2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PLEASE Where is the crankshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

RedRam,

just for future reference, you may need to take the parts with you when you go to the store.

On the 2001 models, D/C started running out of parts for the 2nd gen models and started swapping in stock from their 2001 models.

The O2 sensors on my truck are square connectors, but if you go to any Parts store, they're computer will tell them to give you a round connector. Also, the Crank Position Sensor wire is too short on the 2001 parts computer list, but in both cases, a 2002 part worked correctly.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmckenna
Never buy your parts at Autoclone. What they do is buy seconds. I went though- lets's see, I think it was around 3 T-stats before I got really f-ing pissed off and went back in there where I finally was told "hey, don't buy our T-stats". "They are all over the place as far as temp ratings are concerned"

Those T-stats are made in Mexico and, like most of the stuff made down there- it doesn't work for ****.
I gotta agree with you there. I have looked at their stuff thinking of saving a couple of bucks, and most of it looks crappy. The fit and finish just didn't look up to snuff, so I get my parts at Oreillys or Pep Boys. I may pay a few bucks more, but definitely better quality. It's just like the stuff at Harbor Freight. It looks cheap, so I don't get anything there that I expect high performance from, or durability. Like Aims says, you get the "consumables" at Harbor Freight.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:19 PM
RedRam01

Thanks for all the input guys. I was in the garage until 1:30 am and finally got the sensor changed. My body is sore today after having been all twisted up trying to find a comfortable way to get to it. Turned out that is was the Crank position sensor which was causing my stalling issues. I will post a summary of the path I took to get my truck back on the reliable side.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:42 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No doubt- the CPS was the issue after all. Were there any other symptoms other than the stalling?

Old 09-09-2009, 07:13 PM
RedRam01

cmckenna, I didn't notice any other symptons other than the whole "stalling and almost getting me killed in traffic" symptom. My truck does feel as though the wheels are stuck to the road as it seems rather sluggish or the gearing is off.

Quick Reply: PLEASE Where is the crankshaft position sensor