2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ha! just my luck... :'(

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:00 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ha! just my luck... :'(

So I was plagued by the P0601 engine code so I needed to get a new pcm. After my last paycheck came in I figured what the heck, lets order one and get that out of the way. I decided to go through napa but they were "R&R" (Return and rebuild) so I would have to ship my still functional pcm to them and I would be a sitting duck for 10 days or so. I decided that this wasn't what I really wanted and would rather just buy one, and return mine as a core once the new one was installed with no issues so there isn't any downtime except that 5 minutes that it takes to install. So another member last week posted up with the same PCM error code I had and he ran across a company called "Auto Computer Exchange". While their reviews that I found on google were less than stellar, I did find it hard to resist from the $189 remanufactured pcm and a lifetime warranty that sold on ebay (my bill came to $218 w/ 2nd day shipping option). Well things seem good, I order it early monday morning (Aug 31), I paid for the 2 day shipping option so it arrived today. I install it and what do I get? Can anybody guess? I look on my odometer and see "No Bus" .... Great, I just bought a remanufactured paper weight. On the up side even without the pcm the truck will start and has the meanest cam lope ever lol!

So I called the company and talked to a guy and told me I needed to let the truck idle for 5 minutes to learn the idle. I was like.... yeah thats not the problem, the computer isn't communicating with the truck. He was like "oh yeah we will get a new one out to you right away" and put me on hold. I was on for a couple minutes and then I hear "click". So I call back and the guy who answered I explained that I was just talking to someone not even a minute ago and got disconnected. He acted confused when I told him that for some reason, but I told him I needed to return the computer because it didn't work. He sent me to the warranty department were I talked to Andrea who seemed to be accomodating. I will find out tomorrow when I call to get a tracking number for the 2nd pcm as I requested it be sent out today so I can drive the truck home for labor day weekend.

I also called superchips since my tune is still locked in my old pcm and they are going take care of me so that was a weight lifted of my chest to say the least. The downside to the whole ordeal is that my new computer says that if I re-flash it, I loose my warranty with them... and since I have the lifetime warranty... I am screwed for a lifetime... lol but not really. I haven't decided what I want to do about my tuner yet.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:06 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will your sc work on a 98 Dak? If so and you decide to sell it cheap or at a discounted Jinx price let me know lol

Old 09-03-2009, 12:11 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
I also called superchips since my tune is still locked in my old pcm and they are going take care of me so that was a weight lifted of my chest to say the least. The downside to the whole ordeal is that my new computer says that if I re-flash it, I loose my warranty with them... and since I have the lifetime warranty... I am screwed for a lifetime... lol but not really. I haven't decided what I want to do about my tuner yet.
Your SC should save the stock tune. Reflash or not, if you return/flash it to stock before you get any warranty work done (if you ever need to, that is), it should be fine.

Of course, if it completely wrecks on you and you can't reflash it to stock, they might be able to see you reflashed it after you send it in. Or maybe it'll crash so bad they won't be able to check. Judging by the sound of it, though, the company sounds a little fishy. I bet they won't stand behind their warranty much, although your 2nd PCM (the one supposedly coming in the mail) may prove me wrong.

Last edited by jasonw; 09-03-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:20 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know a dak guy who wants one if you decide to sell it. Fiqures I just got one lol.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Dude, you should have gone with your gut instinct. If their reviews were not stellar, that should have been it for ya. You have to fight that Greed Monster, it can get you in lots of trouble at times.

BTW Jason, these are computer people, they can tell if the computer has been flashed or not. I don't think their warranty says it's OK as long as you get it back to stock, I think they mean, NEVER been flashed. That is a very expensive gamble that I wouldn't take without asking first.

Last edited by Ram15002ndGen; 09-03-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:08 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

It depends on how good their "computer people" are. I have read of many companies that have less than stellar computer people still making money on computers.

But yes, if they are true programmers, they will be able to tell the difference.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm looking on the bright side. i bet the replacement will work fine.
+1 on you superchips can be installed/re-installed, and the pcm people probably won't ever know the difference.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jasonw
It depends on how good their "computer people" are. I have read of many companies that have less than stellar computer people still making money on computers.

But yes, if they are true programmers, they will be able to tell the difference.
If (MparProg > you ){
dont flash;

else {

Screwthem;
}

Old 09-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Jason is right, there are a lot of dumb a$$ computer people out there with all sorts of certificates that don't know jack. The problem is that all they need is one smart guy (or gal) and or one person that gets a hair up their butt and wants to check out your computer for any reason to deny your warranty. Most companies (specially this one by the way they acted on the phone) don't like to fix things under warranty cause they make no money.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Mowhawk
If (MparProg > you ){
dont flash;

else {

Screwthem;
}
that is all

forgot to ask, what format do you program in, ive used C+ or C++ i can't remember, highschool was too long ago

Last edited by 95MaroonMonster; 09-03-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Ha! just my luck... :'(