2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

To all those with dash caps...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:02 AM
moze229
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all those with dash caps...

2001 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab

Well, I got my dash cap and installed it this weekend. I'm going to have to redo it because of some fitment problems on the passenger side. I bought it from dashcoversplus.com and it's a pretty good match pattern-wise. Manufactured by Accuform plastics (I think it's the same one JC Whitney sells). It's a little off on fit, but the texture is right on. I was told that the color "Agate" was an exact match when I ordered it. Well, it's actually not but I suppose it's close enough. I sent an e-mail explaining this to them and they haven't responded yet. You know, you buy these things and they aren't going to take it back anyway. If I had to do it again I'd go with the Palco one from another vender. Dashcoversplus.com also has some highway robbery going on with their shipping. Even though the cover is priced at only $99.00, there is a $48.00 "special handling" fee at the checkout. So, it comes to the average going price when it's all said and done. On to my questions...

1.) So, the area around the passenger airbag looks crappy. Is there a way to remove the airbag cover safely? And if so - how? The reason I ask is because if could get the cover off, install the dash cap, then get the airbag cover back on it would look 100% better. There is a lip that fits around the airbag cover and I cannot get it to seat properly. I suppose I could trim the dash cap, but I'd rather do the other if I could.

2.) There is also a lip that fits around the original dash over the instrument cluster. It's preventing me from getting my bezel to seat properly. Has anyone else run into this? The bezel will not seat all the way, and there is about 1/8" - 1/4" gap. Again, another area where I could trim the dash cap, but I'd rather do something else if possible.

I suppose I'll be doing some small trimming and sanding to get it to fit the way that I like. Thanks for any suggestions.

Side note - I also purchased the cluster bezel cover made by the same company - complete waste of time. It doesn't fit at all - way too small and they aren't taking it back. So don't waste your time with this one. Now my cluster bezel is almost obliterated from taking it on and off trying to fix it. I should have just left the dam* thing alone. My dash only had two cracks in it, and the bezel one small one. Now the bezel is almost unusable. The rest of my truck is immaculate because that's just how I am. I bought the thing brand new and it looks just like it did when I bought it except for Dodge's piece of sh** dash plastic. It pi$$e$ me off every time I get in it.

Matt

Old 06-30-2009, 12:31 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for the post. sorry its not working out. before you cut up the new one - i think i'd return it telling them "it doesn't fit right and looks like crap and for $150 its unsatisfactory". if they won't allow the return, call your credit card company and dispute the charges.

mine's cracked and i've been procrastinating on whether to buy a cap or the damn $400 full dash from the dealer.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:52 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

I sure do wish i could find out who made my dash cap so i could tell you guys. Cause mine looks A+++++.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:00 AM
Rebhays27
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
thanks for the post. sorry its not working out. before you cut up the new one - i think i'd return it telling them "it doesn't fit right and looks like crap and for $150 its unsatisfactory". if they won't allow the return, call your credit card company and dispute the charges.

mine's cracked and i've been procrastinating on whether to buy a cap or the damn $400 full dash from the dealer.
+1 on calling the credit card company. Even if you used a debit card if it has the visa or M/C symbol on it your protected under their policy. My bank told a company I was disputing if they wanted to maintain their status with VIsa they had to honor my request for a refund. especially if it was due to no fault on your part. If it doesn't fit it wasn't your fault. Good Luck
Would be definately interested is seeing photos of your cap I'm thinking of getting one myself from either JC Whitney or someone.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can take your airbag out after you have the battery unplugged for a little bit so it won't pop in your face. open the glove box, squeeze the sides so it can come forward then lift it up and set it aside, the plastic that goes around the latch for the glove box is covering up some bolts for the airbag and the bottom of the bag has a couple also. there is a yellow plug that goes to the airbag, unplug it then take the bolts out and pull it straight back and out.

i had the same fitment issue above the cluster, i think a little sanding on the original dash would make it fit between the bezel and the dash.

i had to get mine when i did the heater core because i knew there was no way the busted pieces would stay together when i took them off and sure enough when i started digging into it they snapped off like doritos. i got an ebay cover for mine and it fits really well, it'd look better if i'd stick it to the dash but i just have it sitting on top. it isn't tight against the airbag and the part on the right side of the far right vent is sitting just off the original dash but it still looks a whole lot better than the puzzle pieces i had there originally. i left the cover black too, i like the fact that there is no glare with black.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 07-14-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:43 PM
moze229
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rebhays27
Would be definately interested is seeing photos of your cap I'm thinking of getting one myself from either JC Whitney or someone.
I'll have some pictures as soon as I have it looking presentable.

Matt

Old 06-30-2009, 03:44 PM
moze229
Rookie

Originally Posted by DODGEPWR
I sure do wish i could find out who made my dash cap so i could tell you guys. Cause mine looks A+++++.
Let's see it! Where are the photos??? !!!

Matt

Old 06-30-2009, 03:47 PM
moze229
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
you can take your airbag out after you have the battery unplugged for a little bit so it won't pop in your face. open the glove box, squeeze the sides so it can come forward then lift it up and set it aside, the plastic that goes around the latch for the glove box is covering up some bolts for the airbag and the bottom of the bag has a couple also. there is a yellow plug that goes to the airbag, unplug it then take the bolts out and pull it straight back and out.
That's strange - I figured the plastic part would just be a cover, but it's actually part of the airbag itself? Wow. Well, I'll make sure and unplug the battery before I do anything with it. It may be a few days before I can mess with it again because I have "hubandly" duties to do right now. Thanks for the info!

Matt

Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by moze229
because I have "hubandly" duties to do right now.
Matt
sex ?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
sex ?
he said husbandly, not boyfriendly lol...

Quick Reply: To all those with dash caps...