2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Trey318
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progress

My dad and I started tearin into the truck over the weekend. Rain kinda held us back a bit, but we got the rear end ripped out.

It was pretty nasty but I got it sanded down. My dad just finished fabbing up some drop shackles, and we already notched the holes on the stock hangers so we can flip those.

With the jackstands underneath the frame, it gives the truck a pretty mean rake.

Anyway, we're getting the rear end painted tonight and hopefully tomorrow we'll stab it back in. While I had some spare time, I recharged my K&N and looked down the intake, I think I found a little more oil than should be in there. I also noticed the tip of the exhaust looks a little funny.

Looks like its been running rich. Think this could be a plenum leak? My dad test drove it before we pulled the rear end and said it didn't hardly have any power. I definitely agree when I compare it to how peppy my mom's Expedition is with the 5.4, so I wouldn't doubt the plenum gasket is shot. The truck does have 238k on it..

Hopefully, the drop should be finished in the next few days. I got my drop springs from Chassistech and some Nitro Drop Shocks. Those are all painted and waiting to be installed as well. Check back for some installed pics

Old 07-21-2009, 03:38 PM
torp74
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good Trey, keep up the good work!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:38 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

trey your truck looks perfect i would say it is the plenum cus i have the same problem and my exhaust looks the same that just my 2 cents tho keep up the good work!!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:32 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

There should be no oil on the bottom of the intake pan. Sounds to me like the plenum gasket is shot.

The paint looks great on that thing! Nice color. Why so much over-spray though?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ I was thinking the same thing, but in all actuality, it's kinda hard to keep it from happening unless you spend a good sized chunk of time making things off.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
^ I was thinking the same thing, but in all actuality, it's kinda hard to keep it from happening unless you spend a good sized chunk of time making things off.

Thats the thing though, if I was spraying a wheeler or a beater then it would be fine, but with a truck that nice and paint that looked that good, the over-spray would kill me.

I am guessing he plans on repainting under the truck anyway.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
Thats the thing though, if I was spraying a wheeler or a beater then it would be fine, but with a truck that nice and paint that looked that good, the over-spray would kill me.

I am guessing he plans on repainting under the truck anyway.
Oh, I hear ya. I'm not sticking up for him.

I don't think it would look too bad once the wheel liners we reinstalled.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Trey318
Captain

You caught me guys. Don't worry, I spent a couple hours today wetsanding the majority off. I'm gonna come back and spray the frame and whatnot tomorrow. All the exhaust, brake lines, and gas tank cleaned up just fine with some soapy water and a scotch brite pad. I used 220 Wet or Dry on the frame sections and inner fenders.

It was really hard to prevent the overspray underneath the truck. My dad was spraying with the front door closed and the back door open, but the wind was blowing against him and kept most of the overspray inside the shop. It got everywhere where there wasn't tape, but most of those places needed to be touched up anyway. The color is Viper Red, but a Ford Laser Red midcoat was shot over that, then a coat of pearl. It really stands out and doesn't look as orange as most Viper Red vehicles.

My truck didn't actually come with rear fender liners. I thought those only came on the 4wd?

Yea, I really figured it was a plenum leak when I looked down the throttle body. It was wet enough that I could see the reflection of the flashlight and it had that puddle-like effect to it. I'm going to verify with my dad's vacuum gauge. I guess the cat is next on the list too then >.<.

Anyways thanks for the compliments

Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, those liners did come on the 4x4s but us 2xs have the holes to install them and clean up our look.......as for your drop, youre extending your shackles 2" and then filpping your hanger? youre just notching your hanger holes instead of drilling new ones?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Trey318
Captain

Actually we're extending the shackles 3-3/4". We beat the hell out of the hanger for the top bolts and got them in spec, then notched the bottom holes like 1/4" each.

Quick Reply: Progress