rookie

hehe, sorry about jacking the thread, i posted somewhere else and they linked me to our original thread heh.

Getting back on track, im bringing the engine to my shop today. I figured id have them put the rotating rotating assembly into the block after they bore it so i dont run into problems with the rings. Im also gonna have them double check the cylinder head springs. Make sure they are correct.

I'm currently looking for decent rocker arms and push rods.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:36 PM
jbomb
Veteran

Well the rod clearance is a little on the tight side according to the plastagage so I will be getting a dial bore gage from my bros machine shop tomorrow to double check before we start polishing the crank journals. So we were dead in the water today. I started to port match the intacke today, and the heads will be soon to follow. On the positve side I recieved my cam today! Will post some pics soon but it will be kind of slow(left my brand new camera on the back of the truck and took off). Talking with krc performance about my setup(where I bought my cam and programmer) sounds like I will be in the 340-350 rwhp range!!!!!!!!!! and that is with the mild cam! He said that you loose 22-30% from a flywheel rating to a rear wheel rating which means that I should be making 460 hp at the crank!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 AM
szarin
Rookie

nice work!

i dropped off my engine at the engine shop today, i also swung by the performance place too... that was a mistake... spent more money lol!

Because i bought the Performer Cylinder heads, i had more choices when it came to rocker arms. i bought PSP Rocker arms, they are almost an exact match to Scorpion Rocker arms. I also picked up one piece push rods by Comp Cams.

I was gonna put most of it back together myself, however with all the changes ive made, i think i will let the engine shop do it. That way, if there is a problem, they can deal with it. It would be a different story if it was just stock pieces.

Once my truck is done, i have a place i can put it on a dyno to get the HP/Torque #'s. Everyone keeps saying i will be around 400 HP at the rear wheels... But ive been around trucks/cars long enough to know that everyone talks smack until its on the dyno heh.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:59 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

eh all this talk of a stroker motor makes me horny, and im too broke as it is, and i still have to pay for college

Old 06-14-2009, 02:16 AM
engineblock
Veteran

what is the basic horsepower from a 408

Old 06-14-2009, 11:32 AM
busaguy05
Professional

Originally Posted by szarin
nice work!

i dropped off my engine at the engine shop today, i also swung by the performance place too... that was a mistake... spent more money lol!

Because i bought the Performer Cylinder heads, i had more choices when it came to rocker arms. i bought PSP Rocker arms, they are almost an exact match to Scorpion Rocker arms. I also picked up one piece push rods by Comp Cams.

I was gonna put most of it back together myself, however with all the changes ive made, i think i will let the engine shop do it. That way, if there is a problem, they can deal with it. It would be a different story if it was just stock pieces.

Once my truck is done, i have a place i can put it on a dyno to get the HP/Torque #'s. Everyone keeps saying i will be around 400 HP at the rear wheels... But ive been around trucks/cars long enough to know that everyone talks smack until its on the dyno heh.
How do you know the push rod are the right ones for the motor? By decking the block and/ or changing the thickness of the head gasket will effect the length of the push rod as well the eddy heads could too. I wouldn't get to crazy with the push rods yet, you might be taking them back lol

Old 06-14-2009, 05:26 PM
jbomb
Veteran

well we just finished my tracklok rearend today! and some of the pistons are in. feels nice to set the truck down on the tires again.

Quick Reply: 408 stroker ram project