2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NOOB in need of HELP

Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Illcochy58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile NOOB in need of HELP

Hi I'm new to the forum and in need of just a bit of advice or info?
I have a 01 Dodge Ram 1500. The 360 motor with a 3 speed overdrive transmission. 4 Wheel Drive . Well I was just wondering if there where any cheap or free mods I could do to this set up to gain a little more power, maybe a little more economy. But I didn't buy this truck for the economy but any little bit helps. Right? Any suggestions will be helpfull.

Also any non cheap or free mods would be nice also. Can never have enough knowledge about something.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:52 AM
97black_ram
Captain

Originally Posted by Illcochy58
Hi I'm new to the forum and in need of just a bit of advice or info?
I have a 01 Dodge Ram 1500. The 360 motor with a 3 speed overdrive transmission. 4 Wheel Drive . Well I was just wondering if there where any cheap or free mods I could do to this set up to gain a little more power, maybe a little more economy. But I didn't buy this truck for the economy but any little bit helps. Right? Any suggestions will be helpfull.

Also any non cheap or free mods would be nice also. Can never have enough knowledge about something.
Welcome. The Search feature is an awesome tool. I suggest giving a try.

Well there's no limit to the mods you can do if you have the money. But these trucks average 10-14 mpg.

Here's a few I can think of:

Fastman TB
Harland 1.7 roller rockers
Hughes plenum kit
kegger mod
14x3 air hat

I realize you said cheap or free but those words don't work for dodge.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

There are two "cheap" and "free" mods you can try. Look up CPS mod and Relocate the IAT sensor.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 AM
97black_ram
Captain

Originally Posted by ICEMAN_CH
There are two "cheap" and "free" mods you can try. Look up CPS mod and Relocate the IAT sensor.
CPS - Crank Position Sensor
IAT - ???

Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

CPS.

Notch the cps so that you can slide it towards the oil filter. This will advance ingintion timing.

Overall a sound mod that can increase performance. The problem with this mod is that it can be difficult to do because the sensor is hard to reach and you could cause detonation especially if you have a death flash that might be covering up problems with your motor.

IAT.

Take the IAT sensor (Incoming air Temperture) out of the intake and put a brass plug in its place. Then drill a hole that plastic tube that goes into the air hat and insert the sensor there. Make sure to use planty of silicon to keep it in place.

I'm not sure what if any benfits this mod has. To me it seems the same as putting a resitor across the IAT. Whats happening is that the sensor tell the computer what the tempurture of the air coming into the motor is. When it's colder the computer will richen the mixture. I could see this helping if you have a pinging problem and may be give you a slight increase in performance but you might be giving up some fuel economy here.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 PM
97black_ram
Captain

Take the IAT sensor (Incoming air Temperture) out of the intake and put a brass plug in its place. Then drill a hole that plastic tube that goes into the air hat and insert the sensor there. Make sure to use planty of silicon to keep it in place.

I'm not sure what if any benfits this mod has. To me it seems the same as putting a resitor across the IAT. Whats happening is that the sensor tell the computer what the tempurture of the air coming into the motor is. When it's colder the computer will richen the mixture. I could see this helping if you have a pinging problem and may be give you a slight increase in performance but you might be giving up some fuel economy here.
Wouldn't the PCM eventually correct the air/fuel ratio by information feed from the O2 sensors?

Otherwise I might try this, it would give me a little more power during towing.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:31 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had good time with this one, if you have the tools it's free!!!
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...or-man-tb.html

Old 05-13-2009, 12:39 PM
97black_ram
Captain

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
i had good time with this one, if you have the tools it's free!!!
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...or-man-tb.html
I want to do this but I want to buy a spare TB just in case. Right now my trucks runs awesome since I sprayed down the TB with a can of Carb cleaner. Better throttle response

Old 05-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

CPS.

Notch the cps so that you can slide it towards the oil filter. This will advance ingintion timing.

Overall a sound mod that can increase performance. The problem with this mod is that it can be difficult to do because the sensor is hard to reach and you could cause detonation especially if you have a death flash that might be covering up problems with your motor.

IAT.

FYI, IAT stands for Intake manifold Air Temperature per the Chrysler service manual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NOOB in need of HELP