2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just Isn't Right

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Woodwiz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Just Isn't Right

Ok here's the question of the week. I have a 2000 Ram 4x4 with a 360. Truck died on me at a store and wouldn't start. Found air in the fuel line got it out and every thing seemed ok. Drove it for about two weeks then going down the interstate it just cut off. Pulled over sat for a minute and it started right up. Went about 5 more miles and it died again. Had to have it towed to the house. Replaced the fuel pump relay truck started and acted fine. Drove it to relatives house about 70 miles away. No Problem. On way home it started acting up again. Will lose power like it is running out of gas. Pull over it starts right back up and runs again till it decides to quit. Getting really pissed...any one got any ideas? Oh yeah it's got right around 82000. miles and it shows no trouble codes.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like the fuel pump needs to be replaced

Old 09-26-2009, 02:03 PM
elementalnature
Professional

I agree with Zman. My truck would surge and have no ***** under acceleration. Idled perfectly however. But we replaced the fuel pump, filter, and threw in some some Lucas injector cleaner with 93 octane fuel and it cleared it up a lot.

The next problem is that the injectors are either stuck or worn beyond all belief so I'm getting rid of my Jimmy and buying a 1500.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:19 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, check your crank position sensor for dirt, oil and other debris / build up on the end. Remove it, clean it and apply clean motor oil to it and the gasket before reinstalling to prevent pushing the gasket into the bell housing/tranny due to friction.

I just had this issue myself in which, the truck would run great, then, it would start to die out. I got around to removing that, cleaning it and, now, it runs fine.

But, it also may be the fuel pump as was stated above. When, they go, it ranges from almost proper operating pressure with occasional hard starts to, rough idle to just stopping altogether.

So, it could be quite a few things actually.

-bad / intermittent fuel pump
-bad / intermittent CPS (tripping the ASD failsafe mechanism)
-bad / intermittent coil (no ignition)
-bad / intermittent ASD relay (cutting out power to injectors, fuel pump module etc)
-bad / faulty coil wire (no ignition)
-bad / intermittent coil supply voltage

There's a few more but, these are the most common modes of failure.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Woodwiz
Smile Thanks Guys

Thanks for all the great ideas. As soon as it drys up here( I'm in the flooded part of Georgia) I'll try out some of your ideas. I'll post to let you know if any of them work.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 PM
halfamil
All Star

+3 on the fuel pump.Mine acted the same way when the FP started going.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:40 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i work in a garage and the same thing happened to a 97 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9, would drive for 15-20 minutes, die out, but start back up. it was consistant, and we replaced the fuel pump and they havent returned (that was 3 months ago)

Old 09-28-2009, 07:49 PM
halfamil
All Star

You can put a gauge on the fuel rail.It must have 35-45 psi to run right

Old 09-29-2009, 12:08 AM
PsychoRookie

I had the same problems with my truck woodwiz. Then one day it would just not start at all. I replaced the fuel pump and it has been running since.

The rookie

Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by halfamil
You can put a gauge on the fuel rail.It must have 35-45 psi to run right
35 psi is a bit too low I thought. My Bosch injectors require a min of 40. Even at that, I was having errors due to running them between 40-42. I replaced the fuel pump and that gives me a steady 45 psi and, there's no more errors and hard starting / rough idle conditions.

It really depends on the flow rate / psi rating of the injectors.