2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fog light mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:17 PM
palerider9999
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In some states you are only permitted to have no more than 4 forward facing lights turned on. Still dumb to me. My 98 has 2 fog light relays and the DIY didn't work for mine.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In CA, any lights other than the stock headlights or a set of foglights must be covered while the vehicle is operated on the road. You can be ticketed even if they aren't operational.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:35 PM
RamMan4x4
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
you don't have any oncoming traffic when your high beams are on. that's what i don't get. when there is no one else around it should be all systems go with the lights on the front. that's how it is for me, those lights in my brush guard aren't just for show.
For even more lighting...we need to figure out how to run high and low beams at the same time. You get a brief glimpse of this every time you switch high to low or vice-versa. Or you can keep it there for a short while by holding the switch inbetween high and low (all four stay on as long as you hold the switch...my only concern is the temperature inside the headlight if it was made permanent.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by palerider9999
My 98 has 2 fog light relays and the DIY didn't work for mine.
My 97 is the same way. Would it work if both relays were jumped?

...my only concern is the temperature inside the headlight if it was made permanent.
I'd also be worried about the power draw through the stock wiring.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

All vehicles have the high beam killed if the fogs are on, it's probably a Federal requirement. Since mine are after market I don't have the problem, but I haven't been out in the boonies in a while so I haven't had a chance to need both. A few years ago we went to the Grand Canyon and was caught making my way back to Flagstaff at night, and it gets so dark out there, it looks like you are driving in a black hole. I didn't have my fogs at that time, and the high beam was barely enough to see the road.

As for temp, I agree that would probably get hot. My after market fogs get so hot, I don't use them unless I know I will be moving (Freeway only, not city driving). I don't want to chance them melting the plastic housing in the bumper.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
In CA, any lights other than the stock headlights or a set of foglights must be covered while the vehicle is operated on the road. You can be ticketed even if they aren't operational.
that sounds like the guy that got a ticket for his extra reverse lights because they didn't turn on when he put it in reverse. i believe he was in CA too.

sorry to hear the diy didn't work for y'all. try pulling one relay and see if you only have one fog light turned on. if that's the case then i don't see why it would hurt to jump them both. keep in mind that I'm not an electrical guru, I'm just passing on what I've seen two other guys post before and that it worked for me with my 2000 ram. so don't risk burning anything up if you're not sure about what you are doing.

i looked at the relay in my center console this morning and saw that the jumper wire closes the circuit between the 30 and the 87 connections. the 30 and 87 are an open circuit until you energize the 86 connection. so what this jumper does is make the 30 (from battery) and the 87 (goes to the lights) a closed circuit all the time. so when you turn on the fog light switch it puts power to the lights the whole time the switch is activated. i don't see how this would hurt anything because when you have the fog lights turned on the 30/87 are connected. i believe the only reason for the relay is to deactivate the lights when the high beams are turned on.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:24 PM
95 Jamin Ram
Professional

Wondering if there's any way to do this for my 95 it came with stock fog lights that look like projectors. When i go under the hood there is no relay just a fuse. Mabe the switch under the dash has to do with it cause its a pretty big switch

Old 08-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sheriff, just FYI, just because an admin posts a DIY doesn't mean it's the safest thing to do. That's the reason why this forum has a DIY disclaimer.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well i've come across this a couple times before from different people and it works so i'm just sharing what i did because more light on the road is nice.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Oren09
Veteran

True. My fog light bulbs are burned out right now. Taking my time buying new H3 bulbs. Then I'll experiment with the relay jumping in my 97. It's not that big of a deal because I want to get large driving lights (Hellas or equiv) to mount on my push guard. Need lots of lights at night around here in the mountains.

Quick Reply: Fog light mod