2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Trey318
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my parts in. Also have some Valvoline synthetic ATF+4, a gasket, and a filter. I've got a lot planned for my truck this weekend with this tranny work, like painting/servicing my rear end and rear brakes, as well as dropping my truck. So this is gonna be a nice busy weekend

Old 07-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Trey318
Captain

Went ahead and took care of it. That fluid was nasty! It was full of clutch material. The filter was very well clogged. I got the governor sensor and solenoid off with no problems. Upon inspection, the sensor's (I think) filter screen was completely coated in clutch debris so I'm sure that was what was causing it to malfunction. So it got a nice fresh filter and some fresh fluid and even a bit over a quart low, it still shifted sooo much better.

I think the reason the clutch material was all over the place has to do with a lack of cleaning by the transmission shop (the tranny was rebuilt at most 10k ago) and when I bought the truck 5k ago, the owners grandpa tried to get it unstuck from his yard and kept flooring it back in forth from D to R.

Hopefully this has fixed the problem. When I test drove it, I only got to go around the block, so I'll take it on the highway tomorrow to verify with a little more fluid. Thanks again for all the input everyone. If I get around to it, I'll post some pics of that filter and sensor tomorrow.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:33 PM
notanexit7
Captain

umm, i didn't want to make a new transmission thread so i guess i'll just ask my question in this one. my transmission has 240k miles on it. never had any problems and it shifts just as good as the day i bought it. about 2 years ago i had the tranny serviced and i found out that they put the wrong tranny fluid in it. should i get it serviced again with the right transmission fluid even though i'm not having problems? I'm afraid that it's too old to do anything to but i really dont want it going out on me.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Absolutely! I would suggest a tranny flush to get all the wrong fluid out before it does some permanent damage. Make sure they put in ATF+4 this time.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:21 PM
notanexit7
Captain

alrighty...would it hurt to ask them to adjust the bands as well or is that something the tranny shop does anyway?

Old 07-26-2009, 02:07 AM
xray99
Banned

I'd go with the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" in this case.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by xray99
I'd go with the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" in this case.
No, that wouldn't be a good idea. For more pointers on tranny problems read allpar.com and look at the tranny section. These transmissions may work fine for a while with the wrongs fluids, but if they put Mercon fluid in it for example, it will work for a few years maybe, but the repairs will be much worse when it breaks.

As for adjusting the bands, I would ask the shop if it's included or not. That is one thing that if it is shifting correctly I would leave alone. I haven't adjusted mine because it shifts just fine, so it obviously needs no messing with. Mine is also a low mileage vehicle. If your tranny has many miles on it, an adjustment may be in line.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:57 PM
xray99
Banned

A truck with a trans running great for years at 240K, I sure as hell would not tinker with it, thats my opinion, and thats what I suggest.
Hes free to follow whichever course he sees fit.

"Work for a few years maybe" - 3 years sounds good to me for a high mileage 2nd gen Ram, you saying you're going to double or triple triple that with the right fluid ?

Most everyone here knows that using the right fluid is usually critical, this is not the average case.
I repeat, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Last edited by xray99; 07-26-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

I went back and reread the post. For some reason I thought the fluid change had been more recent than 2 years. For that long then it probably makes no difference. At 240K that tranny will probably go out soon on it's own anyway. I'm surprised that tranny has actually lasted that long without a rebuild. If they did a drain and fill maybe the fluids just got diluted and made no difference, or maybe they used an universal fluid so either way you may be OK.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:32 PM
notanexit7
Captain

actually to be honest, i'm not even sure if its a 46re i've got in there. when i bought the truck brand new back in 99 they took out the transmission and put a different one in but my mind eludes me when i try and think of what the service guy told me they had done. and its 225k not 240, sorry i got mixed up with another vehicle.

Quick Reply: Transmission acting funny