2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Loss of Power on Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:24 PM
KRG56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of Power on Acceleration

1995 Dodge Ram 1500 1/2 ton 2WD 5.2L

Experiencing continued LOSS OF POWER when accelerating, after driving 50 miles, driving above 50mph, and if gas tank less than 1/4 full.

Replaced: Air Filter, EGR Valve, Check Valve from AC/Cruise Control (was broken) and still have challenges.

Today will be checking for Fouled Plugs, Replace Front Fuel Filter, and will also recheck OBD codes.

Found Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 14-04-97) Lack of Power on Acceleration And/Or Long Crank Time in Cold Ambient Temperatures

QUESTION: How can I tell if the vehicle is equipped with: COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS (CNG) FUEL SYSTEM? (Or is it the year/make/model is equipped all across the board)

QUESTION: Do you have any ideas why would still have continous LOSS of Power on Acceleration after above fixes to EGR?

NOTE: Dealer has ordered the parts to do the VAPOR CANISTER/PURGE SOL recall, but since Chrysler is in bankruptcy, they are not sure how long it will take, so not sure if the PURGE SOL could or may not be the problem.

Also recalls not performed as of yet are: IGNITION SWITCH WIRING , FUEL TANK,STEERING SHAFT

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer!

Old 08-25-2009, 04:00 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a few things that will cause that. One is a plugged CAT and the other is plugged fuel injectors. Both cause the same feeling of slower and slower and slower. I don't think that it's your CAT since you mentioned the fuel tank as having influence. A bad CAT would be intermittent when going and always cause sluggishness when totally plugged.

It could be injectors but, when they get to the point of totally restricted, your truck would not run well even at idle.

Now, there's also fuel pressure. Since you mention ONLY when the fuel tank is low it occurs, it makes me question the fuel supply and how well your pump is delivering the fuel. Low pressure delivery to the rails>to the injectors equals less fuel to generate power equals less hp. However, the pressure is not affected by the amount of fuel in the tank so, I am not seeing the connection with a low level tank.

If anything, it should perform better due to less weight! Not the other way around.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:02 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

To determine if your running CNG well, you would not be using regular gas for one and two, there's an engine code for that. It distinguishes between the two. It is also part of your VIN.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:06 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Sounds like you have a damaged fuel line inside the tank and that you are drawing air into the fuel system which is not producing enough fuel pressure or your fuel pump is on it's way out causing the same condition which either of these two would cause sluggish performance. Just my .02.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

I removed my tank and emptied it out. Where is this fuel line that is inside of the tank? What does it look like so I can check mine while it is out. On mine, I have a pump that sits at the bottom. There's a breather tube and a filler tube of which both come off the top side of the tank and connect to the filler opening and a steel tube for the breather pipe.

Correct me if I am wrong but, the pump sits on the bottom of the tank. This is where the fuel is drawn in. The pump is a one piece unit on mine. It has a sceen that sits on the bottom of the tank. This is where the fuel is drawn into so, if air were being drawn in, the tank would have to be almost completely empty for, I had about 3g in my tank and it still works without drawing air so, for someone that has a quarter of a tank, this should not be an issue unless- his pump and fuel tank is different than the 96 model that I have.

If it were a faulty pump- it may do this all the time regardless of fuel level.

Last edited by cmckenna; 08-25-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:17 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

It is the small piece of fuel line that connects the pump to the pickup line assembly. It is about two or three inches long with spring clamps on it or hose clamps if it has been replaced. They can crack with age and allow it to suck air with the fuel.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:27 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

IS this on the pump itself?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:36 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Yes it is on top of the fuel pump and connects the fuel pump to the steel line that exits through the top of the assembly. What kind of shape are the steel lines in inside the pickup assembly inside the tank? Can you take a pic and post it and I could put in it Paint and outline what I am trying to describe and perhaps see what your assembly looks like to see if i can spot where it could be drawing air in.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:24 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by speeddemon31176
Yes it is on top of the fuel pump and connects the fuel pump to the steel line that exits through the top of the assembly. What kind of shape are the steel lines in inside the pickup assembly inside the tank? Can you take a pic and post it and I could put in it Paint and outline what I am trying to describe and perhaps see what your assembly looks like to see if i can spot where it could be drawing air in.
See, I don't have any of that. My pump is plastic and an all one piece unit. The outlet is on top of the tank featuring a quick disconnect. Then there's a rubber hose coming off as well. No steel tubing or anything like that.

The pump comes right out of the tank in one piece. There's nothing to connect. It's a direct drop and go type of assembly. Simply drop it in, tighten the cap, reattach the tank, attach the fuel supply line and rubber hose and your done. Of course there's the filler tube and vent tube as well but, other than this, that's it. Nothing to connect in the tank- no steel tubing, no plastic tubing etc.

I just re-installed the tank hours ago- sorry. Don't feel like dropping and draining it again. I wanted to clean it out before installing the new fuel line and fuel rails this week. It's all done- it was clean other than a few foil tabs from fuel additive bottles.

Last edited by cmckenna; 08-25-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:55 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by speeddemon31176
Is yours a Diesel by any chance? I am going over this again just to double check but, according to the manual here, Diesels have what is called a fuel tank module. But, there's one other thing that could explain the difference between our tanks. EDIT: I just looked at your truck. It's gas I believe so, disregard the above.

Some tanks have what is called a pickup box inside and, that may be what your referring to. They started that in mid to late 96 and onward. Since yours is a 97, you have what is called a pickup box while mine, does not have one as it was made prior to that change.

Last edited by cmckenna; 08-26-2009 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Loss of Power on Acceleration