2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gah! I think maybe my engine is getting to much air!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 PM
terranova
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gah! I think maybe my engine is getting to much air!

Since I got my 14x3 in I've been noticing when I floor it the engine starts to bog sometimes and I'm wondering if maybe my engine is getting to much air and not enough fuel now.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:03 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont think you have too much air , you have any exhaust , to make power a motor needs to breathe and be able to expell the gasses

Old 07-24-2009, 12:08 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

It is probably more air then the stock computer program knows how to deal with immediately. Thats what I've always been told is the reason for the initial "bog down".

With my SC 3815, I have very little bog down now initially. With the stock program, I have more.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:21 AM
cool hand luke
Rookie

when does it bog down? only on take off? ive known these magnums to perform decently even with stock exhaust set ups. i think jasonw might be right. but it could also be a fuel delivery problem or a bad sensor, either tps or iat.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:46 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

test the map?.... and let the computer relearn

***maybe zman17 say sum thing he didn't like the 14x3 intill the 1.7rr

Old 07-24-2009, 12:54 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I have replaced the IAC, MAP, and TPS. No change.

And its not so much a "bog down", thats to strong a word. I think he (and I) are just referring to the very slight hesitation when you hit the gas. After an air intake upgrade, "modded kegger" or CAI or 14x3, it hesitated a little more for me. Now that I have the SC, I only notice it when its cold in the morning.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An engine can not draw in too much air. Intake is related to piston displacement. As the pistons move down they draw in as much air as the valve openings will allow, but it can't be more than the volume of the cylinder no matter how unrestricted your intake is. If you have a '96-up truck then a lean condition would be corrected for by the upstream 02 sensor, so theoretically there is no way to be sucking too much air into a properly operating engine. Now, if you free up the intake, but the exhaust is not equally as free flowing, then you can have an imbalance that hurts performance. But it would have to be quite an imbalance to make a noticeable drop. The bog is more likely related to some other aspect being out of whack. As was said, make sure fuel delivery is not impeded and that there are no vacuum leaks. Because of the vacuum pressure drop when rapidly opening the throttle, even a small leak can cause hesitation and/or stumble. Weak, dirty or clogged injectors can also cause these symptoms. Oening up the intake with a free-flowing air cleaner would not cause these problems, but could make them more pronounced.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:19 AM
cool hand luke
Rookie

part of the problem with opening up the intake and leaving the exhaust un modified is that when the intake is made to flow more freely it moves the power range up in the rpm scale. so that means jumping on the throttle from an idle will not produce rapid acceleration. drag racers have the same problem which is why the rev the motor at the line to get the rpms close to the power range from the start. its a trade off. thats why towing motors have suprisingly restrictive intakes and exhausts with such large motors. the restrictive intakes increase air velocity at lower rpms. therefore causing the car to pull harder sooner, but not higher in the rpm range

Old 07-24-2009, 01:22 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
An engine can not draw in too much air. Intake is related to piston displacement. As the pistons move down they draw in as much air as the valve openings will allow, but it can't be more than the volume of the cylinder no matter how unrestricted your intake is. If you have a '96-up truck then a lean condition would be corrected for by the upstream 02 sensor, so theoretically there is no way to be sucking too much air into a properly operating engine. Now, if you free up the intake, but the exhaust is not equally as free flowing, then you can have an imbalance that hurts performance. But it would have to be quite an imbalance to make a noticeable drop. The bog is more likely related to some other aspect being out of whack. As was said, make sure fuel delivery is not impeded and that there are no vacuum leaks. Because of the vacuum pressure drop when rapidly opening the throttle, even a small leak can cause hesitation and/or stumble. Weak, dirty or clogged injectors can also cause these symptoms. Oening up the intake with a free-flowing air cleaner would not cause these problems, but could make them more pronounced.
Those are all good points, but I must disagree with the O2 sensor correcting a lean condition. For constant running or partial throttle, the O2 sensor would at least help correct a lean condition, but not at WOT. IIRC, the upstream O2 sensor(s) are ignored when at WOT.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 AM
cool hand luke
Rookie

maybe you should get it smoke tested. it couldnt hurt. i know magnums tend to have trippy vacuum problems. but almost every engine i have ever worked on will lug if you stomp on the throttle from a dead stop or from a cruising speed. its just too much load on the motor. try rolling into it.

Quick Reply: Gah! I think maybe my engine is getting to much air!