2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buyers Remorse....Help with 96 Ram PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:13 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Raymond, too bad we are not closer. There is someone here from Derry also.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

when I bought my truck it only had first and second gear also and it ended up being the governer pressure sensor and solenoid ($200 repair) so keep it mind it could be an electrical thing with the tranny....that is is your actually getting it in drive and not 2nd....

Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Nhxj4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
when I bought my truck it only had first and second gear also and it ended up being the governer pressure sensor and solenoid ($200 repair) so keep it mind it could be an electrical thing with the tranny....that is is your actually getting it in drive and not 2nd....
I will keep that in mind Auggie. I'm optimistic now though. I got under there after work to take a look and they did NOT extend the linkage. They cut it...but then welded it back together, essentially actually making it shorter. I went to HD and bought a rod, I'll weld it in tomorrow after work and see what I got.

Todd

Old 09-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Nhxj4x4

Well I take back my above statement. They did extent the linkage. I was looking at the frame rail, however they did it at the firewall where the column attaches to the steering shaft. A nice 3" extension was alive and well. After finding that out I went under there started shifting it by hand. I have no D, plain and simple no D.

I inspected the plenum gasket as well...I don't really have one to speak of I think judging by the amount of stuff that I saw through the throttle body. I Seafoamed her and that did make a small difference. I replaced the signal flasher relay and I still have no signals. The brake lights still do not work. I attempted to bleed the brakes but the previous owner broke all of them. In fact on of them just has a bolt in it I think.

I think I have abandoned ship and that I am going to attempt to sell it again. Like a previous poster said a 2K running 4WD truck with new 35's is certainly worth something to someone. I just hope I can find that someone quick and find a truck that is suitable and perhaps lower than this one.

I sincerely thank all of you for your input and help along my very short attempt.

Todd

Old 09-24-2009, 05:59 AM
estech2
Professional
Default Welcome to Dodge Ram Land.

Promise once you get the "Bugs" worked out you will love it!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

it can still be a cheap electrical fix as far as the tranny.....

Old 09-24-2009, 10:03 AM
UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Originally Posted by Nhxj4x4
I agree, the frame is in good shape. I'm in NH so I certainly know about rot, and the only rotted part is the rocker panels. I found those for $140 shipped for the pair so not bad there. My concern is making this a SAFE, fun truck for my family. As it sits now, my dog isn't allowed in there. I plan to spend the better part of this weekend working on it.
Hey there, quick q...you said you found complete rockers for $140 shipped, do you have a link? Mine are toast. Debating on making my own patches or just buying (if they look half way quality) Hope you get it ironed out, Im also a new 96 owner frustrated with many driveability issues, but they will all work out.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Nhxj4x4

Originally Posted by UnIOnViLLEHauNT
Hey there, quick q...you said you found complete rockers for $140 shipped, do you have a link? Mine are toast. Debating on making my own patches or just buying (if they look half way quality) Hope you get it ironed out, Im also a new 96 owner frustrated with many driveability issues, but they will all work out.
Sure, try http://www.pickupspecialties.com/roc...ker_panels.htm and use coupon code "dealtime" for 10% off.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Nhxj4x4

it can still be a cheap electrical fix as far as the tranny.....
Which part was that again Auggie? The trans is the reason that I am selling her again. I don't understand where the hell D could have gone. Also I don't understand why the shift column is so screwed up if in fact the extension has been done to the linkage. It's really depressing me actually. I like the truck a lot, I just didn't want a full blown project right now. I have my 1st kid coming in 5 weeks....etc etc.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Nhxj4x4

Nevermind Auggie I see it. I'll price those out and consider it if it doesn't sell this weekend. Still can't see what the lever would be so screwed though, and why I can't find D by manually shifting the transmission into D from underneath.

Quick Reply: Buyers Remorse....Help with 96 Ram PLEASE