2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

It finally went....damn

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 PM
1fast2liter
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is being rebuilt hd shift kit 5gear planetary ne tc extra clutch packs.. 2100 out the door.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
You should do what everyone says and spend a shiatload of money. After all, they are instant experts at what you can spend since they're not in your area and know all of the rates and prices.

I'm just saying....
what are you saying here? Is this a negative comment or something I really don't understand what your saying here...

Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's just being sarcastic. That's all. I don't think it was meant to be a negative comment if that's how you received it.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
Well...OP says thats the lowest estimate and its a reputable shop....just sayin' .

When I want a tranny done, I have found that the shops rep is as important than the price. Back in the day, I always worked on having a good raport with my tranny guy.

For the record, My tranny cost about 1800 oo out the door, with a new converter. Shoulda been easy to flush my cooler since theres no check valve, and I asked him to. He also installed my deep pan and didn't charge me extra for any fluid he used.
The shop was highly recommended by several people and I liked the guy and his attitude when I met him. The tranny runs cool and shifts firmly.

My last tranny was a 904 out of an 85 Van. It was 495 out the door, with a used planetary (mine went BANG) and a converter flush. Back in '99 the same guy quoted me 1500oo to do my 97 rams tranny (which hadn't died yet) and that was with a bunch of extra work.

I suggest the OP consider installing a shift kit, temp guage, larger cooler, and maybe a deep pan if funds permit, and in that order. Many guys are against this, but I recommend junking the check valve too.

See, I even spent more of his money...but I'm a salesman.
Some salesman. I didn't see any mention of a hooker.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

Originally Posted by J415
He's just being sarcastic. That's all. I don't think it was meant to be a negative comment if that's how you received it.
ah ok i figured that but wasnt sure lol

Old 11-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumpwr16
And yes I towed on a regular basis its a truck thats what its for lol
well a 1500 isnt really ideal for heavy towing on a regular basis.(even with the towing package thats why theirs the heavier trannys in the 2500/3500s)...and most people dont actually tow with their trucks ....just like most corvette owners dont race them? many just buy them mainly for the image, hell look at those here who just race em or use them offroad or lowered them?
it was a good question to ask with about a 50/50 chance of yes or no so I dont see how it was funny.....I guess I'll assume you have the towing package with the heavy duty tranny cooler then huh?....If not maybe thats why it burned up?.... No need to get cop an attitude man, I'm just trying to help you figure out what might have caused it to **** the bed and why the fluid was dark.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-17-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
well a 1500 isnt really ideal for heavy towing on a regular basis.(even with the towing package thats why theirs the heavier tranny option in the 2500/3500s)...and most people dont actually tow with their trucks ....just like most corvette owners dont race them? many just buy them mainly for the image actually
it was a good question to ask with about a 50/50 chance of yes or no so I dont see how it was funny.....I guess I'll assume you have the towing package with the heavy duty tranny cooler then huh?....If not maybe thats why it burned up?.... No need to get cop an attitude man, I'm just trying to help you figure out what might have caused it to **** the bed and why the fluid was dark.
calm down guy im not copping an attitude lol yes i tow but nothing that it cant handle its a landscape trailer with mowers nothing crazy, and yes it has the factory tow package with hd tranny cooler. i appreciate the input

Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

calm down guy im not copping an attitude lol yes i tow but nothing that it cant handle its a landscape trailer with mowers nothing crazy, and yes it has the factory tow package with hd tranny cooler. i appreciate the input
sorry.... just seems like a lot of kids here lately who ask for help but act like they already know everything when you try to give it....guess it put my on the defensive lately....
And I know where vwdodge is comming from, its always the ones who have no experience with the reality of actually having to pay for the fixes they recommend that chime in the most.... they rant and rave about how they will never have the issue you do because they are gonna do this and gonna do that to their truck.....yeah as soon as daddy finishes paying for it and they are out of high school...then reality hits them (and i'm not saying that happened on this thread) I'll get off my soapbox now....
rough day! My trucks in the shop getting very expensive repairs from the last owner apparently beating the crap out of it.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
sorry.... just seems like a lot of kids here lately who ask for help but act like they already know everything when you try to give it....guess it put my on the defensive lately....
And I know where vwdodge is comming from, its always the ones who have no experience with the reality of actually having to pay for the fixes they recommend that chime in the most.... they rant and rave about how they will never have the issue you do because they are gonna do this and gonna do that to their truck.....yeah as soon as daddy finishes paying for it and they are out of high school...then reality hits them (and i'm not saying that happened on this thread) I'll get off my soapbox now....
rough day! My trucks in the shop getting very expensive repairs from the last owner apparently beating the crap out of it.
no worries man, i was looking for opinions and advice i know i dont know everything and appreciate your input. and yeah, im not one of those kids that had the truck bought for me lol. i bought it myself, insure it, repair, and fill the tank myself, thats why this hurts so much, kind of a pricey repair for a 20 year old.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

no worries man, i was looking for opinions and advice i know i dont know everything and appreciate your input. and yeah, im not one of those kids that had the truck bought for me lol. i bought it myself, insure it, repair, and fill the tank myself, thats why this hurts so much, kind of a pricey repair for a 20 year old.
tell me about it I'm forking out $800 bucks tomorrow for rear axle repair ....I gotta charge part of it...this trucks running me broke! sad part is I'm addicted to buying stuff I dont need for it and now I find all this stuff it does need after the fact!....Live and learn I guess....
BTW my tranny quit shifting out of first gear the day I put it on the road! (limp home mode is what its called) the guy I bought it from swore up and down it was good....It ended up just being the govenor pressure soleniod and sensor going bad though...threw a code 1741 I believe....so you might get lucky

I'm willing to bet many people got duped into getting their trannies rebuilt because of silly electronic issues that could be fixed cheaply.... Its got to contribute to the bad name our trannies have

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-17-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply: It finally went....damn