2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disassembling the steering wheel ('98+)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:30 PM
audiomechanic
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disassembling the steering wheel ('98+)

Anyone know how to disassemble the steering wheel on a '98+ Ram to get to the clock spring? I've got a wicked squeak coming from the steering wheel and it's driving me insane. I'm betting it's that spring as it sounds like a squeak a rotating spring would make.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you need to remove the steering wheel to remove the clockspring. It's located behind the turn signal switch. You should be able to get to it by taking the shroud off the steering column. I also doubt that is the source of your squeak.

EDIT: I take it back, you do have to remove the wheel and airbag to get the clockspring out.

Last edited by Miami_Son; 08-05-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Look in the FSM. Duh!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 AM
audiomechanic
Captain

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
I don't think you need to remove the steering wheel to remove the clockspring. It's located behind the turn signal switch. You should be able to get to it by taking the shroud off the steering column. I also doubt that is the source of your squeak.

EDIT: I take it back, you do have to remove the wheel and airbag to get the clockspring out.
The squeak I am hearing is seemingly located directly behind the center of the steering wheel. It squeaks primarily when driving over bumps with the wheel straight or up to 3/4 of a turn in either direction. Even the slight shutter of the engine idling at a stop causes the squeak. It's very loud and can be heard over music, talking highway noise, etc. It does not matter whether or not I'm touching the wheel or if I put pressure on the wheel in any direction. The reason I believe it to be a spring is because the squeak "tightens up" as I turn the wheel farther in either direction and stops completely when I turn the wheel passed 3/4 of a turn in either direction.

It is seriously driving me insane because I can hear it no matter what I do. I really need to fix this because it makes me not want to drive my truck.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 AM
audiomechanic
Captain

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Look in the FSM. Duh!
Don't have one. Got a link?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...tmas-guys.html

If you have a minute, open your hood and grab the column where it comes out of the firewall, and see if it has any play. And when you hold of the steering wheel can you pull it in and out?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by audiomechanic
Anyone know how to disassemble the steering wheel on a '98+ Ram to get to the clock spring?
with a motorcycle helmet on to protect your dome in case the bag pops up to say hello.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:50 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't go tearing into it without the manual and disconnecting the neg, battery cable.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM
audiomechanic
Captain

Originally Posted by zman17
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...tmas-guys.html

If you have a minute, open your hood and grab the column where it comes out of the firewall, and see if it has any play. And when you hold of the steering wheel can you pull it in and out?
Hey, thanks!

I've checked the column and it's tight. The shaft does move in and out of the column smoothly and without noise when it is disconnected from the steering gear (I disconnected it a shile back to adjust the thrust washer). The noise is literally coming from the wheel. I have gotten down on the floor and listened for the noise in case it is coming from the shaft and "traveling" up the column, but it's not. The squeak cannot be heard under the hood, under the dash, or even under the column covers directly behind the wheel. It's literally coming from the wheel itself.

I'm going to check out that manual and, I'll be disconnecting the battery before disessembling the wheel. Bag can't deply without power....I hope.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:58 AM
audiomechanic
Captain

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
with a motorcycle helmet on to protect your dome in case the bag pops up to say hello.
I do have a full face helmet.....

Quick Reply: Disassembling the steering wheel ('98+)